Buying new whistles.

Buying new whistles.

Hi !

The last time I played in a session, I got frustrated when they finally played I tune I knew, but realised after a few notes that they played it in A rather than in G….

So I thought it would be a good idea to get some new whistles !
But what keys should I start with ?

With my D whistle I can easily play in D, Bminor, G and Eminor.
I thought that an A whistle would be a good choice : for tunes in A and E, and also a G whistle for tunes in A minor and C.

And maybe a Eb whistle to play with records of Dervish !

Good choices ?

thanks & @+++++++++++++++++++ Dana

Posted by .

Re: Buying new whistles.

Buy a F# whistle!

mmh, that’ll provide the opportunity to play in some very unusual keys :D…

I think I’ll stick with playable stuff.

Posted by .

Because of my vocal range I like to play blues in F#. You’re welcome to sit in anytime.

Other than that throw in a C whistle and you’re good to go, but Fs are just fun to play and easy to stick in a pocket.

KFG

Posted by .

You might want to think about getting a set with different keys Syn makes one which has the keys of A through E chromaticaly which I will be getting soon. You get almost every high key you don’t get F, F#, G, or Ab but otherwise you have every other key from A below high D to E above High D for only $100 US. YOu can email the maker Erle at synwhistles@yahoo.com.au

Posted by .

Make one yourself and save your money!

This afternoon I’ll make an A low whistle, tomorrow morning you will find full instructions on my site: http://science.univr.it/~gonzato/whistle/

Goccia

Nice site, goccia.

I have a drawer half full of cheap whistles of many keys (and a few of strange origin that don’t seem to be in any particular key). But in sessions, I only play my Clarke D, which is what I started on. There has been much discussion on other websites, such as Chiff and Fipple, about the addictive behavior of buying too many whistles. Be cautious, lest you require a 12 step program to escape this addiction.

If you know the tune in G, then I think you’d need an E whistle(if I’ve got my intervals and scales right) to play it with the same fingering and have it come out in A. Of course if you’re comfortable transposing in your head and the tune stays in the right range you can also play it on an A whistle. An A whistle will be able to play easily in A and *D*, not E.

Chiff and Fipple has an explanation for whistle keys, here’s the link (I hope):

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whistlekeys.html

Excellent instructions Goccia, and the whistles sound great! I’d give it a go myself but fear slicing off a finger!