Recordings …

Recordings …

After having a look through the ‘Recordings’ section on < thesession > and seeing some interesting possibilities, it became apparent that often there is no information about a
recordings current availability. Where to get the recording (if possible) or even what label it was recorded under. Unfortunately, I’m guilty of this myself. Anyway, I was wondering if the ‘powers-to-be’ could make some sort of addition in ‘the submit recording’ section so that this information is not forgotten. There seems to be a lot of interesting recordings that I’d like to acquire but in many cases I don’t know where to get them.
Cheers,
PrairieDawg

Re: Recordings …

Dawg, ossianusa.com, celticgrooves.com, elderly.com (inexpensive imports!), custysmusic.com, foltrax.org and the claddah and topic and other record company websites are good places to find a lot of good music.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for there, ask about a particular recording here, and someone may be able to help you find it or even may send you a copy if it is out of print.

Hey 2ndFiddle,
I tried www.foltrax.org and got a "Page not found". Is there a typo here?

yes woodenflute—sorry:

That should have been:

FOLKTRAX.org ,

which is Peter Kennedy’s catalogue of (noncommercial) field recordings, the majority of the Irish ones which seem to be from about 1951 to about 1958. Kennedy makes his collection available to educational institutions and also will burn copies for traditional musicians at 10 pounds stirling each, minus one pound for additional orders, with postage anywhere in the world at 10% air, or 5% surface.

Kennedy was an English collector for the BB back in the day doing the same kind of great work as Ennis and Lomax. If you do a search on him you will see that many members of The Session or of IRTRAD are not great fans of his because they feel he does not have firm copyright to much of his cataolgue, but I’m willing to bet that though they might criticize him in public they’ve still got his material in their collections, because there really is a lot of truly great stuff there.

There isn’t as much flute in the folktrax catalogue as you could wish, but there is some. A solo Paddy Taylor disc on I think a Boehme system flute, and a Paddy Breen disc, some of which is not flute but flageolet. There is also a whistle disc (Sean McGuire Sr. of Belfast in about 1952, with Sean Jr. accompanying on fiddle on a couple of sets. I haven’t heard those three recordings yet because I have mostly been listening to fiddle, but I have them all on order. I think those are the only discs dedicated solely to Irish flute or whistle, but there are flute players and whistlers on a number of other discs as well. There is some great piping in the catalogue— Felix Doran, Willie Clancy, and Seamus Ennis—and loads of good fiddle, including Neillidh Boyle (this disc is a masterpiece!), John Mick & Simi Doherty (including a film of John), Michael Gorman, Bobby Casey, a young Sean McGuire, Johnny Pickering, Frank Cassidy and a host of others. Seamus Ennis even plays fiddle on a few tunes on one disc. But the folktrax catalog also has loads of Scottish and especially English stuff and has many great singers too. I’m a huge fan. I especially like the discs that have interviews and stories on them. For instance, I heard a 1970s WIllie Clancy interview off the RTE website where he said his first tune (on the whistle, at 5 years old) was Father O’Flynn. It was really interesting to hear him saying exactly the same thing, in a different way, in the 1950s to PK, and adding that his second tune, and the first one he taught himself, was The Wearing of the Green. So much for that recent thread mocking TWotG—if it’s good enough for a 5-year old Willie Clancy, it’s good enough for me :-)

um, that should have been, "pounds sterling," and "for the BBC."

Dawg, I also typo’d "Claddagh," in my first post. Their site is www.claddaghrecords.com. The Topic site is www.topicrecords.co.uk. Other record company sites include www.gael-linn.ie,
www.ossian.ie,
www.shanachie.com,
www.greenlinnet.com,
www.regorecords.com,
www.taramusic.com,
www.dararecords.com,
www.veteran.co.uk,
and there are many more sites others could add, check the "links" section.

you should also definitely check out:
Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann (CCE): www.comhaltas.com
Clo lar-Chonnachta: www.cic.ie, and The Coleman Irish Music Center www.colemanirishmusic.com.

Surely the simplest answer to any search is to just put the album name/title into Google and just look at all the possibilities open up from there.

Also don’t forget to check the discography pages at http://www.irishmusicreview.com - the most extensive ITM discography on the net where every extant label has a link to its site.

ATB,

Geoff