Altan Break-up?

Altan Break-up?

I recently noticed that Altan has a new fiddler and Ciaran Tourish is in his own group, Ciaran Tourish and Friends. He recently played at the Baltimor Fiddle Fair, and I got more info off the website and where it said "Despite what some people are saying, Donegal’s finest Ciaran Tourish does indeed have some friends…" What happened??

Athena

Posted by .

Re: Altan Break-up?

You had me worried when I saw the thread headline but I’m glad to see, at least, that it’s only a change of fiddler. Of course, it would have been a shame if there was bad feeling.

Ciaran is also the second fiddler in the band to play alongside Mairead and the boys. There was Paul O’Shaugnessy before him. Hopefully, the bad will continue from strength to strength with a new line up. As long Mairead stays, I’ll be happy.

I don’t have any great info on this but I do notice that Mairead and Dermot Byrne are doing a hell of a lot of gigs on their own at the moment. Last week in the Crane in Galway as well as a few other festivals around the country.

I don’t believe this one bit. Mairéad and Dermot have been playing gigs for years and Ciarán has collaberated with other musicians also, as have Daithí Sproule, Mark Kelly and Ciarán Curran! Who is this other fiddler anyway?

His name is also Ciaran… I’m afraid I don’t remember the lastname, began with M… not Mhaonaigh

Posted by .

Allow me to set the record straight on this. I work with the band Altan (as their manager) and I would like to absolutely assure Athena,and others, that Altan are not breaking up nor have they any plans to do so. They do not have any new members nor has anyone left the band. Ciaran Tourish remains a member of the band. In fact, we are just back from Belfast where the band played a gig in front of 3,500 people in Custom House Square last night as part of the BBC Radio Ulster 30th Anniversary celebrations. Also on the bill were Cara Dillon, Andy White, Juliet Turner and Brian Kennedy. This concert was broadcast live on BBC Radio Ulster and listeners will have heard Ciaran Tourish playing up a storm alongside fellow Altan members Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, Ciaran Curran, Mark Kelly, Dermot Byrne and our regular guest bodhrán player, Jim Higgins. Altan have a new album just released in Europe entitled "Local Ground" and Irish list members who wish to categorically assure themselves that Ciaran T still plays with the band will have the opportunity to see and hear the man himself play with Altan when they appear at Vicar St, Dublin on Thursday June 16th next.

Ciaran Tourish did play a gig in Baltimore , west Cork (which is not far from Athena’s hometown of Ballydehob) on Thursday 19 May last along with his friends, Arty McGlynn (guitar), Seán Potts (uilleann pipes) and Jim Higgins (bodhran). This was as part of the excellent series of gigs that Declan McCarthy runs under the Baltimore Fiddle Festival banner. Declan, incidently is a long time friend of Altan’s and at one time worked as the band’s tour manager. The following night, May 20th Ciaran played the Fiddle Fair as a member of Altan. Ciaran Tourish will shortly release his own album entitled "Down the Line" on Compass Records. It features range of guests including Arty McGlynn, Paul Brady, Maura O’Connell, Jim Higgins, Neil Martin, Phil Cunningham, Alison Krauss, Tim O’Brien, Percy Robinson, Darrell Scott, Kenny Malone and Viktor Krauss.

Posted by .

Athena, not sure where you "noticed" Altan had a new fiddler. I wonder when you write that this "new member’s" name begins with M might you be thinking of Ciaran O Maonaigh?

Ciaran O Maonaigh is a nephew of Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh but he is not a member of Altan. He has, on a number of occassions, guested with the band onstage for encores. Ciaran this year released his own fiddle album, Ceol a’Ghleanna/The Music of the Glen. He was the TG4 "Young Musician of the Year" in 2003 and while still in his early 20’s is a formidable fiddle player. It’s quite common for the Altan to invite musicians, who they know and who are familiar with the bands music, to get up and play with them for one or two numbers at the end of a concert. In fact, many bands do something similar. Another friend of the band who, when the opportunity presents itself, sometimes guests on encores is the fiddle player Dermot McLaughlin.

Posted by .

I’m very glad that they’re not breaking up!! Sorry if my confusion caused more. Tom s, it was mainly Declan’s comment on the fiddle fair website that got me worrying, along with the fact that Ciaran T was in a separate concert. As for the other fiddler, yes, it was Ciaran O Maonaigh. I saw it on the cover of a trad brochur, with Mairead and Dermot, and it was my mistake in thinking he was part of the group now. I’m sorry I couldn’t attend the Baltimor concerts, and look forward to hearing the new CD!!

Posted by .

Hiya Tom! It’s Anna, Nick’s daughter. We missed ya in Minneapolis this year! I love the new album, and that’s exciting to hear that Ciaran O Maonaigh has played a few times with the band. I hope to see ya over in Ireland in August. I should be visiting Dermot, Mairead, and Nia then. -Anna

Posted by .

Glad to hear that the suspected problem was not true—as Altan is as good as they ever are. The members getting out and doing gigs with others on occasion is a good thing—helps the creative juices keep flowing. And glad Ciaran Tourish is putting out his own album on Compass, he is an awsome talent, and I bet it will be GREAT!

might aswell say spent all day yesterday listening to ciarans new album and it IS amazing! you can find out more about it at www.ciarantourish.com which is also in the links section.

Posted by .