Classic sets

Classic sets

I’m interested to see whether people here play classic sets in their sessions. I’m talking about stuff like Tarbolton/Longford Collector/Sailor’s Bonnet, Tulla/Skylark/Roaring Mary etc. How many of these can we come up with? I’m also interested to know if anyone has had problems trying to alter these sets, only to have the other musos carry on into the next tune of the classic set regardless.

Re: Classic sets

It’s funny Dow but the two you mention would be the first that I would also have thought of. Others would be Lord McDonalds and Ballinasloe Fair or O’Rourkes and the Irish Girl; also the two Copperplates not to mention the Bothy Band’s Salamanca, Banshee and Sailor’s Bonnet. My personal view is that these combinations should be respected as when they are separated the overall impact is lost.

Some things do change, I remember O’Rourke’s and the Wild Irishman. Then there’s The Teetotaller and The Scholar, sometimes with The Traveller as the third. Haste to the Wedding and Tripping up Stairs for obvious reasons.
It seems people change sets more often these days, but the old ones were played all the time , purely because they went very well together and it’s difficult to change a winning combination.

David you beat me to Kate and Chickens.

Posted by .

I generally try to avoid playing these sets in that fashion, but then I often play the Copperplates together, and Lord McDonald’s/Ballinasloe Fair and others. So, perhaps I am a hypocrite on the subject, but I doubt if I would ever force the issue at a session.

Posted by .

Boys of Bluehill/Harvest home, although I can never remember which is which or what order we play them in.

I’ve grown to really dislike Boys of the Bluehill/Harvest Home because they seem to be the only 2 tunes known by the tin whistle playing beggars that we had in Reading before the Council introduced a zero tolerance policy towards begging! It tends to be the moment in sessions when I go to the bar!

Speed the Plough/Shaskeen/Congress
Cuckoo’s Nest/Home Ruler
Tone Rowe’s/Rambling Pitchfork/The Black Rogue
Rose in the Heather/Caliope House/Going ot the Well….

I suppose if the to first were played, I’ll have a hard time to convince-on-the-spot the rest of the session to play something else for number three. On the other hand, if everybody is within yelling-distance……

Down the Broom/ The Gatehouse Maid (I heard it played in Sligo just once)
The Humours of Tullycrine/ Mickey Callaghan’s (from Clare)
Rolling in the Barrell/ The Tap Room/ The Earl’s Chair (from Paddy Canny and P.J. Hayes?)
Lady Anne Montgommery/ Maude Miller/ Molloy’s (popular, isn’t it?)
Taim in Arrears/ Hardiman the Fiddlers (piping classic)

The Old Time Wedding Reel x 3 (Cape Breton)
King George IV/ The Old King’s Reel/ The King’s Reel… (Seems standard in Cape Breton)

Da Full Rigged Ship/ Da New Rigged Ship

Ah, yes. I haven’t learned Molloy’s yet and play Come West along the Road after M. Miller. Then some other players frown at me.

Jimmy Allen
Winster gallop
Salmon Tails

not.

I’ve heard Kiss Me Kate following the Golden Keyboard. Many of these tune medleys originated on landmark recordings. Today tunes will show up in different circles for the same reason. But there can be conflicting ideas with the proliferation of influential recordings out today. I’ve witnessed some of these recording based tune medley train wrecks in action. For this reason I tend to come up with medleys I like and if they involve tunes that have recording bagage attached — I’ll let people know before I start the first tune what I have in mind. I tend to provide a movie trailer of sorts for most medleys I start for this reason, plus the fact that I don’t like to talk whilst playing.

Ah yes, ‘classic’ recorded sets. Some are good sets, some are poor. I can’t see why you’d want to stick to them if they aren’t particularly great…
I don’t care for the Tarbolton set myself, I think it’s actually less than the component parts, but that’s just a personal thing. Like Jack I’d rather make up my own sets, though there are a couple of Paddy Keenan sets I’m fond of playing (Condon’s Frolics/Eavesdropper, and Road To Rio/Shaskeen/Fermoy Lasses spring to mind)
But I’m a contrary beggar….

Or is that contrairy?

Anyway….

John Stenson’s #s 1 & 2
Dinny O’Brien’s/Farewell to Connaught
Those dreaded Planxty polkas
The John Bowe set (The Blackberry Blossom/Dick Gossip’s/The One After Dick Gossip’s)

…but like some people above have said, sticking to old so-called classic sets gets a bit boring and tedious, but they are good tools to: either getting a session warmed up, being polite to an out-of-town sessioneer who comes along to your session, and conversely if you’re at someone else’s session and you’re asked to start up a set, it’s often useful to stick to "classic" or at least standard sets, and also when you have just drunk that twelfth pint and you suddenly yet mysteriously run out of inspiration… then you go for the old warhorses (ermm…I mean *tunes*, guys!).

We play that big set from Out of the Wind Into the Sun, A jig then the reel of the jig and another four reels quite often. Banerman and Ian Stevenson are right in that some sets sets are so brilliantly put together that to take the tunes out of context is somehow disapointing

Posted .

"some sets sets are so brilliantly put together that to take the tunes out of context is somehow disapointing"

I’m a fan of playing established sets, but I have been delighted by different combinations of tunes from such sets without the slightest disappointment. Perhaps the efforts you experienced weren’t very inspired. Or is it the old dogs / new tricks thing?

There were melodies in Amajor that you could play as the third tune of any suites (jigs or reels). They lift any set purely because of the key. I personally have nothing against changing old combinations as long as they work.