Gay Ceili

Gay Ceili

Any thoughts on this one? I hear there is one coming up soon…I wonder do the boys dance with boys?! and girls with girls? (That’s nothing new anyway!)

Re: Gay Ceili

I heard Ceilí Minogue’s gigs in the George have been sold out.

Sorry.
I couldn’t resist.

Well, in the States a lot of towns have a Gay Pride Day during the month of June, so the timing would make sense.

It’s not *if* the boys dance with boys, it’s *how* the boys dance with boys. 🙂

I called for a ceili a few weeks ago when there were about 60 men and 4 women….and the boys had little option but to dance with the boys….don’t think they were gay….they were senior policemen….well I don’t think they were gay at the start of the evening but……

I thought all Ceilís were kind of gay!!!

Posted .

I played at a lesbian ceilidh awhile back in Dundee. I hadn’t given it a thought until about 10 minutes before we started that I had to call the dances and how to organise the sets etc. But they were very good humoured about it all.

Posted by .

You can always play them ‘out with the boys’ and ‘the Killarney boys of pleasure’

Posted by .

or The Rollicking Boys Around Tandernagee …
Or that classic, Brighton Camp (The Girl I Left Behind Me)

There’s a monthly "Gender-Free" Contradance in my neighborhood in Boston. Whomever leads wears an armband, and couples are made up of a "bare-arm" and an "arm-band," There are lots of gay/lesbian couples who attend as well as people in the community who just want to dance without worrying about partners, etc.

We did a lesbian ceilidh a couple of years ago. Members of the band were the only men allowed in the room and I was the only straight women., although there were a number of bi-sexuals The rest of the band said that men would pay good money to see what they saw that night!!
And when we were invited to do the gig again we weren’t short of volunteer roadies!!

There used to be a lesbian disco every so often in the upstairs room of the Duke of York while the session was going on - but they didn’t venture downstairs much…

Obvious tunes…

‘Strike the Gay Harp’
‘Never was piping so Gay’
Around the house and mind the cross-dresser…

Speaking of ‘The George’, I remember that when the smoking ban came in, it was the only place left that you could go for a pint and a fag…

I suppose they speak Gay-Lick as well?

Mairi’s wedding - perfect theme for the parade.

So now we are homophobic on this site?

Well you have always got the tunes that are the absolute antithesis of gay - such as the Burns tune and poem "Cock up your beaver"

Apologies to anyone with a weak heart!! I am quoting and in this case the beaver is the feather in your hat!!

Oh and I am sure this is all in good jest Bliss and the posters here (at least so far) are not homophoebic.

I detest "snide" comments, as does someone else I know.

Is it homophobic to help a drag queen friend perfect his "real fish" (ie adequately girlie) walk? And advise him on his dresses and makeup? And tell him where to find pretty shoes in a size 11EE? And give him a shoulder to cry on about his man trouble?

Then I guess I must be homophobic… Either that or the Blisster is having a windup today. Hmmm, I wonder which one is more likely.
🙂

You "fiddlemouse" are innocent of all charges, some of the other comments could breach equality laws.

Hey Bliss, I hope you weren’t calling my comments snide. They certainly weren’t meant to be and I really do not mean any offence to anyone.

Certainly not Alistair, the guilty know who they are..

Bliss, Bliss, Bliss. Are you running for the title of Session Grouch?

Session Guardian, of freedom of expression, freedom of opinion, as long as you don’t insult someone. And consistency.

Years ago my band found ourselves playing a gay barndance. I was trying to call, and having some difficulties, as without the male/female polarity you’ve lost one of your points of reference.
"You could try having a doms and a subs side" suggested one wag.
The worst bit was someone pinched my hat as we left - I was very proud of my (almost a)cowboy hat.

BB - are you mental? Ive seen nothing snide on this thread at all! Except this post that I am writing now.

Posted by .

Yowch! That sounded *way* harsher than I meant - Sorry BB, Just meant that I cant see anything dodgy in any of the previous posts.

Posted by .

I’ll have another bacardi and coke please, Myfanwy.

hahhaa!

Posted by .

You’ve made you a gay bed, now lie in it!!!

Maybe series 2 is on dvd in the uk dowsie!

Posted by .

"Oh I just dream of the day when I can meet other gays who know what it’s like to be a gay".

"you’re not a gay, just a little bit poofy"

Posted by .

We’ve really got to get a new act Dowsie - I’m sure everyone is starting to get very bored of our ‘Little Britain’ impersonations!

Posted by .

It wouldn’t be so bad, I suppose, if I could find the time to be a telly watcher. 😉

Then I’d know what you were on about!

Posted by .

yabbut nobbit yabbut nobbit yabbit so ANYway…..

This is really making a lot of sense now.

Be vewwy vewwy quiet - Emily’s hunting yabbits…

Posted by .

"I’ll give her a piece of my gay mind!"

Dodgyness is measured by the recipient of the comment, in short could someone possibly be offended by the comment. You and I may find a comment made to be harmless, but someone else could object. Equality law is all about perception.

The comment "you are not gay, just a little poofy" would be taken as offensive by a lot of people.

That’s precisely the sort of homophobic attitude I’ve come to expect on this website. Good *day*!

Tish, I’m also baffled by most of the posts posted here on the 17th. If they are referring to a tv series, what is it? BTW, I almost never watch tv - too busy most of the time playing music of one sort or another.

Trevor

Summat called "Little Britain", I think, Trevor. :-\

Posted by .

TV? You mean they still have homophobic programmes on the T.V.

I only watch politics, in short "Sopranoes" and "West Wing". Nothing else.

Hah, speaking of homophobia, I think I shall post a thread about that…

Cheers,
Armand

Whenever beebs and Dow start off on something incomprehensible, I can always fairly assume it’s something from "Little Britain". However, Dow will soon be moping about doing LB impressions all by his lonesome, so have pity on him. Beebs will be melting Conan’s brains for him soon enough, though, so maybe it’s him who deserves the pity!

Bliss dear, why Yank television, for god’s sake? Even I don’t watch that stuff. Well, except for the occasional The Simpsons episode.

Fair enough BB.
But little Britain is hilariously funny and is in fact written and acted by one gay man and one straight man. Just food for thought I suppose.

Posted by .

No Beebs it’s not "fair enough" - stop being so nice 🙂

I think I was subjected to the ‘Little Britain’ DVD before we even had time to enjoy our first cup of tea together in Sydney, kind of like that scene from ‘Clockwork Orange.’ Bliss, I adore West Wing on Bravo as well as the Daily Show (& Buffy the Vampire Slayer), it’s got to be smart for me to tolerate, & I’ve been tv-free since, um, like, gee…. well 1990? For me, it’s the commercials. Anyway, ‘Little Britain’ qualifies in the top ten. Why you are bent out of shape about ‘a little bit poofy’ is beyond me, but hey, I guess it just depends on your sense of humor.

Dow I am rolling over here at your comments, I can just hear you doing them, esp the good *day!* 🙂

Vicky Pollard is a teenage delinquent who lives in the town of Darkly Noone. Her incomprehensible rambling has exasperated, confused and generally annoyed everyone from her teacher, social worker and court barristers.

This is a girl who smokes in the swimming pool and has swapped her baby for a Westlife CD, when her social worker visits and can’t believe what she has done, Vicky replies "yeah I know, they’re rubbish".

Quotes from Vicky

"No but yeah but yeah but yeah no but yeah no but yeah… …but no because I’m not even going on the pill… …because Nadine reckons they stop you from getting pregnant."

"Oh… I can’t believe you just said that"

"Don’t give me evos!"

Ah! Thank you, everybody. I think I now feel more educated. More a man of the world.
Still don’t get round to watching tv, though.

Trevor

i guess they like tune like cock of the north