Workshops

Workshops

What do you look for in workshops, particularly banjo?

Posted by .

Re: Workshops

I give up. What do you look for in workshops etc …?

A workbench.
A vice.
A drill
A tool cupboard.
And a banjo!!

Posted by .

Overalls!

Don’t feed the bears (straight lines).

Usually I look for whatever tool I put down 15 seconds ago, which has now somehow vanished utterly.

Posted by .

But I’ve never looked for a banjo in a workshop, although I’ve xome across a couple.

Posted by .

Kris, I know. It’s the tool pixies that live in workshops but you almost never see them, except perhaps as a swift movement of a shadow out of the corner of your eye. If you do catch one the trick is never under any circumstances to let your eyes look away from the little fella, because then he really will vanish and you’ll never see him again. But if you can control him he will tell you where he’s hidden the tools.
Well, that’s what my granddad told me when I was a little lad, and he was a skilled mechanic, so it must be true.

Trevor

Very amusing folks, especially you Connor, hope you get as much info in Milltown next week….just trying to be prepared for the workshops I’m giving this summer……..

Posted by .

That clears up the ambiguity.

Trevor

I have suggestions. I started playing banjo recently, having played fiddle, guitar, and bouzouki before.

I would want advice on whether there’s any way I can play the banjo without getting horrible shooting pains in my right wrist and palm. I never had this problem picking tunes on the guitar, but I can’t really anchor my hand in quite the same way on banjo.

You could discuss picking. I noticed recently that I do alot of down-down picking. For jigs I pick down-up-down, down-up-down. And after picking triplets d-u-d, I usually pick the next note down again. I freaked out and thought, maybe I shouldn’t do that. But lots of people on this site said they did those things too.

Other pick tricks would be nice to hear about. Do you recommend letting the pick follow through from one string to the next? I think this is done on some recordings I’ve listened to, in order to go very quickly from one string to the next.

Do you do any arpeggiated chords on the banjo? I like the way gerry o’connor does that sometimes. It’s tough to come up with nice arpeggios to do though.

There’s some idea of what I would be hoping for, but I haven’t been playing banjo for long. Mostly the hand pain thing is what I’m dying to find a solution to.

Now come on, no39, we showed great restraint. There wasn’t a single banjo joke.

Posted by .

This thread is an example of what can happen, although mercifully in a light-hearted manner in this instance, when a member doesn’t give any information in his or her personal profile; like instrument(s) played and standard reached (e.g. whether a teacher, clearly very useful to know here), approximate age, and approximate location on this globe.

Trevor

aye, sorry darren, couldnt resist it though, im sure youll get me back in milltown. Good luck in Drumshambo and i hope they are not too hard on you.