Suantraige_goltraige_gentraige

Suantraige_goltraige_gentraige

I propose to discuss about the old modes of ITM
I believe it means : (from Cath Maighe Tuireadh ; Battle of Moytura)
-suantraige : sleep
-goltraige : lament
-gentraige : hapiness
If someone has good informations about it, please let it know
Thanks

Re: Suantraige_goltraige_gentraige

hey, thats really nothing to do with traditional music at all, its just folklore on the magical properties of the harp in ancient ireland. thats going back to celtic times.
now to get technical! you might want to know that the spellings you have would be ye old gaelic, the proper ones are

sunatra

Posted by .

is that like in frank sunatrai. i didnt relaise he was Irish 🙂

George, have you decided to compete with Glauber for funniest non-sequiters? *grin*

M

Where did the legends stem from - Maybe it was the stout.

Zina no competition from me (but i couldnt resist). as they say in tennis - it was an open court)

well, concidering that they are from fairy tails, where the musician makes all his enemys fall asleep, then escapes or kills them its just colourful folklore.
just imagine, mairead after singing a suantra

Posted by .

Showing my ignorance

just a stupid comment from me (comment?) What are fiddlesticks?? Are they the bows? i’ve never understood it.

I hate "FOLKLORE" …

Hello there !
Thanks for your answers !
Thanks M

Ma

That’s my surname in Irish, "maol" does mean bald - but it also refers to monks (who are bald) & other devout people. Sunday is also synonymous with church for obvious reasons. The O Maol Dhomhnaigh surname is roughly "devout of the church". The Maloney’s originally came from the Tulla area & served the O’Brien clan.

As far as ancient harp verbiage, that’s fine if you

Good Lord Brad! Are you going to change your nickname every week??

BTW, this last one is good. Are you a Star Wars fan?

Tentatively putting my wee toes in the waters here…with several observations about the original question.

The names of the so-called "three strains" or "three musics" in the Old Irish texts are translated usually as:

suantraige - sleep strain
goltraige - weeping or sorrowful strain
geantraige - merry or joyful strain

They can’t really be considered "modes of early ITM", not in the way Aeolian, Dorian, etc, are modes in the musical sense. They were the three types of music that a master harper was to have mastered in order to be acknowledged as a master harper (if that doesn’t sound too circular…). In the old tales they were considered to have magical effect in the hands of such a harper (I presume only if the harper so intended. Otherwise every time they set hands to strings people would be laughing or crying or nodding off or something, and wouldn’t that get just a bit trying? I can imagine the poor harper longing for just an ordinary audience reaction, none of this magical music malarky).

In reality, I’m sure that a master musician then would have as marked an effect on people through his/her music as a master musician now (whatever the instrument of choice). If Frankie Gavin can make your spirit soar on hearing a tune, he’s done as much as any real 6th century harper could. (Legendary harpers are, of course, a different matter entirely, since legend is not dependent on truth.)

sl