Willie Clancy week: How can you travel from Ennis to Miltown Malbay???

Willie Clancy week: How can you travel from Ennis to Miltown Malbay???

How can you travel from Ennis to Miltown Malbay???
I heard from someone that there are special buses going there.

How long would it take?
I am travelling by train to Ennis….Is it worth my while going if I’m only there for a week-end?

Suggestions or tips are appreciated…Thanks

Flauta.

Re: Willie Clancy week: How can you travel from Ennis to Miltown Malbay???

They usually run a special bus from Ennis which leaves about 6.30pm from the railway station. Certainly, I’ve caught that on the Saturday the last 3 years running, so it seems a pretty steady fixture. Journey takes about 45 minutes. You could check this at the CIE website, or perhaps e-mail Bord Failte in Ennis. I’m relying on the bus myself, but I have met musicians in the past and shared a taxi.

Posted by .

Check with Bus Éireann - they run a bus service Ennis-Miltown

http://194.106.151.88/jplan/bin/query.exe/en?

Incidentally, anyone else arriving at Shannon airport on Friday night around 11? I’m on the 21.40 from Stansted and I’m getting a taxi from Shannon to Miltown. If anyone would like to share, let me know!

Cheers

Conán

2003: we never met before but knew/recognised us immediately by carrying instruments and where three, took a taxi from shannon to miltown/crosses of A. and my share was 16 euros…

Hehe the same type of thing happened to me last year. I was wandering around Shannon Airport and saw a couple of guys with instruments. I asked them if they wanted to share a taxi and it turned out they had hired a car. They offered us a lift straight off. They were a father and son; the dad was from Ireland and his son had been born and brought up in NZ - Wellington, I believe. The names escape me, but if you’re reading this you’ll know who you are! Thanks again.

Conán

Go to the sessions in Ennis and make some friends. Driving over to Miltown for a day or two is common. Then you have the means to get to that killer all-night session outside of town.

All previous answers are good and probably better. But I’d still like to suggest old fashioned hitch hiking if all else failed. I used to do that without any problems and I’m female and was one my own, though perhaps I’m just reckless.

Posted by .

Re: my thoughts are….Aer Arainn from Dub to Shannon etc..

Thanks Conan, I checked the website. It seems to be ok.

Whaddya think? I would nearly be faster and cheaper flying from Dublin to Shannon, and going to Miltown by taxi, or am I being extravant…?

I am travelling from Dublin. And I’m only there for the week-end. Is it worth my while being there for the two and half days (Fri eve, Sat, Sun)

And is going back to Ennis easy, hitching SL*?

When do all the musos start heading over…on the Friday evening mostly?

As suggested above - get yer thumb in gear. Generally pretty safe in Ireland and a lot of people enjoy the company of giving a hitch hiker a lift.

the website at www.cie.ie may help

Posted .

Im heading from dublin to ballinamore(connaucht fleadh) on fri 1/7/05 and then there is a couple of us travelling in convoy from ballinamore to milltown on saturday morning. I have space for one or two if anybody is travelling from Dublin and fancys takin in a fleadh for a night on the way. I think the accomodation is kind of ok as well as i have a few friends in ballinamore as long as ya dont mind a couch or floor etc.

I’d do plane-train rather than the extra Dublin-Shannon flight unless you find a mega cheap flight.

Hitching back to Ennis. Well, if you want to get back at night then I would try and ask around and arrange a lift back beforehand as you don’t want to be really standing around hitching at night. Daytime should be okay.

My rough guess at a taxi would be 30 euros from Ennis and almost double that from Shannon. It does not seem worth your while unless you’re loaded or have found fellow travellers.

And of course it’s worth it just for the weekend. Plenty of working folk and/or wusses (i.e. people who want some amount of recovery time rather than a week’s epic do just that).

Posted by .

Digs advertised at the school

Cheer, flanum, I may take you up on that.

That’s reassuring, SL*. But, I’m wondering how much (little ) sleep I’m going to get….a moot point all the same.

And it’s going to be difficult enough to get digs as well. I heard that the School in Miltown advertise digs. How realisable is that? Comments and experience welcome

From Flauta…

Digs advertised at the school

Thanks for reminding me "Wounded Husser"…will check cie too.

If you want some cash for the lift, Flanum, I’ll contribute, no problem. It’s Saturday a.m. at what time? Where is Ballinamore? Cheers

Sorry, SL* here is what I was referring to
* Will I be able to find digs QUICKLY in Miltown, if at all.
*If sessions go on til 6am, I would be pretty wrecked going to wk. Monday.

Regards

Flauta

I have seen all the adds up in the school for places to sleep but I’ve never tried that so I don’t know how well that works - someone here surely will have the lowdown on that.

As for being wrecked at work, er….yes, you’ll be pretty wrecked. What I was getting at is that I myself, though no old lady, are no longer up for the 9-odd days of partying and find that the one or two weekends plus maybe the odd day off during the week will do nicely and also preserves holidays.

Posted by .

flauta, you can camp on Spanish Point, which isn’t too far from Miltown Malbay. We also found a B & B with no reservation, (also at Spanish Point.) However, we didn’t use the B&B (paid for) OR the tent (fully constructed), as we were up all night playing tunes.

Accommodation

Dear Kerri,

Thank you for your suggestions re. accommodation. Just a quick question for you: Don’t you need a car to get to Spanish Point ? It’s not close enough to walk there.

I imagine it will be next to impossible to get digs with the amount of people visiting…

What’s it like travelling back from Miltown on Sunday, mobbed with week-end visitors?

To be honest, I forget exactly how far it is. I walked it, but I’m the type who regularly hears "you’re WALKING? Are you CRAZY? Why don’t you take a cab?" (By the way, there are cabs in Miltown Malbay during Willie Week).

If you want to avoid the mob, don’t go. The town is wall-to-wall mob for the whole week.

I don’t think it’s as bad as that, but that’s why I would recommend you should head for Mullagh at night. Miltown to Ennis I would think is about 20 - 25 miles - a fair walk.
There certainly used to be a bus to Dublin leaving Miltown in the late afternoon on a Sunday. Check with CIE.

Posted by .

If you’re talking about the walk from Miltown to Spanish Point, it’s about 20 minutes, give or take a few. There’s a shortcut down the lane opposite the GAA pitch.

I thought it was pretty bad, Kenny, but then again Canadians are used to having a lot of elbow room.

There are 4 of us coming in to Shannon from Stansted at 10 am, we are then heading to Ennis for a few beers - can anyone suggest a good pub for a few beers to start the weekend (im a first timer to Ennis & Willie Week ) .There is a 2.30pm bus from Ennis to Miltown (checked this on CIE website ) if anyone needs one around at that time.

Ive heard that the last weekend is normally better than the first , is this true cos it dosen’t seem so from the posts here??i guess its what you make it yourself !!

thats 10am Friday 01/07

Cruise’s is the oldest and most well-known pub. There’s another (forgot the name - Ciaran’s or something) that draws a younger, drunker crowd.

Thanks for the info Kerri will give both a go !! any recommendations for friday - Wednesday (you sound like you know the festival inside out!)

I don’t actually know much, I only popped over to Miltown Malbay from Ennis for a couple days. Took no classes, saw no concerts. Fought my way through various packed pubs in town and then ended up at a couple sessions out at nearby country pubs by virtue of going with the flow. I think i just win the award for being the biggest slacker at work as well as one of the more talkative members of this site.

At risk of sounding incredibly patronising, Flauta, I’m just going to say : It will be fine and something will come up.

You just can’t plan these festival thingies. You’ll probably end up missing that concert you planned on all year but catch a great session with people you never even heard of, meet some unlikely people, some unlikeable people and some great people but completely miss the people you know to be there and you’ll probably buy a daring shade of nailpolish (if you’re a girly person or a really cool guy). The abovementioned going with the flow really is the way, in my humble opinion.

Now I understand that you’d like the basics covered, namely getting there and having somewhere to rest your head, preferably somewhere in the vicinity of a session or two. But like I said, "something will come up". Either you’ll find accomodation at the school notice board, you’ll camp at Spanish Point and either will easily find a lift with people off to the secret session in McMiddleofnowherety’s or find yourself stuck in a corner of the Bellbridge and never make it anywhere else, or you fail completely to find any accomodation and the first person you tell of your woes is someone from this board who had a fight with their kazoo playing friend and has a spare bed. Or any combination thereof. It will happen, honest.

End of preachy speech.

Note 1. Yes, there are taxis in Miltown but they will be damn hard to get.

Note 2. Be aware that if you end up either sleeping or wanting to play outside of town, there’s a mini-van that drives up and down from Miltown to Mullagh that you can hop on for a few euro or so.

Posted by .

Yip, go with the flow - have a bit of a craic, a few pints, a dook and an ice cream at Spanish point. Re music, if I get a couple of reasonable quality sessions, with a few strong players, and not too busy, I count it as a good visit to the Willy week. Slàinte!

Posted by .

yeah the "mystery tour van" he he.

i agree with all of SL* wise words.
Flauta i sent ya an email as regards the accommodation i know of and also details of a lift if you need one.
Itll all work out anyway, might see you there. (Probably ill be in faheys a lot of the week.
bye.

As a Miltown Malbay person - born and bred - and also a member of this mental yet exclusive club called Irish Trad musicians, I would just like to say… Yes there ARE taxis in Miltown, It is NOT the back hole of nowhere, and regular buses are running throughout the week from Ennis to Miltown on account of the festival. So, I dont see how anyone should have a problem commuting during the week.

Hope you all enjoy the week, and hope to meet some of you here in my lovely town!!

Slán…..

Thanks for all of your help, guys, I’m overwhelmed and really appreciate this. Hope to bump into you…sometime

Flauta