Stack ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap!

Stack ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap!

Ryan Air’s Winter tickets have just gone on sale. Anyone wishing to fly to the Ennis Trad Fest, can get tickets to Shannon now for about a tenner (plus taxes and plus a rip-off Credit Card handling charge).
We just bought tickets for seven, and, all in, it added up to forty quid return each. Not bad!
Mark

Re: Stack ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap!

Now if only they can come up with enough money to fund the festival this year. Last I heard, they were about 10k Euros short. I believe flute player John Rynne heads up the fest.

Kevin Krell

I got an email through the site asking whether I was sure the Trad Fest was still on for this year (I would also have replied to the mail, but she doesn’t say exactly who she is, and it is not possible to reply directly to a mail via the Session).
According to the Trad Fest website (www.ennistradfestival.com):
‘The 2005 festival will take place from Thursday 10th November to Monday 14th November. Don’t miss it!,
If it doesn’t get off the ground, I suspect that enough people will still go to Ennis that weekend to make it a party! The way I look at it, there’s nothing to lose. If it’s on, it will be the usual madhouse, if it’s not on, there will still be sessions anyway, and it’s a great place to visit at any time …..

I loved the trad fest… had the time of my life.

I think that may well be my first trad festival ever. What’s the weather like round then?

Posted by .

What’s the weather like in the West Of Ireland in November?
… Ha .. Ha, Ha, Ha, … Ha, Ha !!!!

(Actually, last year it was glorious - we went walking up on the Burren near ‘Fathers Ted’s House’ in our tshirts. But it has been known to rain occasionally and be a wee bit chilly at that time of year …)

I think I would agree with Jack’s endorsment of the event, if only I could remember.

er, so would camping not be entirely stupid? (hey, what do I know? The coldest it gets in Cape Town is about 8 degrees celcius in the middle of winter)

Posted by .

I was amazed — the weather was no different than November in SF. Well, last year anyway. It rained as much here as it did in Ireland, but it was actually balmy a good few nights while I was in Ennis. I was there for three weeks. I remember walking home from the pub a few nights and the moon was out and there was hardly a breeze… lovely. Of course I had been drinking heavily, but I don’t think it effected my senses really… maybe. I was well medicated I guess. Could have been p*ssing down rain and I might not have noticed.

They usually put you up in accomodation if you are playing at the Ennis Trad Fest. Be prepared for TV cameras coming into your room at some un-godly hour to interview you though :| Great festival all the same. See: http://www.ennistradfestival.com/index.html - Check the "Past Guests" section to see the quality of: Bands, Musicians and Singers they have had in the past. (http://www.ennistradfestival.com/top_level/pastguests.asp incase it comes up in German) - hit the tri-colour icon if you are not a fluent German speaker ๐Ÿ™‚

> According to the Trad Fest website (www.ennistradfestival.com):
‘The 2005 festival will take place from Thursday 10th November to Monday 14th November. Don’t miss it!,

Er…I just went there and it said "This year’s festival will be 11th - 15th November 2004!"

question: which border collies played last year?

The ones with the waggily tails?

Er, Jerry, that’s because you’ve told Safari to supress any pop-ups, and the info (such as it is) about this year comes up on a pop-up.
It says:
‘The 2005 festival will take place from Thursday 10th November to Monday 14th November. Don’t miss it!’

Mark

So it does. It’s a funny way to run a website - put last years content on the main page and this years content somewhere where you can’t see it without changing two sets of browser settings.

I’m sure it’s jsut a case of finalising the program or something like that…

The webmaster for the festival is most likely just waiting on info for the finalised line-up. When I was asked to play at one of the paid seisiuns at it in 2000, I don’t think we were asked until August or September or something… Things here are just a bit more relaxed than they are in other countries, so I would look on it as music just being organised in true Irish style rather than robotic effeciency, which we’re not really used to here (yet). Sure November is ages away yet!

The wee pop-up thingy says:

"Welcome to the Ennis Trad Festival Website

The 2005 festival will take place from Thursday 10th November to Monday 14th November. Don’t miss it!

The 2004 site will be left up for you to browse until the summer, when our 2005 programme will be taking shape, but do keep in touch."

I think it’s probably better having that up, with the information from previous years, than having nothing at all?

Better to have a 2005 splashscreen on the main site indicating it will be up soon, with a link to last years content on an if-you-want-it-basis. That would avoid the confusion and would account for that bloody browser compatibility issue. Whata’ datastrophe! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Absolutely. You can’t rely on popups as many people have popup blockers on. Actually, you can’t rely on anything in web land - don’t get me started on IE/Safari/Opera/(insert any browser here)’s support for web standards or those people who turn off cookies and then email me asking why they can’t log in or….(cont. p. 94)

Jerry, I think it’s time for the medication.

There’s something to be said for purists…have a look at Jim Doran’s page and you’ll know what I mean. Great content, no fluff, great job. Unfortuantely an event or festival demands that extra pizzaz or people won’t take it seriously, which unfortuantely delves into the realm of the non-standard. I too could argue all day about web standards, but we’ll save that for slashdot.

Jim’s Site…
http://www.worldfiddlemusic.co.uk

I’m getting ideas all of a sudden. That just happens to be right around my birthday…

Fortunately the errant website, which I think has been done like that for the last 3 years, hasn’t adversely affected the event. More than enough people go. Maybe more efficient advertising would be counterproductive, and turn it into a Miltown Madhouse sort of affair.
Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned the Flight tickets going on sale.
Oh God, maybe I’ve ruined everything!

Relax, you haven’t ruined anything. I don’t think it will be as big as Willie Week. However, it could be as mad ๐Ÿ˜‰).
And as for the cheap flights, I was closely watching the Ryanair website for a long time and only waited for the dates of the festival to be confirmed.

I think the Ennis Trad Fest is better than Willy Week… of course I’ve never been to Willy Week.

Ennis Trad Fest is indeed, more fun than you can have with your clothes on.