Frankie Kennedy’s death

Frankie Kennedy’s death

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what kind of leukemia Frankie Kennedy died of? I have a friend who was just diagnosed with AML Leukemia.

Jonathan

Re: Frankie Kennedy’s death

Jonathan,

I’ve done a bit of research, as well, but most of the obits and other information posted in the wake of Frankie’s death in September, 1994 (has it REALLY been almost 11 years?) say not much more than “cancer.” The one more specific reference I have come up with stated that he had cancer of the throat, and no mention made of leukemia.

As a lymphoma survivor, I have access to a number of websites that are “out of the mainstream.” I’ll continue to try to find more specifics, unless someone on this list is more knowledgeable about the specifics.

Please pass along my very best wishes to your friend. No matter how dark some of the days ahead may seem, I would counsel that they begin to relate to self as a cancer survivor.

Wishing you the best, as well.

Thanks for doing the research. I am fairly certain it was leukemia. For some reason, I remember that specifically. There are a few mentions of Frankie dying of leukemia on the Internet, but definitely nothing more specific than that.

Frankie had cancer in his spine which affected his nerve function, indeed that was how he first realised there was a problem as he found he couldn’t play tunes properly on his last tour. It came on quite suddenly. I don’t know the specific form of the condition but suspect it is unlikely to be leukaemia (although there are many types).

Sounds like 2ndaries metastasised to his spine, then proliferated.
I remember being really gutted by his demise. I had a chat with him after a gig in London maybe about 1990 and what a gas man - really vibrant, funny and natural….F’ing this F’ing that. When I mentioned I played flute, him and Mairead were very curious as to why a Scotsman would be playing Irish flute music!

Lovely flute player also. Under-rated by some, in my view.

Frankie inspired many and his memory is worthy of more than an online autopsy. I do not chide Jonathan for reaching out and trying to understand, and I do not speak for Frankie’s family, but this conversation does not seem respectful of Frankie or his family.

Posted by .

Jodie… Get a grip.

On what?

Posted by .