Michael O’ Domnhaill

Michael O’ Domnhaill

Can anybody tell my about one of my favourite irish guitar players? ie. guitar tuning,most used chords,your favourite recording.

In my opinion,he has got something special in his playing,when you hear a tune backed by him,it seems that his chords are "the chords".

My favourite recording is Promenade,with fiddle legend Kevin Burke.

Rafix

Posted by .

Re: Michael O’ Domnhaill

Haven’t heard any new stuff from him but his reputation was built on his DADGAD playing in the late 70’s and early 80’s. All very basic and easy to copy if you’re into it. Two finger job all the way.

There’s a slight chance that someone will correct me on this if I’m wrong. Michael O’ Domnhaill’s playing may not be complex, but he did play a major role in transforming ITM accompaniment into what we hear all around us today. I would say his contribution has had as much impact as the introduction of the bouzouki, give or take an Fmaj7 chord.

"All very basic and easy to copy if you’re into it. Two finger job all the way"

Sure, but it was the way in which he thought about those chords; i..e, the placement and timing, that made his playing a treat. Great taste, imagination and a sweet right hand. The Old Torn Petticoat set never fails to impress me.

Posted by .

He’s one of the best,in my opinion.He may not be as flashy as some of the DADGAD players,but his chords were spot on.

By the way, he doesn’t use DADGAD exclusvely. The first time I saw him with Kevin Burke, he changed his tuning several times during the show.

Rafix, you got it right when you said "something special" and whats wrong with two fingered chords John?……. anyone can learn complex fingering, not everbody can do the basics right every time. You could’nt have a better role model. His interaction with Mr. Lunny were the backbone of THE sound (which has never been surpassed!)

For more recent examples of his playing check out the album Reprise with Paddy Glackin, some nice accompaniment on that album and some great tunes too.

Posted .

I think he’s great. Those 2 albums with Burke are a lesson in how to do it. Beautifully tied into what the fiddle is doing.

And I’m certainly not sure it’s easy.

Dagger

Nothing wrong with the two finger job at all. And I believe that he paved the way for the proliferation of the guitar in our tradition. I would even go as far as to say he was the most important guitar player of our tradition. However, Had guitar accompaniment not been developed further by the likes of McGlynn, Cooney, Boyd, Hennessey etc it would have been left to the zouks.