CHEAP beginner flute

CHEAP beginner flute

Hey. I was wondering if you guys could reccommend a good place to get a cheap beginner flute? I’ve been learning the silver flute and have developed a bit of an embouchere. I play whistle a lot and all and think it’d be cool to pick one up. I’m looking for sub $40 if possible, delrin or plastic is fine, credit cards accepted and in tune with itself (if not other instruments) is a must. Thank you

Re: CHEAP beginner flute

Check out this thread from last January: https://thesession.org/discussions/5556/comments

The Doug Tipple pvc flutes get rave reviews over on the Chiff and Fipple flute forum. I’ve never played one and don’t know what they cost.

Richard Reed in Cody WY makes a nice pvc flute in your price range. Email me (click on my member name) and I can put you in touch with him.

I’ve got a Dixon pvc flute that works now that I’ve spent two years developing an embouchure on a conical bore flute. But when I first got it, I couldn’t get any sound out of it at all. It’s still not a "real" flute—no back pressure, not as finely in tune with itself as a good conical bore, no real volume or depth of tone. To get all those qualities, you have to get away from the cylindrical bore flutes and invest in a wooden or polymer (Delrin) conical bore instrument.

Why not sell the silver flute so you can buy a Burns folk flute, or a Seery, M&E, or Paddy Ward Delrin?

Posted .

I say the Tipple it is only a few bucks more than you want to spend but I own two and love them both.

Posted by .

well, the silver is my sister’s that I got her for a birthday a few years back when I had $$. its silver-plated and open-holed and nice. she used to play, was like second in senior Massachusetts western district, when she was in highschool

If you’re in the under $100 category, then a Tipple is the only way to go. Prices range from $55 to $75 for a D flute, and they are great flutes. I have one of his original one piece flutes, and am waiting for the postman to bring me one of his new three piece tunable flutes in D and a small two piece tunable in G. I also have a lovely rosewood Sweetheart flute — and when I bought it I had to go through several flutes till I found one that sounded significantly better than my Tipple (seemed a reasonable criteria since I was paying ten times as much).

His website is http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

He is taking a temporary break from flutemaking while he settles his father’s estate, so he may not be able to make you one until the fall. However, when he’s in production, he’s really quick and can get one to you in a week or two.

Posted by .

I haven’t added my $0.02 in a while, but I’ll second (or is it third?) the suggestion for a Tipple. It was my first, and is not necessarily a "beginner’s" flute. Some think a beginner flute is something you can grow out of, but the Tipple stands on its own just fine. It is not a wooden flute, so it doesn’t sound like one. It is not a conical flute, so it doesn’t sound like one. It sounds like a Tipple and that is just fine for me, and for many other unsolicitied tesimonials you’ll find on the ‘net if you look hard enough.

Buy one. Or perhaps, buy two — they are cheap. 🙂 🙂

Oh, and BTW, if he still has some of it, and you’re looking for a D flute, ask for the "dimpled bore". It somehow magically corrects some of the intonation woes of cylindrical flutes. See Doug’s site for details (link above).

-C

I think he’s out of the dimpled bore pipe, but he now offers a wedge for $10 which does the same thing. My new one will have it (when, if ever, it gets out of the clutches of the Post Office).

Posted by .

My comment got lost in the sauce, so I’ll try it again;
He also tells you how to make your own, if you log on to his website - this is generosity beyond the call of duty, and deserves our congratulations.
Also our commiserations on his bereavement.

Ditto on the Tipple. But - again - it isn;t a conical flute and does not feel or sound like one. Good flute that works though.

Both the CB folk flute and the Sweet flute are good, playable instruments.

I like my M & E a lot.