Anyone going to the All-Ireland Fleadh in Letterkenny? (This is my first time)

Anyone going to the All-Ireland Fleadh in Letterkenny? (This is my first time)

Hi, I’ll give a quick introduction since I’m new here. I’m 17 years old and have been playing Irish Trad for about 2 1/2 years. I started off with classical piano since an early age and got my first introduction to playing Irish music at the Augusta Irish Week in WV two years ago. I started off with Piano Accompaniment and bodhran, started learning bouzouki about a year and a half ago, and started the tenor banjo this year.
I recently attended this year’s Willie Clancy Summer School, closely followed by the Catskills Irish Arts week.
I have a younger brother and sister, (also playing irish music) and some of you may know them. I’ve recently come under the impression that almost everyone knows my brother; : ) his name is Michael, he is 13 and he plays the Uillean Pipes and the Tin Whistle. My sister is Rachel, 15, and she plays the Fiddle and the Celtic Harp.

I’ve used this website for tune information for a good bit now, but I’ve only started keeping up with the discussions since I’ve gotten back from Willie Clancy Week. I’ve found all of them them to be most informative as well as quite entertaining, ; ) so I’ve decided to come out of lurkdom to tap the vast knowledge available.

I’m going to the All Irelands in Letterkenny this year for my first time, I’ll be competing in accompaniment 15-18 on piano. I’ll also be going the the school the week before, I think it’s called Scoil Eisha. Does anyone have any advice for me or any major head’s up’s (can that be right?) I’ve only been to one fleadh before and that was the midwest regional, so I’d imagine that All Irelands would be quite different.
Also, is anyone from this board planning on going? I think I’ve met a few people from here during my travels, (willie week, catskills) but I’d love to put faces to some of the names I’ve been seeing here.

Thanks alot!
Daniel

Re: Anyone going to the All-Ireland Fleadh in Letterkenny? (This is my first time)

am tired

Re: Anyone going to the All-Ireland Fleadh in Letterkenny? (This is my first time)

Hey Daniel! I’ll be there—I’m also from the US and am competing in the dreaded senior fiddle 😉 Also doing slow airs and expecting that to be a lot less pressure. Actually, I have a list of silly things to expect at the fleadh, since I went for my 1st time 2 years ago. If you’d like me to send it to you off-list, look me up at Tradmusic.com under Charlene Adzima for my e-mail address.
Best of luck to you and I hope to see you there!

Yeah, I’m going. Competing in the 15-18 fiddle slow airs. Might see you around and good luck, it’s pretty tough! Though a great experiance and good fun.

-Athena

Posted by .

Yeah, have the week booked off work and the tent all aired and ready for action. Should be a great week 🙂

Glad to see you’re all coming for the Éigse week - usually the best part of the Fleadh for a few tunes before the multitudes arrive at the weekend. Hopefully we’ll meet up at some stage - if I discover any particularly good session venue, I’ll flag it up and maybe ye’ll do likewise.

Thanks for all the replies! I know it’s going to be tough, being All Irelands and all. I hope to see all of you there!

My brother is also going to compete this year, in Uillean Pipes 12-15. He is also the one that is going to play for me in my competition so I can accompany him. Is there any way to check the schedule to make sure that the competitions don’t conflict?

Thanks!
Daniel

Hmm did someone not give you a timetable - that used to happen years ago when I was doing my own provincial fleadhs.

Interested to hear that you are backing pipes - I’m not sure that’s the best instrument to be playing with, mainly because of the drones, and also the difference in the tunings of the instruments (pipes aren’t in equal temperament usually). If you can grab a fiddle it’s a better bet!

If you do decide to grab a fiddler, try and get someone like Tommy Peoples, Mairéad Ní Maonaigh or Cathal Hayden - it would definitely be worth an extra few marks from the adjudicator!

My first all Ireland competition was last year. We were camping in Clonmel with some friends and found it really good.I must agree with some people up above - the scoil eigse is the best part of the week if you like the music side to it. My teacher has been warning us about the so called "pikeys" who run around with hurling sticks. (I think he was just trying to scare us though) Still, im looking forward to it. I like to meet the people i met last year.

I don’t think it’s there any more, but there was a pub called Fox’s which was used to house itinerant musicians during the Letterkenny festivals. Also several reasonable ones along the high street. A whistle and Bodhran player called Tim Fogg was sent diving in the Antarctic for plankton one year and Mrs Fox sent him a whole carton of Penguin Biscuits…………….

Hey, Daniel: Were you staying at Barker’s in Spanish Point? Your family is from Oklahoma? I think I met you when I first arrived, and was still trying to find a bed! We had a chat out in the gazebo……I made a last minute decision upoon returning home from Willie Week to head to Letterkenny. You’ll really enjoy Scoil Eigse - most kids say that’s the best part of the experience. And don’t spend too much time worrying about the competitions. Try the Fleadh website for scheduling info. Good luck! Maureen