Steve Diehl at a Crossroads

Steve Diehl at a Crossroads

I was wondering if anyone had any particular advice/help/hookups or random information for my situation. I am from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, being a very skilled 18 year old mandolin/bouzouki/guitar player. I was accepted to University of Limerick in Ireland recently for a bachelor’s in celtic guitar/mandolin performance but my financial situation looks like I won’t be able to pay for it now. What should I do? I know I am ready to play professionally. Know anyone wanting someone of my talents? Any really good cities to break into the scene? Anyone want to team up and take on the world? Let me know please.

Re: Steve Diehl at a Crossroads

“What should I do?”

Learn a trade and keep your day job?

KFG

Posted by .

What is this ‘scene’?
Get a job in a chipper.
Carry on enjoying making music.
Mark

some positive feedback would be nice

I am willing to move anywhere and take up a day job, it is just what is a good location to really learn the music? What are some of the best places in Ireland anyone would recommend?

You must go solo. Trust me, nobody else would be good enough to play with you. Don’t bother going to sessions if you’re ready to play professionally. Just skip all that and record your own solo CD. Your fans are out there waiting to worship you.

BTW I’m not sure where it would be best to base yourself, but don’t come to Sydney, there’s nobody here up to your standard, and not much of a “scene” here.

Move to Nashville or LA and find work as a studio musician until you have enough money to further your education.

Posted by .

Steve,
“Keep your day job” may not sound positive, but it is actually not bad advice. There is not a lot of money to be made in music, nor benefits like health coverage, nor many of the things needed to live a comfortable and happy life. And some people find that doing something for money sucks the joy out of it, so there is something to be said for keeping music as a sideline rather than primary profession.
On the other hand, you are young, and if you are going to try something adventurous, now is the time to do it.
If you want to move somewhere that has a thriving ITM scene , I would suggest Boston or New York, but along with the busy-ness is a lot of competition–you may find yourself a small frog in a big puddle.
I envy your youth, and your passion for the music, and wish you all the best for future success.

That’s very disappointing to be financially short for what I’m sure is a great program. We know a few families whose kids are in a similar boat – accepted by a terrific school, not enough money for it (in fact, that may be our daughters’ fate).
Obviously, I don’t know your fiscal situation – and, just as obviously, you certainly don’t have to reveal it. So when you say you won’t be able to pay to go to Limerick “for now,” does that mean you may have to wait for a year or two, or is it far more uncertain than that?
The reason I ask is, you may want to consider revamping your educational plans. Is there another, more affordable college to which you would consider going? Maybe you won’t be able to study exactly what you wanted, but are there some other interests and areas you can develop, whether pertaining to music or not?
Look at it this way: You find a college in a “hotbed” of Irish music, e.g. Boston, NY, Chicago, et al, that offers at least something that you want, so you still come away with a bachelor’s degree at least, as well as four years in a musical environment that would seem to be ideal for you.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with taking some time off between high school and college; in fact, that’s what more people your age are electing to do. But it helps to consider as many options as possible – the old “one door closes, another opens” thing. Maybe the program at Limerick is for a little further down the road you’re traveling.
Good luck, and tell us what you decide!

Posted by .