helpppp

helpppp

lately when i’m playing in a session i tune up and my flute is perfectly in tune and then i start playing and half way throught a tune my flute goes soo badly out of tune. my flute isnt leaking air or nething like that. it has only started to happen lately it never used to happen before. does anyone no what is causing the problem? plz help

Re: helpppp

Weird. What kind of flute is it?

Are you warming it up?

One thing that happened to me yesterday…we were playing a 4-tune set of some reels, and I noticed my tone sucking more and more. Turned out my mouth was slipping on the surface of the flute and I wasn;t paying attention to it.

no its not just wen im warming up it happens even when i have been playing for a long time. it’s a Keyser flute. (not really the best) but iv never had problems with it before and i do get a really gd tone out of it! but i really don’t no what the problem is!!

Need more info. Is it going sharp or flat? Do you have keys?

Could be as simple as a leaking pad on a key, dried out cork on the tenons, or oil spilled on the tuning slide making it prone to being loose. Or has something changed your embouchure?

What note do you tune to? Lots of fluters tune to G, but tuning to A and checking both octaves helps get the whole range more in tune.

Posted .

unless your flute is suffering from incurable flutitis, the the fact you can tune it up perfectly before playing means it’s ok. I assume it’s going sharp as either it warms up, or you become over-excited and start to over-blow it. Either way, just listen and moderate your embouchure and/or,twiddle your tuning slide.
Flutes are a pig to keep in tune (some a lot better than others).
I’ve just got a b/c box - I think that’s what all fluteplayers need to do in their dotage, to preserve their sanity and give themselves a brief respite from worrying about whether it’s them that’s out …. !

no its not keyed and it goes really sharp!!
i always do tune to A and 2 both octaves! and there is def no oil on the tuning slide!

haha im started to think it has incurable flutitis!!!!

my flute never seems to go flat at all!! its goes really really really sharp!!! its drivin me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

i never really thought of putting anything on the tuning slide as it wasn’t stiff of loose lol if that makes sense!

Beeswax and medicinal paraffin, that’s the stuff. Try not to read the warnings on the label for the paraffin though.
It’s a trifle worrying.

thanks very much!!!! def will worry now!!! haha

No, seriously…
DON’T READ THE LABEL!
Mark

hey I could be wrong, but I would say NEVER put waxy, parafinny, vaseliney type things on the tuning slide, it’s bad for the metal and will ultimately cause a build up of crap on the slide which will make it worse, use graphite, from a pencil, sounds scary but it’s actually far better for the flute. Fine to use on corks though.

Are you sure it’s your flute that’s going sharp? Maybe it *is* the piper, or the fiddler. *grin* Got new players at your session?

Posted .

If the flute is made of wood, it could be a hairline crack that opens when the flute is warmed up.

Almond oil is meant to stop this from happening. I use it on the inside of my flute and it keeps them from drying out.

I suspect though flutitis is the cause!

Sue

My instinct says dampness problem to me. I play wooden recorder and it literally will not make a sound if it gets too damp. Flutes are not usually as bad but a quick search shows someone has asked a question about a de keyser flute at http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?topic=3461 and the answers give suggestions for dealing with dampness - which tends to confirm my instinct.

yea i do oil the flute with almond oil so i dont think it is a hairline crack (hopefully)! and my flute is def going sharp!!!!!! its def not anyone else its def my flute it is really bad!
thanx gallopede for the link!!!!