Sources of tunes

Sources of tunes

Would it be too much to ask people to give the source of the tune they are submitting?

Re: Sources of tunes

I think if you take the time to get down the ABC, then you should invest a couple more minutes and enter a few comments about the tune too, including where it’s played, how it’s played, why it’s worth the time you spent getting down the ABC, etc.

By getting down the ABC i mean the person who posted the ABC, not the person downloading it.

Thanks glauber. I posted this after seeing that someone had posted a tune with the comment : "I don’t really know this tune…." . I didn’t bother to read the rest as I couldn’t nderstand why they were inflicting their ignorance on the rest of us. I wonder if they have the same approach in sessions. "Well I don’t really know this tune but I’ll play it anyway". I find it’s always best to play one you know.
Another reason I’d like the source of the tune is that it encourages people to go and listen (if the source is a recording). After all ITM is an oral tradition and written notation can only give the bare bones of a tune, It’s interesting when the source is from an album or an artist that I haven’t heard.

EXCELLENT SUGGESTION! I’m a novice session player in Iowa (not exactly an Irish music mecca) and have been somewhat burned by learning variants of standard tunes that leave other players scratching their heads. The version of "Flowing Bowl" posted here is different than the version in "O’Neil’s." Is it the version that is typically played these days? A transcription of the Solas recording, which is among the recordings cited with the posting? A personal arrangement? A local variant? I appreciate ALL the postings, and I can see the fun of learning different variations of tunes, but it would be great to know exactly what one is tackling!

I can’t help you with that particular tune as I don’t know the tune or recording. I suspect that the recordings are added automatically if the tune submitted matches a title already in the database. I notice that the Solas recording was submitted by a different person to the tune submitter.
The question of which version (or setting as it used to be called) to learn is a tricky one. Personally I wouldn’t rely on manuscripts. In O’Neill’s for example you can find settings of some tunes pretty much as commonly played today, whilst settings of other tunes are quite different with F sharps turned into naturals etc. I try to hear as many versions of a tune as I can but in the end just get on and learn some version. Unless it’s entirely different with sharps where everyone else plays naturals, you should be able to play along with other people. It’s important to keep your ears open in the session or even when listening to a recording. I frequently hit the rewind button when I hear something new on an old familiar tune.