University of Limerick

University of Limerick

Hi,
I will be a freshman at UL this fall in the BA Irish Music course. Is anyone else here also attending?

Erik

Re: University of Limerick

Has anyone else had a “stab” at this course?

Oops, sorry. Couldn’t resist.

I met a New Zealander named Brendan - flute player, with Grada Andy a couple of weeks ago, at my session…I know he did the course….

Are you on this site Brendan?if anyone else knows him - do they know if he’s on this site?
Stefan

The old stab joke, not sure if anyone outside Ireland gets it.

Anyway, going to UL should give you an edge.

Posted by .

Afew of my friends are going Mike Flue & Trish Fiddle

Reed

Errik, would you keep me posted on your experience? I am seriously considering UL for next year. I have to finish up high school here in America and then it’s prrobably off to UL for university.

Thanks,

Sean Earnest
Camp Hill, PA

Posted .

Ah me as well!! Well, I’m planning to go my Junior/Senior year. I think someone told me I should do my gen. eds first or whatever. Bah, I guess I would Rhode Island if I left Freshman year of college -_-;

Cheers,
Armand

Okay, somebody please explain the Old Stab joke now? Please?

Limerick’s nicknamed stab city. The campus though is in a very quiet suburb.

Limerick is known as “Stab City” because of its (locals would say unfair but lets not get into that) reputation for street violence. Its a long standing jibe and Limerick people are sick of the put down so its always trotted out to see if there is a reaction.

Don’t be put off if you’re thinking of going to UL - Limerick is no different to most urban areas, there are places that you shouldn’t go to day or night.

Before I am chased off by Limerick lovers - I am only providing this information because it was asked for and in the interest of ensuring that students don’t run away from the place because people ask what’s it like in Stab.

Posted by .

Looooovely. 🙂 Ta very much.

I wouldn’t go calling it stab city when you’re down there if I were you, and don’t go around asking “what the craic is between the ryan’s and the keane’s?” when out drinking/playing in town also :|

The music course is supposed to be very good.

Enjoy

i applied and got in to your same class, but i decided to attend berklee college of music instead.

i hope you have a great time, and i’d love to hear more about how the program goes- my email’s fiercefiddler@cocmast.net

take care and have fun!

Uh. Somewhat of a turn off. Oh well, quite true about what Cuso said about it’s not *just* Limerick. Hrmmm… fiercefiddler.. What course are you taking at Berklee?

Cheers,
Armand

Armand
Don’t let it be a turn off - it’s a joke intended to annoy people from Limerick. Make contact with former students and ask about their experiences - I doubt if any of them ever had a problem.
You just need to remember that Dublin, Limerick, Cork etc are large urban area’s so they have the same positives and negatives as other cities - its not different just because its Ireland.

Posted by .

I think they’ve all got the pont by now.

I’ll be goin this september. I was able to get enough loan money out and all that. Give me a shoutout and magicmansd007@aol.com if you want. We can form a gang and pretend we are cool in Ireland.

Hi lads, I’m hoping to be starting the Limerick course in September as well (I’m Reed’s mate Trish fiddle!) If you want another gang member email me on tricia@patriciaclark.co.uk 🙂

Posted by .

I wouldn’t want to get shot in my knee caps, so i’m staying out of that city.

Limerick rocks.

This guy I was sort of seeing while spending part of a summer at UL used to get very worried if we had to cross the campus after 10:00pm.

Then a bunch of musicians I was hanging out with when I went back in January used to wander through the town after 1, going from whatever pub we had been sessioning in to the Globe (I think), one of the few Limerick pubs open until 2am. I guess they figured we had enough instrument cases to fend off trouble. Or we could just take any banjos, accordions, and bodhrans out of their cases and anyone intending on causing trouble would run screaming.

Also hoping to go to Limerick this Sept … depending on A level results. Eek! Good luck everyone

Lizzyxx

Posted by .

as an MA trad student i think i can advise on the good and bad points about limerick,the BA is in its infancy so not really properly worked out students study loads of things in not very much detail,the MA is much better because you achieve the same results without being sidetracked and its only a year.Giving up four years to study trad is risky,who knows if this years graduates will find work,and the standard of the 4th year BA’s isnt that high.I know better musicians labouring on buliding sites and driving trucks,so it depends what you want to do.the MA is extremely worthwhile as it focuses on playing,go and get a degree in something else to fall back on and then do the MA because you love music not because you want to make loads of money.