Out of control !!!!!!!!!

Out of control !!!!!!!!!

I have so many tunes I want to learn. I gather the sheet music a little at a time & before you know it, I’m snowed under with so many tunes to learn. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. But it gets really exhausting after awhile. I just can’t stop. I’m out of control. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an ITM Anonymous number I can call?

Re: Out of control !!!!!!!!!

You might want to take time to slow down and practice the tunes you already have. When you feel that you have everything undercontrol just continue.

In the last 3 minutes I just printed out another tune to learn. See what I mean ??????!!!!!!!!!

?

Yeah I think we’ve all been there, & many of our ‘to learn’ lists are longer than the tunes we already know. I think Zina explained it best to me once. You’re just gathering pieces of a puzzle, & the longer you play & show up for sessions, soon you’ll see the puzzle pieces coming together in gorgeous & unexpected ways. There’s nothing for it but time & patience. Just keep listening & keep showing up & keep listening & keep showing up, oh & keep playing of course, & it will all start to make more & more sense, & that’s when you realize you know even less than you thought you did. Even the greatest musicians out there will tell you, the more you immerse yourself in the tradition, the more complex & multi-leveled it will become. Don’t burn out on a sprint, if you’re really serious, it’s a lifetime marathon of learning, loving & playing!

$.02, but just keep having fun, for pete sake!!

If you can, try to learn by listening rather than learn by reading. Nothing wrong with either method, but in the long run the listening approach will be quicker and better for picking up tunes in sessions.

Operator: Hello, this is the I’m addicted to Folk music help line, how can I help you?

Me: I just can’t stand it anymore!! It’s taking over my life!! It’s gotten so bad that I can’t go to sleep at night because of the Blarney Pilgrim that’s in my head! OH MY GOD THEY’RE TAKING OVER MY BRAIN!!!! THEY’LL KILL US ALL!!!!

Operator:(in a soothing voice) Now I know that this can be a difficult time in your life, but I want to let you know that you are not the only one. There are millions of ITM addicts all over the world. Just hang in there, and pretty soon the problem will get worse as you take up a new instrument or find a new band. Thankyou for calling.

Yes, I’m completely out of control. I know zilions of tunes but not their names, so I decided to try and write them down and add titles as and when i recalled them.

Result? a vast collection of hundreds of tunes, all nicely indexed and cross referenced. Good for when i want to share them or seek inspiration at time when my mind goes blank (e.g. when somebody asks me to sugegst a tune0) I’m a complete nerd, spend hours tinkering with them, looking them up on Internet, etc. I knew I was out of control when I caught myself in the middle of a concert trying to write down the name of a tune in the dark.

Collect as many as you like, and organize them. But then… Pick the ones you want to learn carefully, and don’t start learning another until you have mastered the one you are working on. Better to know a modest number of tunes well than a huge number of tunes in a half-*ssed manner.

Hey, justwhistle, nice to know I’m not the only one. Aught to see my draws crammed full of the stuff, and Irish Traditional Music has died around these parts. Nobody plays the seriously beautiful stuff. Can’t even find it to the north anymore. Went to a conference in Darwin last weekend - planned it well to be there for the Friday night session at Kitty O’Shea’s, but it isn’t any more. Pub has changed hands and the Friday night session that preputedly used to be, is now gone!!! Did the rounds of the other Irish pubs, tibbling with my son (who also happened to be in Darwin at the same time) on the way, but without even a sniff of anything like a session!! And me bursting just to listen to one. You guys and gals make me so envious. So many beautiful tunes. Doesn’t get any easier with time, the addiction remains stronger than ever. Go for it justwhistle - but play a tune or two for a fellow out of control enthusiast who is isolated in central Australia.

Oh Ba-rother. So glad to know I’m not alone in this. I’ve notebook upon notebook …..so many different genre and none stay organized. Then there’s loose stacks and I’m always looking for more. Can’t remember diddily when it comes to titles.
Im wondering if I actually sing the title to the melody I’ll be able to recall it. Any suggestions?

So many good ideas and suggestions. Thanks everyone. It’s so nice to know I’m not alone & that things will only get WORSE … [sigh]. I really am enjoying the tunes I’ve learned though. Just have to keep the “to be learned” stack under control. Will concentrate on just a few at a time & then move on to others. (Someone mentioned the Blarney Pilgrim; that’s actually in my stack on tunes to learn – I’m hopeless). God bless and thanks again.

There’s the printed sheet - O’Neills’ ( both ), Brannach, Bulmer and Sharpley, Boys of the Lough, Mel Bay, etc…..
Then there’s this data base, anything that you’ve heard ( last night, last week, or in far-off days ), friends’ transcribings, etc.
Then there’s the cds’, tapes, albums, etc….
Then you go to a new session, and how many of the tunes they play do you actually know ?
There is no easy way round this problem.
I won’t mention the guys who don’t know the name of a tune so you can look it up, they only know the area it’s from…………

PS.
My own personal tune-book is a wish-list - anything I’ve heard that inspires me, that I want to be able to play.
Yes, it’s fat.
How much can I play ? About a quarter on a good day. But I keep trying.

looks like you are a tuneoholic.

Posted by .

Yes, me too. I wrote a program that looks for links on web pages. I type in the URL, and it scans the pages and downloads all MIDI files, ABC files, MP3s, wave files, etc.

I search for all sites containing anything Irish and give the URLs to this program. I am utterly swamped with thousands upon thousands of tunes.

Posted by .

Doesn’t it feel bad when you look back and think of all the tunes you’ve learnt and you’re happy with yourself, and then you take yourself off to the next session and you hear another stack of tunes that must be learnt immediately (in my virgo-ean way, it had to be learnt yesterday!) The banjo player at the session I go to in Noosa is great for that. He’s a tune god, and there are soooo many to learn. I understand, I think I might be inundated with little white sheets of dots shortly.

Posted by .

i feel your pain man, I have thousands of printed tunes all around me

Justwhistle,
Remember, admitting your problem is the first step towards recovery.
😉

Justwhistle,
ignore all this liberal claptrap. Admitting your problem is not enough!
Burn all the bits of paper!
Better still - burn down your house with the papers in it.
Even better still, given that there is no known cure and you will only start to accumulate tunes again - do not leave the house after setting it on fire!

It may sound cruel, but it is kinder in the long run.

Hah I know the Blarney Pilgrim, I win!

You know you’ve got it really bad when you start typing run-on sentences strung together with ‘&’ symbols! (Yikes Emily!)

In all seriousness, I keep a list of tunes I want to learn that rivals the list of tunes I already know. And I commonly end up learning tunes that aren’t even on that list! But it seems pointless to let it cause any stress. You’ll never know them *all* anyway. 🙂

Pete

Anyone have a match?