Wedding Marches

Wedding Marches

Any suggestions for Celtic wedding marches…I have a few dozen tunes…but wondered what is "popular" for this year’s blushing brides….

Re: Wedding Marches

The March of the Kings of Laois fits a liturgical setting

Also during the wedding vows you could play Give me Your Hand softly
Johnjo

breton wedding march is fun. starts with a phrase everyone recognizes, then goes elsewhere. i just played for one of my son’s wedding and used it for the bride’s entrance. don

Posted by .

There are quite a few nice Swedish wedding marches. That makes them almost half Shetland which almost half scots which is celtic.
If you really want to go celtic:
For the traditional couple, cook in the kitchen
For the doomed couple, devil in the kitchen
For the perfect couple, Maries wedding
For the non traditional, the choice wife?

For wedding dances we often play a tune we like a lot - but which unfortunately is entitled "Never love thee more". If anyone asks, we tell them its "Love thee ever more".

Loads of Carolan stuff or harp tunes - I’ve used (coming in or out):

Give Me Your Hand (corny I know)
Carolan’s Concerto
Planxty Irwin

There’s the Donegal Wedding Jig also (or March? Can’t remember).

How is the Kings of Laois liturgical though???

The Donegal Wedding jig is obvious. but it is the best. Play it at half speed though, or the bride will have to sprint to the altar

Posted by .

Haste to the Wedding and Getting Up Stairs

On Carol Thompson’s album, The Blossom and the Rain, there is a tune called Celtic Wedding March. I played it for my sister’s wedding a few years ago, and it worked very well. I also played South Wind from that album for the entrance of the mothers of the bride and groom.

When I have played for weddings (two Shetlands and a Polish), it has involved everyone parading through the village following the bride, with the band leading the procession.
Quite an honour, but you need 20 minutes of marchy tunes to get them there and similar coming back.