Tune sets

Tune sets

This has probably been up a dozen times, but with all the hours of playing with the posters here, there must be some personal favorite tune sets. Skipping the obvious Coleman/ Bothy standards. I’ll start with the jig set Rakes of Kildare/Connaughtman’s Rambles/ Diplodicus and the reel set Mayor Harrison’s Fedora/ Maids of Mt Cisco/ Earls Chair. Fire away!

Re: Tune sets

I almost always try to mix things up and never have an actual "set" of tunes now but one of my favorites is Pigeon on the Gate followed by Lafferty’s.. Not mine but Kevin Burkes.. ::bows, praise::

Cheers,
Armand

Farewell to Connaught into College Groves

Right now, The Tempest/Exile of Erin/Guns of the Magnificent Seven.

Weird…I just played Exile of Erin into the Guns tonight. Hmmm…have to go learn the Tempest.

Posted .

Big set - "Kiss The Maid Behind The Barrel / Mayor Harrison’s Fedora / Spike Island Lasses".

Posted by .

Jigs
Tone Rowe’s/The Rambling Pitchfork/The Black Rogue
Reels
Brenda Stubbert’s/Sheila Coyle’s

The Abbey Reel/Old Torn Petticoat/Floating Crowbar

The sets vary at our session, but when I practice at home I tend to go:

Father Kelly’s Reel/Star of Munster
Dennis Murphy’s/John Egans (polkas)
The Hunter’s Purse/The Banshee
Merrily Kiss the Quaker’s Wife/Haste to the Wedding
Delahunty’s Hornpipe/Harvest Home
Cup of Tea/Earl’s Chair

The Rose in the Heathers/ The Mug of Brown Ale/ The Banks of Lough Gowna
The Carraroe/ The Battering Ram
The Rakes of Kildare/ Up Sligo/ The Donnybrook Fair
The Peeler’s Jacket/ The Abbey Reel/ The Longford Tinker
Tommy Peoples’ (in G)/ Brenda Stubbert’s/ Otter’s Holt
The Maid behind the Bar/ The Roscommon Reel/ Ms. McLeod’s
The Trip to Birmingham/ The Sligo Maid/ The Pigtown
My Mind Will Never Be Easy (in G!)/ Na Ceannabhain Bhana/ A Fig for a Kiss

I play these sets wherever I go. I’m sure you know more of the tunes!

Right now my favorites are:

Jigs - Pull the Knife and Stick it Again/I Buried my Wife and Danced on her Grave/Will you Come with Me
Reels - Swinging on the Gate/Drunken Landlady/Navvy on the Line
Hornpipes - The Tailors’s Twist/The Faries/Cycling Home

Oops, I mean, "you know *most* of the tunes."

I actually made up more sets myself, but don’t play them in sessions. I know nobody knows my favourite Scots and Fermanagh tunes, like The Flowers of Edinburgh into The Nine Pint Coggie, and Bonnie Anne into Johnny Going to the Ceili.

I like Banish Misfortune into Garrett Barry’s jig myself—similar enough to fit, different enough to be interesting.
Someone just visited our session and paired Fermoy Lasses with Rolling in the Rye Grass, which worked nice (and the titles kind of imply a theme there).
And my wife’s favorite set is Farewell to Connaught, followed by the Em Toss the Feathers and then into the Dmodal Toss the Feathers, which makes for an interesting set.
And I recognize the Cup o Tea/Earl’s Chair set listed up above, those two always get paired at our sessions.

Reels:
The Galway—Musical Priest—Reconciliation
The High Road—Gladstone—Up Against the Buachalawns
Flowing Bowl—Maire Breathnach’s No. 1—Timor the Tarter

Jigs:
Tobins—White Petticoat—Old Joe’s
Willy’s Single —Orphan—Frost is All Over

Now, if only I were a better player…

Humours of Tulla - Ships are Sailing

Posted by .

Fred Finn’s Torrid Romance with Maud Miller! 😉

(sorry JM, couldnt resist!)

Yeah, Farewell to Connaught does go with with both versions of Toss the Feathers, as long as the Em version doesn’t go last. We play those together somewhat regularly.

Reel: Old Gray Cat / Hava Naguila / Dancing Bear (okay okay it’s the Appalachian Bar Mitzvah set so sue me! But it *does* get the dancers high-stepping on the middle tune!)

Calaghan’s into The Kaiser

Cold Frosty Morning/Whisky Before Breakfast.
My band has a stonking set for dancing ( well, I love it ) which goes; Merry Blacksmith/Staten Island/Jimmie Allen/Lather the Wattle/Merry Blacksmith - not pretentious but it does get the feet moving .
Never heard of an Appalachian Bar-Mitzvah before.
It is hard to get sets you’ve heard on record out of your head sometimes, but I usually find I only like one tune out of someone else’s set to try and learn, then have to put it with something else.

No, surely Jimmy Allan goes into Winster Galop, like Harvest Home goes into Soldiers Joy.
Ask any dag.

The Pride Of Leinster/The Lilting Banshee
Cooley’s/The Maid Behind The Bar/The Sligo Maid
Ships Are Sailing/The Sally Gardens/Drowsy Maggie