Tune Names again!

Tune Names again!

Hi Gang,
So alot of you thought I should just submit my tune recordings and see if anyone would like to help name the tunes for fun…So here they are, both in a big zip file and individually.
http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~schenk/IrishTunes/
My email address in on that page if any of you want to name tunes for fun! (It would really help me)
Or I guess you could just post any names as replies to this post.
Thanks!
gr_geek

Re: Tune Names again!

What a Coincidence! I just happen to have a database of 6 Mb worth of Tune names. As far as I know they are all unused. Would you like to download it and look at them all?
Probably not. Okay! Here is a sample:

The Wiggly Jig
The Giggly Jig
The Warty Gherkin
The Cripple in the Pasture
The Fifty-two-metre Reel
The Self-winding Reel
The Empty Pockets
I Cannot be Arsed
The Girl with the Squint
The Capel Street Curry House
Bend it This Way
This round is on Andrew
The Hole in my Sock
Everything is Rosy
I don’t Fancy Yours
The Morning Ablutions
The Jet-Setter
Can You Hear Me at the Back
Three Times Coming Back
Effervescence
The Hillsborough Hornpipe
The Banana Slip-jig
The Waxed-paper Slide
Qualify This
What is the Name of This Tune
The Woodstock Tartan
The Edwardian Boys
The Brontosaurus
The Chinese Skipping Rope
The Eight-Legged Horse
Ask My Wife
Tread on the Lego
Mischief in the Morning
The Newel Post
Carrots and Onions
The Left-Handed Potato
The Mixolydian Blender
The Shell Suit
Careful with that Fiddlestick
My Mind has Gone Blank
The Mended Underpants
Why does my Hand Hurt
Who is the Stranger
Malibu and Coke
The Bowl of Cashews
The Verbal Contract
The Co-incidence
The Floor-polisher
Why is it Yellow
The Dexion Shelf
Morroccan Coffee
Eat it Yourself
The Christmas Catalogue
He Didn’t come Home
Give her a Leg Up
How is your Elbow
The Reels of Mischance
How Many is That
The Half-Assed Hornpipe
I Already Called it That
Whose is the We’an

LOL, Bystander! . I bask in the glow of your greatness.

How about "Pokin’ the Cat"?

Hey david a,

"Pokin’ the Cat" actually has a story: I was teaching one student while another waited in the living room for his lesson. Out of the sorner of my eye I saw the waiting kid jab at my cat with his bow whereuopn I yelled "Quit poking the cat!" and the kid that I was teaching said "That’s not what I’m playing.." We agreed it would be a good name for a tune. I also thought of a good Okie name for a tune: All Y’all Brawl.

oops—I meant whereupon….

hmm…thought I might get some serious takers…

Okay how about "A Mist of Morning Rain"………?

Well, randomly, #32 is Cottage in the Glen (aka Coen’s) https://thesession.org/tunes/558
but it’s more like the drum track from Jumanji, and if that’s a sample of what I’d have to listen to just to i.d. tunes, forget it.

Posted .

Okay, every track is clobbered by the mic either being too close to the goat, or the goat being too enthusiastically thumped. #39 is the Salamanca (https://thesession.org/tunes/99), so in two hits I’ve established that the tunes are the usual suspects, and the sound quality is not fun to listen to.

Posted .

9: The Tenpenny Bit (Ador one)
15: Ashokan Farewell
22: ?/ The Kiltimagh Jig???/ The Maid in the Meadow (aka. The Green Fields of America)
23: The Trip to Athlone (aka. The Newport Lass)
24: The Maid in the Meadow (aka. The Green Fields of America)
26: Sporting Pitckfork
27: The Rambling Pitchfork (as said)
28: Speed the Plough (not to be confused with The Merry Blacksmith)
31: Jenny Picking Cockles?
34: The Rose in the Heather
35: The Green Gates
37: Jenny’s Wedding
40: Tommy Peoples’ (Bm one)
41: Gilbert Clancy’s (aka. Sean Reid’s)
44: The Gravel Walks
45: The Apples in Winter
47: Down the Broom
48: The Golden Keyboard
51: The Man of the House
53: Miss Monaghan
54: The Woman of the House
55: McFadden’s Handsome Daughter
58: Ormond Sound
63: The Duke of Leinster
67: The Roscommon Reel (aka. Crowley’s #2)
69: Con Cassidy’s?
70: Pilleadh Wellington’s
71: Tripping Up the Stairs

Well, I can play most of them, but not all of them pretty well. All the clips sound really fun. Thanks.

Larsheen, why do you apologize? I’m sure some people from this site could play all the tunes on the spot without caring about what they are called.

By the way, who’s the concertina player on #22? It sounds like a CD recording. All the tunes are played down a note, so I guess he or she is from Clare.

Great Job Slainte!

So far;

30 - Callaghan’s[ I think]
32 - Cottage In The Grove
36 - Hand me Down The Tackle / Tom Steele’s
38 - Dark Haired Girl
39 - Salamanca
42 - Return To Miltown

Posted by .

Must apologize: I couldn’t get the tunes to play and thought they were original compositions, that you just wanted title suggestions. Sorry—I wasn’t trying to be facetious.

Hi Gang,
Thanks for all the help…I have updated the website with the new names (all have been checked for accuracy and the namers have been cited). There are about 25 or so lef t to name, any takers?
http://www.keck.ucsf.edu/~schenk/IrishTunes/ust.html

ps Kenny, a couple of yours I could not verify, 30 and 36. Also, slainte the concertina player on 22 is Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin

#33 really is Frieze Britches, aka Cunla. Which is not the tune you’ll pull up this siteunder F.B. (except under the comments, where Gian Marco offers a transcription under the Cunla title).

Posted .

43 is Brenda Stubbert’s (a Jerry Holland tune).

Posted .

And 52 is Sliabh Russell

Posted .

Thanks will,
Two of those were already named (Brenda Stubberts and Sliabh Russell) but thanks for the Frieze Britches!
The site has been updated.

75 is Green Hills of Tyrol, the reel version.

Posted .

gr - I’ll have a listen again tonight if I have time. Out of curiousity, how do "verify" the tune titles you’re being given?

Posted by .

Hey Kenny,
I am verifying by looking up the sheet music on the session!
All but one or two have been verified this way

ok, gr - here’s a few more.

36 - Flax In Bloom
56 - Iniscealtra
57 - Town Teine - 56,57 & 58 are all composed by Paddy O’Brien
59 - Dwyer’s - as in Finbar Dwyer, I believe
62 - John Kelly’s - [ sometimes the Kerry reel ]
68 - Master Crowley’s

Posted by .

50 - La Cosa Mulligan, - by Tommy Peoples

Posted by .

75, which I know as Green Hills of Tyrol, is also called Tripping Down the Stairs, and the Greenfields of Antrim. You’ll find it here: https://thesession.org/tunes/760

Posted .

Hey Kenny,
Could not verify Dwyers…any help?

It’s in as "The Holly Bush", composed by Finbar Dwyer. I knew it as "Dwyer’s" long before "The Holly Bush".

Posted by .

72 - Concert
73 - Callaghan’s
Frankie Gavin recorded them both , 1 after the other, as the "Concert" reels.

Posted by .

73 - is listed here under the curious title of "Now She’s Purring". There was quite a bit of debate about that particular title as I recall.

Posted by .

76 - Saxaford

Posted by .

Kenny, you rule,
Thanks again! Site has been updated…

14 - "Sourgrass And Granite" (Canadian waltz by Brian Pickell - c’mon gr_geek you could have got this - the name is spoken quite clearly at the end)
22 - 1st tune "The Angry Peeler" (just posted it). 2nd tune I’d say is "I Will If I Can", but I suppose it’s basically the same tune - both just horrible Irish versions of Kenmure’s 🙂

Slainte already got 24 for you.

It’s not Green Fields of America - that’s the reel. Maid In The Meadow is a jig which resembles the reel.

Someone already got 25 for you.

29 Larsheen already got for you - you just need to do some updating.

62 - John Kelly’s I know as "The Old Concertina Reel".

65 - "The Blockers" by Sean Ryan, played in the proper key (that’ll keep Jack happy)…
Okay I’m bored now 🙂

66 - Master Crowley’s

74 - Ronnie Cooper (by Josephine Keegan)
Hey that’s another one Jack plays isn’t it? Is that your public performance Jack?

Come to think of it that backing sounds like Richard Mandel too - same sort of full-sounding chords and syncopated bits. I reckon if it’s not Tipsy House then Jack should sue them. Well, c’mon, own up.

UCSF in the URL an’ all. Hehehe, Plough and Stars is looking increasingly likely. Can you keep ‘em there while I burn ‘em all onto a CD so I can copy it and either a) sell it as "raw" session music, or b) keep it to embarrass Jack with…

Dow you’re talking to yourself again. Go and look at what I put in the tune submission comments.
BTW I quite like the backing done by the guitarist in Tipsy house from what I have heard of them.

Yeah the backing’s superb. Pity about their concertina player though eh. But, well, I suppose whoever it is will only improve by hanging round with skilled musicians 🙂

At least he’s not playing the piano

Do you think I could risk totally pulling apart the concertina playing? I’m kinda holding back here a bit just in case it’s not actually Jack and it is actually someone who can play 🙂

I saved the Zip file of the tunes at home and I will have to have a listen tonight. I suggest that for now you hold your tongue for fear that you are actually bagging someone well known and revered by many (besides Jack that is of course).
But if it was him wouldn’t he have come wading into the discussion and listed off all the names of the tunes?

No I think he would have frozen in horror and *not* entered the discussion. I think he’s there now, lurking and wondering whether he should say something or just keep quiet and hope that it all blows over and everyone forgets about it.

Come on in Jack we know you’re out there somewhere

Yeah, look, he would have butted in by now and said it wasn’t him if it wasn’t so I reckon it was and if he says it wasn’t then he’s lying.

Oh, you two. *smirk* I have to say that it does sound like the Plough. BTW, Richard, I’m given to understand, lurks here, but doesn’t post. 🙂

Really? Hi Richard. Love your backing. You do a great job of keeping Jack in rhythm.
LOL! 😀

If I could hear the fiddle players better, I’d be able to tell for sure! It sounds like Kevin, but I can’t be sure.

66 is Master Crowley’s

I just said that.

So is it you? Come on! I can’t stand the suspense…

The concertina sounds lovely.
So is it you?

65 is a Sean Ryan tune called "The Blockers"

It is isn’t it? It’s you, and you’re deliberately not saying whether it is or isn’t so I can’t accuse you of lying.

I thought Alaster Crowley was 666!
Hope we didn’t wake you up Jack - lovely concertina playing.

It’s alright I suppose 🙂

It might be last Sunday’s session now that I look at the list starting from the Golden Keyboard to the end. I was talking at the bar during the concert reel so if there’s no flute or concertina on that one that would be evidence. I do remember playing Trip to Nenagh/Blockers/Master Crowley’s/Roscommon Reel as a set. There was a harp there as well. It sounds too good to be us though.

I’m listening to Master Crowley and it is my version all right. Wow! 😲 IT IS US!!!!

That’s what I thought to begin with - that it sounded too good to be you, and then I started to find fault with it after listening to it for a while 😛

Kenny has 76 as "Saxaford," but it’s actually a tune written by Martin Mulhaire on his first trip to the US upon his arrival. He calls it, "The Land of Sunshine."

"But if it was him wouldn’t he have come wading into the discussion and listed off all the names of the tunes?"

I was at the Plough playing for a set dance, with the other two suspects, while you guys were busy with all this. By the time I got home you guys had named most of them. The only one that I named that hadn’t been identified already is the Martin Mulhaire tune.

I remember someone asking if he could record us at the beginning of the night right before we played our first tune, the Golden Keyboard, but I didn’t recognize him. Looking at the list that follows that tune are all ones we played during the night.

There’s another poster here that goes by the name "Faust" and later changed to "v" who is playing fiddle on 62, 70, 71, and 77. I haven’t listened to all the files, but I remember that he started those tunes and played them strongly.

BTW… thanks for the kind words, Donough.

Hey guys!

I hope that I did not p*ss anyone off by posting these tunes! I Really just want the names since I have trouble accessing tunes without them…These tunes were recorded at two sessions in Portland and one session, yes you guessed it, at the Plough and Stars in SF, and at various other places.
Please forgive if I have offended!

Also, any players that are unhappy with having these tunes on the web should let me know if I should take the site down. (all tunes have been named)

Lads, would yez lay off the tunes for a while so I can download them? I want to get them all before gr_geek takes the site down!

Posted by .

Alright - got em all!

Posted by .

gr_geek — I can’t speak for the others, but personally I don’t mind — it’s a website about sessions. I’ve always advocated learning tunes by ear so I’ve never objected to the taping of our sessions. If anyone finds your recordings useful — that’s great — leave them up. Dow has already got his use out of them for their slagging potential, but others might have a different reason for wanting access to them. I’m not offended or p*ssed off at all.

Thanks Coleman’s…glad I did not commit some major faux pax..
I am still amazed at the tune naming skills of all who helped! Thanks again (and to the players who played all the tunes!)