What’s your day job?

What’s your day job?

Since folks seem to be in the mood to ask things like your age, what instruments you play, etc, etc, here’s another question. Since you are here, we know you are a musician, but what do you do to support yourself—what do you do for a living?

Re: What’s your day job?

Mortgage loan processor, jack of all office trades and in charge of comic relief (so they tell me)

Mary

Engineering – embedded systems. I write software (firmware) that makes electronic thingies work – currently medical devices. It’s my fourth career so far and I’m ready for another change. Too many geeks and Libertarians.

just took a position as Manufacturing Engineer. I act as liason between manufacturing plants in Mexico and China as well as a bit of electrical and a bit a of mechanical engineering. Fair amount of travel

School and I used to have an after school/ summer custodial job but I got laid off recently.

Posted by .

High School, Jr High, grade school orchestra director

I’m a court reporter. I also do captioning for deaf people, primarily a deaf prosecutor.

My job is great (e.g., lucrative, flexible timewise, and actually very interesting most of the time) but really, really weird. A lot of people think they’ve heard everything, but I truly have — AND I’ve written it all down. Playing music is a terrific antidote.

Paralegal. Cathrynb, I’m sure you’ve heard more than I have. But I know what you mean about music being a terrific antidote. It’s a cure for stress for me … that is until I start accumulating so much music to learn that it stresses me out again ;)

Marine engineer, working in an oil refinery.

I work as a hit man for the CIA. Right now we’re getting ready to carry out Pat Robertson’s request to assassinate the democratically elected president of Venezuela because he has the audacity to sell gas to the Venezuelan people for 12 cents a gallon.

Be on the lookout for Cpp’s greatest hits cd.

Posted by .

I’m an operator on an international TV station….no, really I am….

Don’t have one. I’ve been retired for 7 years, and was a patent attorney before then for the greater part of my working life.

Trevor

NHS Information Manager

Math professor. And, like Bob himself, ready for a change, but for me it’s to many greeks and librarians.

Technical writer - that’s why I NEED to play music!

Er, Al, since you started off this thread - what’s your day job?

Trevor

Part of the time, bookkeeper. I spend those days inputting expenses and bills, printing and mailing checks, and reconciling people’s bank and credit card statements against their accounts. Boring, but it pays decently.

The other part of the time, free lance writer, currently working on a craft book cowrite. Much less boring, but doesn’t pay a whole lot yet. Really, really, REALLY ready for it to pay at least enough that I can tell people (nicely, of course) to balance their own bank statements. 😉

I’m a writer at an advertising agency. We’ve got a statue to Mammon in the front lobby, and it’s company policy to put your lips to its alabaster posterior every morning on your way in. I find that a bit demeaning and suspect it’s unsanitary.

Middle school band and orchestra director; piano tuner; paid church gig. With four kids and two in college, I need three jobs.

I am the President of Venezuela. I always knew CPP was out to get me….

Posted .

I’m a journalist, now working as a writer/editor for an Eastern Mass. college. Fortunately, the college has a pretty strong academic program in traditional music, including Irish, so quite a few kindred spirits around on campus.

Posted by .

recently retired teamster, have always played music but now i can spend some time learning all those tunes i never had time to learn. also teaching and giging. oh yeah, just got a mcgee flute, i love it, am driving everyone nuts because i can’t set it down. don

Posted by .

I teach AP history and AP economics in the local high school. School starts in 36 hours. I am blowing off my responsibilities by being here and not being prepared.

So there’s a trend here. I’m a writer too, free lance for the last 15 years, and I’m a part-time "senior associate" for a public policy research branch of the University of Montana.

Posted .

Math and science tutor with emphasis on helping students who have learning differences. Work primarily with students from late elementary through high school. Also, I homeschool my daughter.

I’m a so-called "bush limousine" tour bus driver. While everyone else is stuck away in a city office staring at a computer screen, I get to wear whatever I please and zoom around national parks in a huge 4WD that looks like a cross between a Land Rover and a Monster Truck* looking at spectacular scenery and wildlife, like kangaroos, koalas and wedge-tailed eagles. I love driving (especially off-road stuff), bushwalking and wildlife, so I literally get paid to have a day out doing my hobby 🙂

* See http://www.oka.com.au - I drive one like the pic 4th from the left. Check out the going-through-water and over-sand-dunes pics.

CAD manager, glorified draftsman if the truth be told, at a finished steel products firm. I am also the CAD trainer & general computer answer geek. I am really not much of a techie but it does keep me in a learning mode.

Manage a small - tiny - oilfield engineering office and travel about looking for and taking care of business. And looking for sessions.

Posted by .

Physics teacher and science department head.

Software QA/QC & project management (small office); co-owner and bookkeeper for a neighborhood coffee shop; grants administration and other administrative duties for an Indian tribe.

I don’t have a day job, i have a night job. and I’ll tell ya, it plays h^ll with my social life.

Mechanical engineer for a company that makes those things that go BOOM!!; keep the pointy end away from you and the finny like objects straight I always say- I work on the comm gear that makes ‘em fly more or less where they’re supoose to; well, more or less…

Posted by .

I *used* to be a busboy for Haruki [the best kickass Japanese restaurant you will ever EVER go to. Period. And another.] Now I’m waiting to be 18 so I can FINALLY work at Border’s/Barnes&Noble… All because of a stupid erotica section. Seriously. =P

Cheers,
Armand

graphic designer at an advertising studio. Print mainly - leaflets, posters, package design… for big companies. Try to combine this job with my hobby - the music - so I sometimes do art work for Irish music projects. Working on the cd, poster for an annual Irish music tour in Germany called Pure Irish Drops at the moment. But well, that’s not my day job but my night’s free time work… Also have a few fiddle students.

Sabine

Isn’t "stupid erotica" an oxymoron? We used to call it "educational material" in a more innocent time 🙂.

I am a purveyor of educational material, or I was until Barnes & Noble opened across the street. 😉

But seriously folks. I work help desk at an ISP. I advise the "front line" tekkies when they go astray.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ with it.

Environmental regulator (hazardous waste regulation). I work in the pollution prevention program.

I’m also in Sacramento,Char B. Wonder if we know each other? Guitar player in my bg band plays a contra dance in Grass Valley every month…

Posted by .

Freelance translator for English>German.
I do mostly IT-related material: software, hardware, manuals, IT management, marketing, surveys etc.

Since I work from home, there’s always the temptation to neglect work and play, check posts at TheSession, check the fridge, play with the cat…

Posted by .

you know those wretched computer manuals that you can’t understand — if you even bother to read them before tossing them out? guess who writes some of them?

sarah in portland

Bodyguard to the president of Venezuela.

Posted by .

can you put that in plain English please sarah?

Posted by .

Like kbar - I’m an Environmental Regulator, in Christchurch NZ. I’m check compliance with environmental law in a wide array of industrial outfits. Stormwater, stack emissions, abattoir waste discharged to land and water, petroleum industry. Consequently I barely know what’s going to come up from one week to the next. Great job.

I wheel broken computers around on a nice trolley and make interesting heaps of them, and I listen sympathetically while people tell me about their "blue screens of death" and then wipe their hard drives for them, and I play my harmonica in the air-conditioned comms room where no-one else goes (I’m also something of an artist of the painting variety but spend too much time fiddling)

Make maps, buy maps, sell maps - take pretty pictures.

Posted .

Actuary

( that is NOT a cue for all the old actuary / accountant jokes to be wheeled out ! )

My day job is a UNIDO consultant (UNIDO is a UN agency dealing with sustainable economic development and technology transfer). My tasks and responsibilities tend to bloat every day, but my main specialty is helping the Brits to invest in Poland, or find a partner here, in an organized and orderly manner, so that everyone is happy).

It’s a bit like being a CIA hitman on the lookout for Venezuelian President, in a way.

An interesting job, but sometimes I’d rather drive the 4D land cruiser around Australian bush.

I also have a night job, which is freelance translator and interpreter (English<>Polish<>Russian, also French>Polish)

I used to be in the KGB.

That’s what some of the people up in Aberdeen used to call the Kirkgate Bar. (In front of the bar, that is - not serving!!!).

Posted by .

Perfectly happy with my day job, I’m retired like Trevor. Don’t know how I found time to go to work I’m so busy now.

By day, im a mild mannered sub-editor on a major metropolitan newspaper in dublin. By night, i’m a banjo-wielding maniac intent on taking over the world of music.

Used to be a computer teacher but now I’m a technical writer. I rewrite (in plain English) those "wretched computer manuals that you can’t understand". Maybe some of them were written by eleyne ;o) (just kidding)

Manager of an Italian company based in Dublin.

The job is good…

Retired now, but was an Accountant when it didn’t interfere with playing and singing. Spent a lot of time roofing in various places, the Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna for one. Learnt to thatch in West Cork and Donegal. Now I spend a lot of time with old roses, old wines and old songs.

I’m a semi-retired purveyor (I love that word even if it is a bit stuffy to use to describe my activities) of fine Antiques and decorations. I am also an auctioneer and appraiser of these lovely items of the past.

Peace,
Ed

Project manager for Social Security.

Wormdiet - My dad was an AP economics and government teaching in KC - he’s retired now, but still works with the AP program over the summer.

Eric

Professional typesetter by day—freelance typesetter by night. Incredible lover 24/7.

Systems Analyst - that’s just the title they gave me to justify my enormous salary. I am in fact merely a programmer.

I’m considering packing it all in - I’m fed up with computers.

Posted by .

Big cheese, head honcho, and main man in a digital print and display company.

Still haven’t decided what to do when I leave school yet - despite having left school 30 years ago.

Semi-retired. ( Who can afford to be fully retired ? ).
Ex- university biological sciences tech..
Now home furniture constructor, film extra, barn dance muso ( always was the last ).

I’m a black pudding polisher for Clonakilty black pudding factory 🙂

Executive Support Officer for the State Government

Damn - I thought you were the king of Egypt, or something like that

Senior IT Trainer and professional sexual acrobat.

I work at a large regional health care facility connected with a medical college in the Ophthalmology dept. Am in the capacity of Desktop Pubs and “Geek Girl”. I prepare clinical faculty presentations, video editing, scanning of retinas, design brochures for programs. For the Research Faculty, I prepare grant proposals, scientific posters do various and sundry geeky type stuff. I show up on the floors every few hours, talk geeky using acronyms like ram, USB, virtual this and that. By that time, the faculty & staff’s eyes are rolling in the back of their heads. I go back to my office and proceed to have email sex. I love my job!

Admin work in university.

Conan, I didn’t know you were an IT trainer too

Well, the things people keep dark !

Posted by .

In case anyone wants to know - my blood group is 0+
🙂

Posted by .

Flash developer. Started studying anthropology, but ended up an engineer. After temp work in HUGE companies as a programmer, I was taken into a 6 man company in Oslo. Best place I have worked since the bicycle repair shop!

Snorre

Freelance IT trainer / mentor / cook / bottlewasher. Cumpulsive flute purchaser

Posted by .

Boy, this thread really took off—I thought more people would respond like Bribanjo and accuse me of being a nosey git, and while we don’t use the term git around here, I am pretty sure it is not a term of endearment. 😉
It is fun to see what everyone does, quite a bit of variety.
And since Trevor pointed out that what is good for the goose is good for the gander—I am a regional emergency manager, coordinating planning and preparedness for all types of hazards, from hurricanes to terrorist attacks. So, like many have pointed out, music is a pleasant break from a day job that can be somewhat depressing at times.

Presently trying to re-invent myself after moving away from the Baile Mòr. In previous incarnations, have been a microbiologist, as well as a QA Manager for a UKAS tesing laboratory.

Posted by .

Sorry, meant to say incarcerations… 😉

Posted by .

I teach IT at a college in Henley on Thames.

I hope to be moving to the south of France next year however when I have bought a Gites complex to live off.

Gridlocked UK? South West France? Tough choice.

I’ve got to do a little job in Venezuala first though to finance things.

I work as a programmer/DBA, more or less, for a mysterious Think Tank hiding behind the innocuous-looking front of a text book publisher. I write programs to do the tedious stuff you flimsy humans don’t have the attention span to accomplish on your own.

We also build machines to warp the minds of elementary school children…we’ve been testing them on the subjects in the school next door. We’re almost ready to deliver them to Pat Robertson; with just a few more tweaks, success will be ours!
BWA-HA-HA-HAAAAA!

I’m a lazy, no good layabout.

Posted by .

Traditional musician, teacher, freelance artist, and photographer.

I’m a full-time mom and homemaker. Before I took the mommy track, however, I was a writer and editor for an advertising agency, and I still do some newsletter and webpage work to keep my hand in.

I’m in math publishing. I’m grymater’s other half. I’ll be adjusting his medication this evening. 😉

Senior Analyst with the Congressional Budget Office, U.S. Congress.

Posted by .

Matthew, would you know of another post similar to yours?

I’d be interested.

I’m a chainsaw operator and sell maps of Caracas to short-term tourists visiting Venezuela.

Posted by .

Television producer

Janek… there are many wonderful opportunities in my field all across the globe. Unfortunately, being a lazy no good layabout requires lots of dedication and years of training. It’s not the sort of thing you just fall into.

I’m coming to Europe soon, and plan to hold workshops in some of the core skills, including loafing, excessive sleeping, beach strolling and competitive apathy.

Actually, perhaps I won’t hold these workshops. It seems like a lot of effort.

Posted by .

Surveyor for the landed gentry. McMansions our specialty. Thinking of quitting my day job and starting a bluegrass band….

Matt, if you ever think of taking on an apprentice…

I’m a Construction Plant Workshop Foreman, And When I’m Not Playing Or Practicing I Do Lapdancing.

Matthew, come over to Poland then! You’ll find so many people dedicated with all their hearts to your metier, that the workshops will do themselves without too much of your effort.

Such enthusiasm! Not a good sign, I have to tell you…

😉

Posted by .

Given my instability, you’re more like my other 3/4ths, mandolinann 😉

And you’d better adjust my medication far earlier than this evening, if you want to avoid any…unpleasantness.

I’m a hit man working for the President of Venezuela. My current assignment is CIA hit men.

Seriously, a company rescue technician in England.

What a question, so many replies!

Tel

Previously: House painter; Math teacher
Currently: Software Quality Control Engineer.
Future: Music teacher

Gary: Where do you teach??

"When I’m Not Playing Or Practicing I Do Lapdancing."

Erm… this is a website for Irish traditional music. The website for traditional music of Lapland is two doors down.

I give free breast exams out of my apartment.

Jack, you need to charge a fee so people won’t get suspicious.

Maintenance electrician in the central bank currency production(Mint and Print).
Unfortunately i dont take my work home with me!

"Jack, you need to charge a fee so people won’t get suspicious."

I just tell them I’m doing it as a public service. 😉

Poking snorre and telling him what *else* is wrong with Norway…

No, seriously, that’s what I do, we work together. 🙂

Former Goth/Industriial nightclub owner, and Alternative Rock radio DJ. Now working as Director of Software Development for a company specializing in internet-based entertainment kiosks.

Medication guy for Pat Robertson.

Currently on vacation.

Posted by .

I could tell you, but I’d have to kill you…first.

KFG

Posted by .

grego:

When you get back from vacaton hope you have a remedy for "foot in mouth disease" and also for selective amnesia.

-dogma

Another one of those IT types here. Network engineer.

Wow - lotsa posts since last night my time…

kbar, I play with the Coyote Contraband, first Friday of most months at the Clunie Clubhouse. I think I may have played a time or two with your guitar player — does he have one of those really cool names that sounds as though it came from a novel?

Professor- Exercise physiology, Nutrition, A&P. Eat well, get lots of exercise and enjoy music- that’s the ticket to health!

I think Ivonne Hernandez (Victoria, BC) has it right - fiddle and step dance simultaneously!!! http://www.ivonnehernandez.com/

I work nights certifying biosafety cabinets at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. By day, my piano accordion eats quebecois reels for breakfast.

Currently a gradual student (gradually learning I can’t afford to be a student) of psychology and counseling. Formerly a yacht repair specialist, pharmacy technician, deckhand, fisherman, web programmer and varmint hunter.

Ranger with National Parks (not NZ)
I get paid to hug trees then go bird watching, then after that I might go for a wee helicopter fly over the mountains for some or other reason, then maybe a little flora survey, some archaeology, pack in the check of the X country ski trails etc etc (someone has to do it). Best job in the world.
As I’ve said before on this website, if you like ITM come and visit some time…..we have a spare bedroom…..and the trout fishing is not so bad either…….

Posted by .

Redundant Computer Programmer on small pension from Her Majesty’s Post Office seeks extra support in addition to that of the nearest bar. All offers considered.

Yo trabajo por el VIA. (Venezuelan Intelligence Agency)
Nosotros hemos leido algo muy muy interesante aqui.
Si Sr. CPP quiere llamar a 1-800-VIHUELA para describir sus planes, posiblemente podemos evitar un problema muy grande.
;)

Kiwi, you bloody NP rangers are a right pain in the arse. You think you own the place and I wish you’d slow down when you see me coming the other way. If I hit you my vehicle would crush yours into an unrecognisable pulp. Anyway it’s not me feeding the cockatoos in the morning - I never, so don’t look at me like that, it was someone else out of another company.

Social researcher specialising in structural change in the Australian farm sector. Currently writing a book aimed at a non academic audience and fearing too long writing research reports has destroyed my creativity. I play music sufficiently badly to restore my faith in my writing.

What do I do to support myself?

Well I’m sorry but here’s another boring answer:

Previously, as a youth I had a paper round & a milk round for pocket money, then since I left school I have been a Bird Keeper, Falconer, Gamekeeper, Gardener, Pest Control Technician & Busker but now I’m afraid I’m just a boring old full time Traditional Musician & Trad Music Teacher in Norn Iron.

Doesn’t sound in the least bit boring Dick.

Posted by .

Falconer… yawn… Musician…. booooring…

I mean, Ptarmigan, wake up! You could have any cracking job like we have, like a bank clerk, or office assistant. How can you be so un-cool as to play music and still be tolerated on this site by funky computer programmers, accountants and shopkeepers?

Yeah, get a life Dick. 🙂

OK; I’m a part-time architect, full-time stay-at-home-dad. I do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, homework, child schlepping, etc. I meet my wife at the door when she’s home from work with her slippers and a martini; if she’s lucky I haven’t finished it off yet. Can’t learn new tunes until the dinner dishes are done!

this one’s been done before, hasn’t it?

i’ve 3 part time-ones _house husband (2 daughters), reptile and amphibian ecologist and musician

Of course, but it’s been a while and we’ve lots of new people on the site, so what the hell. 🙂

And people might change or update their jobs. Or retire.

Trevor

I can’t contribute to this thread because I have I night job.

God bless the night nurse!

- Oh & those black stockings too!!

.. slopes off for a cold shower………………………….

Physicist (PhD in physics and now doing mathematical modelling of the brain at UCSF)

Heh, heh. Well, I actually am a nurse (the bearded variety); used to work nights when I was doing critical care (ICU nursing); now I’m a family nurse practitioner. For those of you outside the US I should explain that an NP is a registered nurse who also practices medicine. I don’t think the profession exists as such anywhere else. Last St. Paddy’s day I got to play a mini-concert on my flute in the lunchroom for my coworkers. Anyone else have a chance to share your music with your fellow worker bees?

Hi mkchen, do your colleagues work with cows? Perhaps you don’t use hyphens in the middle of that word in the USA - across here it’d be co-workers.

Posted by .

I suspect there are quite a number of language differences on either side of the atlantic that might put a smile on the faces of folks on both sides of the pond. 🙂

Posted by .

And how, Ron P, exactly, does one go about "orking" a cow?

: - )

ell, hy did you ask that question? hat made you ant to ask about orking ith cos anyay?

Damn, I’ll have to get this keyboard fixed……

Posted by .

Coworkers, not cowworkers, man! Or even cow-workers, uh, what was I saying? The question was a test – and you’ve failed miserably. One can ork a cow several ways, although it makes the beef unpalatable. 🙂

Whatever turns you on Man! 🙂

Ork on Tommy!

They mean cowleagues.

You’ve milked that one enough now - how about anudder joke?

Posted by .

Let’s MOOOve on shall we!! 🙂

Do we really hoof to?

Cattle do now!
MOOOve along!
I’m sure you’ve HERD them all before, anyway!
Qiuck HIDE, hear comes Jeremy!

Must horn in just once more as this is my particular brand of humor—Musicians must have a sense of humor in order to put up with their day jobs.

Well, got my keyboard fixed, but I don’t want a pat on the back for starting this diversion from the thread………… 😉

Posted by .

P.S fidkid, I’m assuming "ork" is an American slang word, but I’ve never heard it before - what does it mean?

Posted by .

I’m the queen of Sheba and Handel wrote a tune to celebrate my arrival.

And Frankie Gavin played it for you - I’m very impressed flying tigerpig!

Posted by .