Ralph Vaughan Williams loved trad…

Ralph Vaughan Williams loved trad…

Hi everybody,

I was forced to go through my senior high school stuff the other day and I found a beautiful quote that I had written at the top of my senior annual that went along the lines of ’ 2 years of close association with some of the best tunes in the world was a better musical education than any amount of sonatas and fugues..’ Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Ok, 1200w discussing the statement and implications with trad music.

No just joking, but it freaked me out because that was the time just before I got into trad. Anyone else had any ITM premonitions?

Posted by .

Re: Ralph Vaughan Williams loved trad…

Hey b2 - I love RVW.

I bought his ‘English Folksong Suite’ for five pence (about 12 cents at the current rate) from a junk stall and just about played it to death. Found a couple of his arrangements for piano in an old library book many years ago and still play a couple from memory. Truly memorable arrangements.

The Albion Band did an excellent song about Cecil Sharp as well - called "The Appalachian Front Porch Game" as I do recall…
Eno

And I love my little book "The Penguin Book of English Folk Songs" edited by Ralph Vaughan Williams and AL Lloyd.

Too true Neil - check out the comments on ‘You Rambling Boys Of Pleasure’ to see just how well they knew their onions.

For those of you who aren’t fortunate enough to own a copy, there’s a poem published by WB Yeats (famous Irish playwright) with his name on the bottom. Trouble is, it’s this song with one of the verses missing. Their footnote is along the (charitable) lines of ‘Yeats may well have had this song in mind when he wrote his famous poem "The Salley Gardens"’.

Somewhere I have a recording of "The Bird In The Bush" by AL Lloyd, which contains a fine selection of the bawdier English traditional songs. A bit like Burns’ "Merry Muses" but intelligible to those of us of Sassenach blood. 😉

RVW is fantastic.

Another composer I admire vry much for a similar mentality is Orff. I wonder what Carmina Burana would have sounded like if Orff had been Irish instead of Kraut.

Beware of composers who sound like Orff, but aren’t.

i.e. fake Orff

I was made to study V.W.’ s folk song-influenced songs in the 60’s, for my music ‘A’ levels, and always loved the colours, style and evocative sounds. Later I worked for a while in a public music library where I "discovered" his actual folksong arrangements and loved them. Later again, dabbling in cello-playing I played his folksong suite for cello and piano, and at the other end of my musical scale/spectrum the Sonata for violin and piano, which also contains some lovely "English" folk-sounding harmonies. I think this composer actually did a lot for opening my ears to tunes I might not have known existed. He also may have influenced me into doing more fiddling too.

I’m sure I’m not the only classical player who’s been persuaded this way.

Let’s hear it for Ralph Vaughan Williams!

Neil: “And I love my little book "The Penguin Book of English Folk Songs" edited by Ralph Vaughan Williams and AL Lloyd.”

I’ve been trying for years to get a copy of that book and today I noticed that there’s finally a new edition available. It has a different title - “Classic English Folk Songs” - but apparently contains all of the original material.

Wow - alot of RVW fans out there in itrad world! cool. I thought it was such a great quote, and now I see it even more clearly now. Grainger was another guy, of the ‘pastoralist’/’folk’ style an aussie with a penchant for kinky and abstract things as well. Molly on the shore (floor) is a great arrangement

Posted by .

RVW?! he’s a legend. i love his fantasia on a theme by thomas tallis. it is gorgeous.

When I was a little kid I used to hate both Accordions and Bagpipes and now I play some GHBs and can’t afford a Box. I also used to thingk that only women play Flute and recently I have realized that Irish Flute might be the instrument for me. I always liked the Punk Bands that had Irish elements in them and now i am a total trad junkie I have Dervish (Spirt) playing as I type this and just finished listening to Danu (Up in the Air).

Posted by .

Another RVW fan, here. His cd "Toward the Unknown Region" is one of my two or three favorite classical cds. The Thomas Tallis piece is probably my favorite of his. Note to self: listen to that cd at work tomorrow!

Don’t forget "The English Book of Penguin Folk-Songs" - Antartic folklore ?
Peter Ustinov used to do a parody of RVW, including the line "The trouble with Bartok was that he didn’t understand the english folk-song "…………..