Low whistle question

Low whistle question

To my fellow low whistlers, a question…

I’ve been struggling with a wonderful Howard low D, trying to get used to it. I’ve learned the piper’s grip, which makes playing the beast possible.

When I play C sharp on my regular whistle, my right pinky provides leverage and support so I don’t drop it into my pint (which would be quite embarrassing) but this doesn’t seem to work very well on the low guy.

What advice do you have for C sharp? Is it played the same as on the high whistle or is there some special trick I should know about?

(PS-thanks to all of you on The Session for all I’ve learned about ITM in a short time.)

Re: Low whistle question

You can usually leave a finger on the lowest hole without harming the C-sharp note.

Move the pint. ;-)

I have a Howard low D. How I finger the C# on the Howard will depend on the notes before and after it. I have not had much trouble fingering the C# the usual way - ie lifting all fingers off - providing that I maintain four points of contact with the whistle - mouth, thumbs (x2) and right pinky.

I agree leaving the finger on the lowest hole works.

I also occassionally, and this depends on the note sequence, when coming from octave D leave the bottom three holes covered (all three top holes open) to sound the C#. It does not affect the C# note much. An example would be the repeated D to C# to A sequence in "The Rolling Waves (aka Humours of Trim).

Posted by .

I should have mentioned in the above example that the A note is fingered the usual way.

Posted by .

I would say if the pinkie isn’t working for you use your ring finger on thelowest hoe as stated before it will not affect pitch.

Posted by .