Musical twilight zone

Musical twilight zone

Ok, so my sis has the tv on while I’m studying, and a Toyota Camry comercial just came on and was the music for it was Drunken Sailor. Now, it’s a great tune, but it really wierded me out for a minute. It was nice and surreal. I wonder if they knew that people might recognize the tune?

Re: Musical twilight zone

LOL. My brother recognized it! It rather weirded him out for a moment, too. At first, all he heard was the powerful music, then he realized what it was. We had a good laugh over it. Who would have thought to use Drunken Sailor for a car commercial?!?!

Posted by .

Yeah, I was shocked to say the least, I thought that people would get a kick out of it here…I’m not sure how many people in mainstream society would recognize it. It would be interesting to know if they employed it on purpose or not.

Those musical slips can be fun if they are intentional. Back before DJs ruined weddings, I played in a wedding band, and we used to play "What Kind Of Fool Am I?" when the groom was introduced, just to see if anyone got it…once, a loud argument broke out at a bar-mitzvah, so we sailed into the "Theme from Rocky"…no one noticed…

I went to a wedding where the first record the DJ played was Please Release Me - the bride wasn’t overly impressed!

They should have played ‘Tragedy’ by Steps.

While for those who prefer a good old fashioned hymn at a wedding, why not have Fight the Good Fight, or Through the Night of Doubt and Sorrow.

So long as you don’t play "I buried my wife and danced on her grave"!

I know someone who wanted "Congratulations", by Cliff Richard, played at her wedding. Fine, until you know what the rest of the lyrics are.

Actually, wrong song. Give me an hour to wake up…

Yeah, they have been running that commercial during Red Sox games. And yes, people here in New England all recognize that tune—it is to the sea chantey community what the Wild Rover are to the Irish community.
And it really doesn’t fit what they are trying to sell—imagine it with a verse like this:
"Put him behind the wheel until he’s sober,
Put him behind the wheel until he’s sober,
Put him behind the wheel until he’s sober,
Early in the morning."

I often wonder if they know the implication of the music they pick for commercials. Perhaps the most amusing one I ever heard was for an SUV commercial. Dramatic music, SUV racing its way through the mountains or something.

What music did they pick? Verdi’s Requiem - the Dies Irae part. Translation of the Dies Irae text? "The day of wrath, that day which will reduce the world to ashes, as foretold by David and the Sybil." etc.

You have to wonder about that one…

Crysania, I have a suspicion that someone involved with the ad knew exactly what they were doing. How else would you stay sane in that business?

Exactly, batlady—remember that short-lived Reebok athletic shoe named "Incubus"? Somebody must have been wise to that one.

"How else would you stay sane in that business?"

You don’t.

HAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Ha.

The worst mis-use of television music I’ve heard was on American TV during the mourning of Pope John Paul II. A morning news show played background music which I believe they thought was Gregorian chant when in fact it was from Carmina Burana, the text of which is based on old letters found in a cave concerning, well, extreme misconduct between monks and nuns. I truly hope this was an innocent mistake and not intentional.

Ooh, ouch, and there are so many good Gregorian Chants out there.
As to the insider’s practical jokes, have any of you ever gone to see a silent movie with organ accompaniment? I have, and the muscial jokes were great. First were the obvious ones for the kids to pick up on, Under the Sea, Jeopardy Theme, Howdy Doody Theme, Happy Trails, etc, and then there were the vocal music lovers jokes. He quoted so many operas (note I am not a vocalist, nor a vocal music buff so most of them escape me). Still, it was a blast to go too, and the guy I was sitting with, is really good with recognizing music, so that made it even more fun. Oh yeah, the movie was the 1920’s Phantom of the Opera.

musicfan—I think you would enjoy Peter Schikele, writing as P.D.Q. Bach (sorry everyone this is classical music genre)—If you’ve not heard any of his stuff get some. sidesplittingly funny.

I’ve played some of it actually. I love PDQ Bach. Wonderful stuff.

Ah, the worse I heard….

Scott toilet tissue, I believe it was, using "The Atholl Highlanders". Sure, keep repeating it, you’ll get it.

Posted by .