Bodhran’s at the fleadh

Bodhran’s at the fleadh

I was at the fleadh in letterkenny and thought it was first class some great sessions but a few were spolt by people who don’t play the bodhran playing it as loudly as they could…off beat, i have nothing against the bodhran but in the wrong hands it can be deadly.

Re: Bodhran’s at the fleadh

here we go here we go here we go

Posted .

Careful with those apostrophes now. Thought you were talking about my dog, Bodhran. Just like most bodhran players, he’s transfixed by sticks of all sizes.

The next time one of these musically-challnenged goat-abusers is bothering you, grab one of his multitude of sticks (their ability is usually in inverse proportion to the number of sticks they have), fire it out the door of the pub (if possible in path of oncoming juggernaut) for a game of fetch.

My opinion of bodhrans at sessions is matched by that for guitars - one is plenty, though it can add a lot to a good session.
When there was another regular guitar/bodhran player at my regular session I would always play the opposite instrument to him ( till I switched to ‘zouk anyway ).

So what’s the opposite instrument to the bodhrán then?

flute

I think this deepseated resentment of bodhrans by melody players is mainly because the bodhran exposes all their rhythmic glitches. I was once told by a late great accordion player that I had had a "very ordinary" night at a gig because I slowed down for the hard bits and sped up on the easy bits.Turned out he meant the hard/easy bits for the accordian and I was playing exactly what he was playing but he didn’t like it.Work that out!

If I played the pipes at a session it would have the same effect.

Seriously though, I blame the yanks. They think bodhrans are like guns. everyone has the right to carry one, but in the wrong hands……….

At least the brittish have banned guns. And the Irish are handing their’s over unilaterally

Posted .

I had no problems at all.

Ran into an old mate (he’s not old, only my age) called Neill Lyons from Dublin. He was playing spot on as usual, even with being "on the session" all day, with Dublin playing Tyrone earlier that day. He was still wearing his Áth Cliath t-shirt even though Dublin lost… I slagged him enough until he changed it in the bogs for another one.

No complaints with his playing at all.

Hey gilly, I know the Brits drink a lot of Tea, but two Ts in British? Still recovering from the fleadh are we? 🙂

Guns are for cowards

Arms are for hugging.
Disarm the police!
Start in Orwell’s neighborhood.

Posted by .

Owell lives there.

Posted by .

bodhrans are for cowards

Arms are for playing tunes. Not hitting things

Posted .

Come on olon, that’s not nice. Of course Bodhran players are welcome in session pubs, as long as they don’t play! 🙂

Interesting stuff on your tradart site.
Kind of appropriate, don’t you think, those expressionless faces on the trad musicians!

They’ve chosen not to divulge their faces.

"Vot is your name?"
"Don’t tell ‘em, Pike!"

Well, if you were named after a fish, would you?

There’s a time and a plaice for everything

Did you just take your shoes off Conan? There’s an awful s-tench in here!

Sorry Conan, didn’t mean to be rud. Perhaps, ‘salmon chanted evening’ we could go for a session!

I don’t like to carp but you’ve already roached the subject. You can be something of a curm-gudgeon, Ptarmigan. I’m not one to perch on the fence, as you well know. I’m not one for bass-less arguments.

I’ve halibut of these awful p(h)ish jokes…….

Posted by .

I’m well and truly TRUMPED by that lot Conan.

On a serious subject.
I heard a new expression yesterday - ‘oxtercoggled’ - I believe it was. It’s an Ulster expression - yes?

So what exactly does it mean?

Did you hear the story about God getting p*ssed with Noah for building loads of levels on the ark and just filling it with fish…..it always was his dream to have multi-story carp ark.

Posted by .

Ooooooh! Clever! You are so smart, you are probably a Brain S(t)urgeon!

….who’s going to tell the story about the brown trout ?

Posted by .

Oxter: The armpit. From the Old English oxta or ohsta. The word oxter is used in certain areas of the world (Scotland, Ireland, Northern England), reminding us that there are many local and colloquial names for parts of the human anatomy. Synonymous with axilla.

coggle

v 1: walk unsteadily; "small children toddle" [syn: toddle, totter, dodder, paddle, waddle] 2: move unsteadily; "His knees wobbled"; "The old cart wobbled down the street" [syn: wobble]

?To wobble someone with your armpit?? 🙂

I suspect it means to grab someone around the neck in your armpit like a half nelson wrestling hold

Sounds like somehting to be done to the various goat bashers referred to above 😉

.. or you were so drunk that you had to be lifted up by the oxters

"Breandan was so blootered by the end of the night that they had to oxtercoggle him all the way to the back alley in Maddens to boke his ring up."

Boke - to be sick, nauseous as in baulk.

Thanks Breandan, now I know. I was, of course, familiar with the oxter part, but the coggle threw me. Thrown by a coggle - not a pretty sight!

So being the best in the World on a bodhran doesn’t mean much? Is that what you are trying to tell me?

What was the all the fuss about in the past then? If it’s so terrible, why all the requests for me to submit a sample (sic)

Easy Briban! Some of my best friends are Bodhran players. But then, when I think about it, I am a rather sad, pathetic sort of a specimen, so maybe …………………………………….

Hey, by the way Bribe, why is it that Rock Drummers have to be substandard, eh?
Could it be that those p**fy songwriters, bassists, keys & guitarists are so insecure that they can’t handle the competition.

I mean, let’s face it, who gets all the attention at sessions from those gorgeous young female tourists, it sure as hell ain’t the Piper, Fiddler or Flute player! No it’s always the Bodhran player they go & speak to & of course he let’s them play with his instrument! - & do we get upset about it?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG - no, of course not!

Bribanjoe, perhaps you have tried the bodhran and failed? The duga-duga bit doesn’t sound very good.

And you have posted at the right moment. Tonight there will only be the guitarist and myself at our "session". Do not fret (no pun intended) we are talented and will manage without any "musicians". And it’s more money.

Jaysuz bliss, hold me back, where’s your session, I must…..

find out what’s on the tv tonight.

Posted by .

Maybe people dislike bodhran playing because they’ve never actually heard someone that knows how to play well.
This link might help some http://www.mance.com/workshops.html
Like I haven’t heard awful fiddlers, pipers, bazouki. show up at sessions week after week.
Remember sessions should be for all (beginner to professional, we all started out sucking) who love ITM. Those who are less talented should be educated and encouraged and lead in the right direction (who knows who will be the next great player).
I only say this because I started out playing ITM on mandolin 2 years ago and if it wasn’t for the encouragment of ‘better’ muscians on the scene I wouldn’t be at the level of playing that I’m at today.

Yeah, I took this thread to seriously, but stop the hating.