Do you have to be a baldy auld git to play this music?

Do you have to be a baldy auld git to play this music?

Ptarmigan blowing the cover of Kenny and myself, got me thinking that we’re all baldy auld gits - hence this thread. Contributions from other follically challenged members are encouraged…. 😉

Posted by .

Re: Do you have to be a baldy auld git to play this music?

Nope…some of us are hairy auld gits….

Posted .

And some of us are just hairy young gits. ;)

Don’t have to be auld to be bold.
S

Nope, but it sure does help yer street cred!

P. S. Do you score extra points for being baldy & beardy too, I wonder?
i.e. no question, you do have your head on upside down!

Ah well, there’s an advantage in not sporting whiskers - and not being able to tell if one’s head is on upside down. As Fat’s Waller said "A frown is a smile upside down" ;-( or 😉 ?

Posted by .

I’m for sure a baldy auld git, but I can’t say that it’s given me any advantage in playing the music or in anything at all, other than to garner a bit of respect from some Chinese friends who were brought up to respect the elderly. 🙂

Respect! That’s what we baldy auld men require - then of course there’s the old one about the bald patch being a solar sex cell…..

As regards the music - I must admit to my accompaniment on the guitar being rather more sparse than full. A correlation? What do you think?

Posted by .

Not at all, some remarkably young, talented, attractive,and fashionably dressed and coifurred people turned up at a session I was at the other week. Fortunately I was with my SO, which saved me from making a complete fool of myself.
There are some annoyingly good, young, and talented people around generally, which is why we have organised vigilantes to harry these people into shyness and reticence, lest they pipe up and play at sessions and embarress us old gits (, although some of them can run faster than us auldies ).
That’s the only reason why you think you need to be auld baldies to play this stuff.

I’m middle-aged and well-maned… but my also middle-aged husband, who is in the process of taking up the music, is rapidly balding… We’re both gits, though, of the cantankerous variety. 😉

I believe that I am a git, and I am pushing old (50). I have a good head of hair, though.

Well, two out of three ain’t bad…..

Funny how much difference appearance makes. My top is pretty sparse…

I got a call once to play background music on the replica of the Santa Maria, in costume, for a party of foreign business men & women. I was provided a cheap rennassaince costume. My wife insisted that I wear a cheap long haired wig that she had bought for a costume party long ago. So there I was, a true "authentic period player": a bald, light skinned white guy in a black wig and a cheap costume, playing a guitar, an instrument that didn’t even exist in its present form in 1492, playing "classical" music that was composed long after 1492. What a hoot! Nonetheless, a good time was had by all, and I was emboldened to purchase my own cheap costume - the same one - and started playing gigs in costume and wig, and wearing contact lenses. I was astounded at the positive increase in respect and audience appreciation I received.

I am an old baldie, but we don’t use the word git over here on this side of the pond, so I am not sure if that part applies to me.

Are you bald? Then your a git! It’s that simple!

that’s a ”not very nice question”

i’m not, but still …

Well lis, it was only a casual enquiry.
I mean to say I wasn’t insisting that you send me any photographic evidence or anything.
In fact it was more of a rhetorical question.
In fact, it wasn’t even a bl**dy question at all, it was more of a statement, so I don’t know why I even bothered adding a question mark in the first place.
Hell, why are you folks so touchy? 🙂
( Now that was a question! )

Because, touch is one of the most basic senses and one of the ones we rely on the most. Besides people have fun getting offended at stuff, myself included.

Baldy auld git? I beg your pardon?

Oh yeah, but it’s the chicken or the egg thing,. I got my first fiddle at the tender age of 17. Hair to my shoulders, rapier slim. Sharp eyed. Within a mere 8 years ( about the time I was a credible player) my hair was not receeding but receeded, Beard to my clavicles, and mesomorphic. Like a fool I kept at it. Now that’s my picture in the dictionary when you look up "Baldy Auld Git". I keep playing and keep getting aulder, fortunately I seem to have maxed out on the " Baldy" part. But is my mature playing the cause or effect?

P.S. all this and trifocals too.

Hmmm

I’m doomed, then

Aye, yer doomed Laddie! Yer a’ doomed!
Might as well face up to it & get in a supply of ‘Baldo’ (head polish) cause yer gonna need it! 🙂

No

Very illuminating ‘Show’. That really added something quite special to this discussion! I’d like to thank you most sincerely for that heartfelt response to this rather embarrassing & touchy subject. It must have taken great courage on your part to have opened yourself up like that, to the slings & arrows one might expect on this site. I am comforted by your comment & will sleep easier in my bed tonight. Good on ya!

hehe…yeah… and if being a auld, baldy, bearded git makes you a better player, then the entire Geology department at the local University should all be fine musisicians!

Eh, no tulloch, you are certainly wrong there.
If you followed that logic then all Morris Men would be great musicians - I rest my case!! 🙂

No I’m not talking about blokes who drive Morris Minors!! Duh!

An’ we know that how?

Now Tulloch, your basic logic is flawed here…..

Chickens lay eggs.
Do all eggs hatch out to be chickens?

For that matter, what do shakey eggs hatch out to be - Bodhran players?

Posted by .

Then again, on second thoughts, maybe your logic is sound……
😉

Posted by .

Shaky eggs hatch out and grow into lagerphones.

The ‘unwritten’ history has it that Geology professors started the bodhran into Irish music with their prehistoric insistance that banging rocks together makes for good percussion. Not much has changed, only they opt for the bodhran as it is lighter and therefor more portable than rocks…

well, I don’t really know. As for me:
- baldy: no, i just shave my hair very often
- auld: no, *only* 23
- git: depends how you define git 🙂
I think this music covers all types/ages/races/…

meh.

Padraig wrote: And some of us are just hairy young gits. ;)

Guernsey Pete wrote: Not at all, some remarkably young, talented, attractive,and fashionably dressed and coifurred people turned up at a session I was at the other week.

Where I am, at least, I’m finding GP’s observation more the rule. <Grumbling old man voice>In _my_ day, young people (in their 20s) playing Irish traditional music were scruffy and bearded — well, maybe not the women. Nowadays, they’re clean-shaven and sporting short-back-and-sides, if not outright crew cuts, and hardly even wear printed T-shirts anymore. THESE KIDS AND THEIR CRAZY FASHIONS!
</Grumbling old man voice>

As for me, I’ve had my beard for *gulp* a good quarter-century now, and plan on keeping it. It seems to be the place to where most of my gray hair gravitates.

Posted by .

I’m a beardy auld git meself, at fifty, with a full head of hair, but I haven’t been playing that long…
I think it’s the fag-smoke causes baldness…

Well, it’s nice to see folks have treated this thread as it was intended - i.e. irreverent fun, nothing more.
🙂

Posted by .

Why do you think I wear that hat??

Auld, baldy grey beard is me - but what was really worrying [as Billy Connolly once noted] is that ALL my hair is going grey - yes even down there!! 😉

Mind you the baldness thing is supposed to be linked to virility - baldy = REAL man 🙂

All very true Breandan - I can testify to that!

However, ever thought of "coming out"? Be proud to be… to be….
BBBBBB…….BALD.

There you go, I managed to say the "B" word - Phew, what a lot of effort though.
😉

Posted by .

Hey, think about it, all the sexiest men are Bald.

Wasn’t baldy Sean Connery voted the centuries sexiest man.

Now, not a lot of people know this, so keep it to yourself, but both big Sean & I were born in Edinburgh, we both worked as Edinburgh Milkmen & we are both incredibly sexy &, fact is, women just can’t resist us!!

Er-ook-oora! Er-ook-oora! Whooooosh……….

I’ve come out big time now - use a hair strimmer at setting number 1 but still need the hat on cold or wet days to keep the heat in 🙂

Nearly all my old musician friends are bald or with silver hair, why can’t I be like them? I don’t actually know if my singing partner of 30 years is bald or not, his Tammy is held on by a six inch nail……. I’m bearded now because after 45 years or so of shaving I thought to myself, how many hours of my life have I missed? Turns out to be 8,212 hours = 342 days, nearly a year……….incredible.

Many years ago, when I was starting to thin on top, I went hillwalking with a bunch of people - it was a very cold day in the Grampians in the middle of winter. Now, I didn’t normally wear a woolly hat, but had to that day. Well, what happened after coming off the hill? Obviously, we all went to the pub. After several pints, I went to the cluggie, as you do - I happened to look in the mirror and - the last few strands of hair I possesed on the top of my head, were sticking up vertically - and obviously had been the whole evening. Not a single person had said anything to me - BUGGERS!

So if there’s a dog in heaven, I’d say he must be bald too, AND have an irreverent sense of humour.

Posted by .

Hey, I swore and it wasn’t autocorrected!

Jeremy!!!

Posted by .

Well you didn’t autocoswore did you, so why should it be autocorrected?

S’funny but the balder I get the better I am - I thought it was down to time spent practicing but now I know it’s just the aging process 🙂