ALP Scots Music Group Classes

ALP Scots Music Group Classes

New term & look for ALP Scots Music Group

It’s that time of year again, when traditional music enthusiasts sign up for their new term of classes at the reputed ALP Scots Music Group classes.
The Scots Music Group new term of classes will begin the week beginning 12th September at various venues across the city. They have classes in fiddle, whistle, step dance, ceilidh dancing, accordion, bodhran, mixed instrument, song, moothie, pipes and at various levels. So there is a class for everyone. Full details are available on the website www.alpscotsmusic.org or by phoning for a brochure 0131 555 7668.

There is an enrolment day on the 6th September at St Colm’s, Dalry Road between 11am-2pm and that evening enrolment night at Boroughmuir School 7.30pm – 9pm. This provides the opportunity for participants to meet tutors, staff and other participants in an informal setting, getting advice and tips on which class would be appropriate, and to guarantee your place in your chosen class.

They are also planning some new exciting events, with a session run every evening of the classes, in Boroughmuir School, for participants to have a tune and meet other class members, Power of Song in November, Ceilidh Culture workshops in March and a four week programme of workshops in May/ June.

The Scots Music Group employ some of the best traditional musicians on the
scene to tutor at the classes, this years line up includes, Leo McCann, Derek Hoy, Nigel Gatherer, Sarah-Jane Fifield, Lee Moore, Amy Geddes, Andrew Warren, Yvonne Burgess, Mary McCann, Sarah Northcott, James Ross, Keith Dickson, Dave Francis, the list goes on. See our website for full details.

For more information or a programme please visit http://www.alpscotsmusic.org or phone 0131 555 7668

New Address of organisation The Drill Hall, 36 Dalmeny Street, Edinburgh EH6 8JR. info@alpscotsmusicgroup.org

Posted by .

Re: ALP Scots Music Group Classes

You don’t half get around, Jenny. :-)

Anyway, although I don’t go these days, I’d recommend these classes for anyone wanting to get started playing traditional music. They *do* get you playing "the tunes" straight away which is a good thing(as discussed on the other thread).
Unfortunately, Irish music was officially "frowned upon" by the ALP hierarchy but, thankfully, the more enlightened tutors always "sneaked a few tunes in".
:-)
Still, many of principles are the same and the focus is on learning by ear. So, you can’t really go wrong.

Ah, I would disagree with Irish Music being "frowned upon". Our aim however is to promote Scottish Music first & foremost, but give our students the opportunity to learn Irish, American, Norwegian etc.. tunes to. Many of our tutor’s do this and is even discussed at the tutor training evenings. Can really see me telling Leo not to teach Irish tune. Maybe it’s just changed days.

We do focus on learning by ear though, and encourage playing music with other classes so students can get a feel for how great playing traditional music is.

Posted by .

As you say, it’s probably changed days. At the time it started, Irish sessions predominated, although there was still Sunday afternoon in Bells, The Fiddlers Arms, West End Hotel where you could hear Scottish music even then.

So, it was the idea to promote Scottish music but even Stan himself enjoyed the odd Irish tune from time to time. :-)

Aye, a well remember all the Irish Music in Bells back in the 70s, & occasionally sneaking down to the West End Hotel - although that was more for the drink than the Scottish Music!

I also remember trying, in vain, to get an Irish tune in Inverness in the early 80s, but being scolded, frowned at & chased by the Inverness Fiddlers, cause they didn’t allow Irish Music on the premises, it was prohibited.

Hey, fair enough I reckon cause Scottish Music was a rare beastie in Trad circles of Scotland then & we’re only talking twenty years ago! So bodies like the ALP have done a great job getting it mainstream now - fair play!

After all, Irish Music is strong all over the world & I think that Scottish Trad is safe & strong enough now, so it doesn’t need to be afraid of ITM any more!

P. S. I see they meet in my old school - Boroughmuir! Ah that takes me back……………………………………