Is Any One Learing Gaelic Here

Is Any One Learing Gaelic Here

All these years and i never knew my grandma could speak Gaelic. Yesterday when i went to visit she was on the phone chatting away in the ruddy language. This has inspired me to start learning it and I’ve got some stuff of the Internet. Problem Is I need someone to pronounce the Irish words properly. I can only guess the correct pronunciation with the pronunciation guide I have got. I think ill have to buy some books that come with tapes or cd’s (anybody know any good ones)

neways I was just wondering can anyone speak Gaelic or is learning it at the moment?

Re: Is Any One Learing Gaelic Here

There’s a good book available for Gaelic students that you might like to purchase.

It’s called "Brush up your Erse".

That’ll be lost on most non-Scots, John.

John, that was a wee bit of a coorse double entendre, and really required a winking smiley face to go with it at the very least! S.McMullen was simply asking if any of the thesession.org members are learning Irish.
🙂

Posted by .

I know. I really sorry. 🙂

By the way, Ron, what do the first few words of your profile say again? 😉

Hi John, I know it was said with your tongue firmly in your cheek - all I was suggesting was to clarify it.
🙂

Posted by .

Have a look at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/irish/blas/learners/index.shtml
you can learn online but you’ll end up with a hideous northern accent 😉

If you go to www.rnag.ie there’s a trad programme on at 7pm & if you know the words for reel, jig etc & the names of the counties, you can follow a surprising amount!

There’s a vocab test on the BBC site & everyone should have a go because there’s loads of music-related words you’ll recognise.

Great to hear that you are taking an interest in the language. It is easily as beautiful as the music.

One thing I would say is that no one here ever refers to it as ‘Gaelic’. It is always referred to as Irish. I do not know where the word ‘gaelic’ comes from in this context. But I suspect it is an attempt to divide the people from the language i.e German people speak German, French people speak french, english people speak english but Irish people speak ‘Gaelic’. Surely, logically, Irish people speak Irish.

Loads of resources these days. Raidio na Gaeltachta is on the Internet and 916 on Sky. TG4 is 269.

And for those of us in the north, we do not have a ‘hideous accent’.

Abair amach e, an teanga dhilis aduaidh!

Posted by .

Hi Pól, "Gaelic" is the anglisised version of the word for the language in Scotland - Ghàidhlig. What’s the Irish word for the Irish Language?

Posted by .

is the northen language the same as the southern pritty much? cus i know there are differences in ireland.

Just accent differences really, any other slight differences
are in teh same manner as you would have of northers and southern speaking English.

Posted by .

Ni raibh me ach ag magadh, a Phoil.

(Sorry if I got that wrong. We left Ireland when I was 9. Also don’t know how to do fadas on this)

Gaeilge is the Irish word for it.

An bhuil gaeilge agat ?

Posted by .

do you speak gaelic? NOT yet

i wish the man on the bbs website would slow down and not ramble on so much at the beggining lol

Brush up your Erse?
I imagine that to have been written by a Republican prisoner in the H-Blocks and to be semi-autobiographical.

A’ Phóil, Chan eil Gaeilge agam, co-dhiubh tha beagan Ghàidhlig agam - tha mi ag ionnsachadh an drasda.

Posted by .

Fair play to you, S.McMullen.
Let us know how you are feeling when you have to start studying the modh coinníolach.I think u’ll be cursing your granny.

That fu*in thing still gives me nightmares.

Buntus Cainte was a great source (books and accompanying cassettes) - I worked my way through about half of the series which still leaves me a "Beagán Gaeilge" type person but "is grá liom an teanga" and maybe one of these days good intentions will be turned into action!

I don’t know if Buntus Cainte is available any more but recently a great pamphlet was published by Padraic Ó Maoilchiarain (Craobh Chualann CCÉ, Dublin) called Focal ar Fhocal. Each pamphlet contains a large number of common words with translations. The words consist of nouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives so that they can be combined to make literally thousands of sentences. If you’d like to get hold of these pamphlets, come along to the Friday night session (if you’re in Dublin) or alternatively send an e-mail to cualann@hotmail.com and I’m sure they’ll put some in the post to you.

Stacey, dear, the best way for you to learn Irish is your grandmother. 🙂

I have a CD by someone called Plimsol or Pilsner or something like that, which I used to listen to in the car. I left that experience behind with a few dozen words in my vocabulary, and a tremendous appreciation for the complexity of the language, and especially how differently it sounds from the way it looks when it is grafted to a roman alphabet and put into writing.

I wish I knew someone who spoke gaelic, i think it’s a great language, especially the insults. 🙂

Visit http://www.forasnagaeilge.ie/ for more information. I don’t know where you can pick up these good insults Flutie - they could be very useful in the session situation; for example "Tóg do Bhodhrán agus Chuir sé san áit nach bfhuil an ghrian ag soilsiú" Don’t worry bodhrán players mar atá mé ag magadh!

I have a friend who’s studying irish, scottish and welsh in Belfast, and she taught me one piece of irish gaelic, which goes something like, ‘May the devil take you for his concubine’

HA!!! Brilliant!!

Not to be confused with porcupine.

Tootie, that image just doesn’t bear thinking about!! 🙂

my grandmother is a bit deaf and she lives in the nottingham city where i live about 8 miles away plus shes 83 so i dont think she wud want to teach

Let’s see, a chance to pass on something of what she knows of her own place to her grandson before she leaves the planet? I think she’d be willing to teach you a thing or two. Give the old dear a bit of the chance to give you something of her that she’ll know you’d have learned from no one else. Even if it’s just a few words or a phrase here and there.

I agree with Zina, and please don’t right her off just because she’s a bit deaf and 83. Both of my living grandparents are in their mid to upper eighties and our incredibly active. They have taught me how to bowl, play dominoes, and many different card games. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience to deal with the elderly, but it’s definitely worth it. And 8 miles jsut isn’t that far away, you could probably make it at least once a week. She’d probably be delighted to see you.

"I agree with Zina, and please don’t right her off just because she’s a bit deaf and 83!

Ah, that explains a lot!
Can you tell us any more about Zina? 🙂

Aye, she’s an "old soul" all right….

Posted .

I’d also love to learn Gaelic. However, I’ve been a bit hesitant because I understand that there are several different dialects. Is that correct? If so, which one is the most widely spread?

Posted by .

sod off, both of you. *snort*

Yes, there’re different dialects and I don’t speak any of them myself.

"Sod off"
LoL, coming from someone who’s soon to be as old as dirt.
*guffaw*

Posted .

I hate these learing Gaelic speakers, one of them came up to my SO when were in Galway and leared all over her, had to get a towel from behind the bar.
(Motto - proof-read before you post ). LOL

Hmm, don’t you just love the way I wrote that. I should be ashamed of myself. That was a horrific example of dangling modifiers to say the least. Anyways, I meant don’t write off your grandma just because she’s 83. Not Zina, as I’m sure all of you smart people knew.

Hey, it gave me a chance to tell Ptarmigan and Will BOTH to sod off, and how often do I get a chance like that? 🙂

BTW, it’s worth remembering that Will’s birthday present for me this year is LEAVING my house on my birthday. *smirk*

Well Zina, if you don’t mind then I’m always happy to oblige. Just let me know when you want me to set it up so that you can tell them both to sod off.

Hey, you smarmy git musicfan, it’s far too late to back out of it now.
Less of the sweet talkin’.
You can’t worm your way out of this one now!
Come on, the truth is out now & your the one what outed Zina - so we’ll put that on your tombstone!
Should you live long enough to read it?

Aye Jim, that Dulcimer Festival has moved up to Bushmills, as of this year, so I look forward to Tomo paying us a visit up here, with his H D & Fiddle.

P. S. Not being fit to ‘Speak the Gaelic’ I don’t understand the term ‘Sod Off’, but I’m sure it is one of endearment! 🙂

Cuddles to you too Zina! 🙂

LOL — something like that…something like that… 🙂

Hmm,
Here lies the one who outed Zina

kinda has a nice ring to it. whaddya think? 😉

Heck, we’ll even make the stone Trapezoid, just for you!

Really?!? That is so awesome. Ya’ll are so nice. 😛

Being nocturnal, I slipped in to a pub one afternoon to get out of the sun and there was a Gaelic (but they kept saying "gwaliguh") lesson, going on. I sat in the back and learned how to say "Jesus Murrow- witch" . This guy wrote "fir" on the whiteboard and kept pointing at it and saying "fee yer" so I realized that the Irish accent and the Texas accent are exactly the same. 🙂

Three main dialects in Ireland; Donegal, Connaught, and Munster (Kerry and Cork).
I’ve been working on the "Conny" version for about a year now, with mixed results.
If you visit the Fhoras na Gaelige website you’ll find links for all kinds of resources. Buntus is good, there are three little volumes with 60 lessons each, including CDs. RTE radio also has a new multimedia course call Turas Teanga which features all three dialects with video clips you can view at the website-http://www.rte.ie/tv/turasteanga/
Have fun!
Another resource you may wish to look into later, though it’s a little pricey, is a program called "Easy Reader" http://www.irishforlife.com/
It’s a computer program that allows you to import or create texts in just about any format and gives a translation and pronounciation for any word in the text, in the dialect of your choice, by simply clicking on the word.

Posted by .

I’ve been trying to learn Gaelic (any variety) on and off all my life, but never really had anyone to speak it with. One of my mates gave up (Scots) Gaelic when he came across the phrase "Ta an Iolar ans doras." (There is an eagle in the doorway - you can still see this phrase in the "Teach Yourself Gaelic" book). He said "If they’ve got eagles anywhere near their doorways, I don’t want to know."
And another mate gave up Greek when he came across the verb "sesthesthesthe". I couldn’t blame him.
And I gave up Arabic when I came across the dual case in nouns.
But I can still say
"Is minic do bréas an beal duine a srón"
(Many a time a man’s mouth broke his nose) which seems to fit almost any occasion…

Who called you "Innocent" anyway? You sound quite intelligent to me! 🙂

‘Is minic do bréas an beal duine a srón’.

I’m sorry I can’t follow that. Usually it is rendered here as

‘Is iomai an bheal is grisin briste’

(Many’s a mouth is a broken nose)

Intended figuratively. Of course.

Posted by .