What are your hobbies?

What are your hobbies?

OK, its time for me to be a nosy ‘git’ again, and ask everyone another question about themselves. Reveal at your own discretion, or stay silent if you prefer. What are your hobbies, or things you do with your time besides your job and/or your music? (We won’t argue about whether or not music is a hobby or a job, I think we have already done that to death-but then again, maybe we will argue about it, you never know where these threads will go.) This is a diverse bunch of folks, and the jobs everyone revealed in the thread I started a while ago were very interesting. Since what is good for the goose is good for the gander—I will start off. When not working or playing music, I am usually playing golf (good Scottish game there), watching baseball (go Red Sox), or reading a book (mostly sea stories, science fiction or theology, these days).

Re: What are your hobbies?

Arguing about;

Politics

Gaelic Football

Soccer

Cricket

Golf

Other sports

work

women

drink

drugs

I don’t actually do most of the things above now, just argue about them. My last remaining active hobby is drama, acting, directing, producing, and writing. yes, I still write so that’s another "hobby".

Besides fiddling, I’m really into astronomony. I’ve got a telescope taller than me (a 16-inch truss-Dobsonian) and I work in a Planetarium. I scuba dive as well.

I act as an international courier and have my own submarine. I’m also a practised liar.

Fishing (obviously)

I have three main hobbies. When not playing the whistle, I play the banjo, when not playing the banjo I play the guitar, when not playing the guitar I’m playing the whistle.

P.S. Once in awhile I get involved in a game of texas-hold-em.

Reading and photography. If you like sea stories get a copy of
Shadow Divers. A true story and very suspenseful.

Mary

Long-distance running and racing; DIY; static caravanning; walking & cycling; reading; watching telly; used to do rock climbing.

Oh, if we can include things we USED to do ….
๐Ÿ™‚

Horseback riding — mainly dressage and trail riding and jumping when I’m feeling brave.

Giving free breast exams to carefully pre-selected volunteers in my apt.

Reading.

Humming and whistling.

Watching the wildlife in my backyard.

Watching really good movies.

Playing silly games with my cat, who is highly competitive and never lets me win.

Audio engineering.

Engaging in civilized polemical discussions (okay, arguing) about politics, drug policy and the abuse of science and statistics.

Writing to my senators and representatives in Congress to give them the benefit of my breathtaking insight into the aforementioned subjects.

Reading replies from said legislators wherein they explain that my insight is badly mistaken and wouldnโ€™t take a gnatโ€™s breath.

Hmmm… Well, aside from the music.. [My hobby now IS music but umm…]

Origami - I wish I could say that I’ve been making music as long as I have been doing origami.

Poetry - I’m more of the humourous type so don’t expect anything serious from me.. =P

And I suppose watching food network, reading food & wine magazines, as well as umm.. The other food magazines.. Ironically enough, I don’t cook anything more than scrambled eggs. I can also make a mean cereal =]

Cheers,
Armand

Love David a’ s reply! - I have 2 small kids too, but I insist on sea kayaking (have a 16.5’ long one on the living room wall), biking, fiber and collage artist, making bread/cooking, learning languages, and oh yeah, LSI engineer in the daytime to pay for all that and the nice fiddle….bring along the girls to lots of activies anyway. They seem happy ๐Ÿ™‚

It depends on your motives I guess.

I remember the small kids schedule: napping was very big on my list of activities.

Now the kids are starting to leave home, and I think about what hobbies I will try to recover:
Caving. Nope. No limestone here. Lava tubes are only moderately interesting.
Cycle touring. Maybe. Must buy newer bike. Maybe new knees.
Fishing. Yes. Steelhead are beginning to come up the river.
Trail running. Yes; but can’t keep up with youngest daughter.
Skiing. REALLY can’t keep up with youngest daughter.
Collecting cats and talking to myself…..wait another 10 years…

Everything but golf.

KFG

Posted by .

Used to do stained glass projects - windows, lamps, nightlights. AND THEN I discovered ITM. The glass hobby was nice while is lasted. ๐Ÿ™‚

Read my bio …

Been there…

Posted by .

Reading, long-distance walking, family geneology

Ha! DavidA - I somehow suspect your rhetorical question was intended with a humorous subplot. See me? Always on the ball. Sharp as a razor, me. Ha ha, I’m yer man.

2 pints of lager and a packet of lithium, please. Oh, and could you do me a half pint of desipramine and a short of haloperadol? Cheers!

Ummm…where was I? For that matter where am I?

To clarify for non-UK people, a caravan is a trailer in Americanese. A mobile home you put on the back of your car. Claro? But a static caravan is basically a loophole so you can have a cheap holiday home. So you buy one on a plot for 3,000-10,000 pounds, then you pay the rental of 1000 or 2,000PA and then you basically have two homes. If you get a nice quiet site such as ours, in rural coastal Suffolk, they are a fu<king great investment, ie weekend breaks are sorted…not to mention the quiet idyllic short holidays you can have. Especially if you have kid(s), particulary little ones. Ours is near Dunwich, actually very close to Dunwich Heath and Minsmere Bird Sanctuary.
So the "hobby" bit is that I am forever doing stuff to improve our caravanning "experience" — stuff like:
Gas: propane or butane?
Lecky: only by 12 volt batteries but boosted by solar panel.
Fridge: gas powered.
Patio: I made one recently - a bit wonky but WTF
And so on. A constant labour of love.
200 yards from the beach. Sea vista from the cliffs equal the Cliffs of Moher..or is that Mohair. Sunsets to die for. Sunrises to wake up for! The night sky has more stars than black bits in between. The barbeques and cameraderie with our South London emigre gang, second to none (except going to sessions! - that’s an eternal!)

OK, I’ve said enough.

Family, skiing, golf, bicycle commuting, hiking, rock climbing, moutaineering.

Sorry browndog, bicycle commuting a *hobby*? I do it too, but round here it’s fight for survival….as well as (for me) the second quickest way to get to work, extra work-out, and my own little "eco-duty".

Pub darts. No one thought the orchestra teacher could throw. Ha. Never mess with an orch-dork.

I’ll remember that. Just make sure you don’t come down the Blythe wielding a sharpened Baton…or fiddle bow.
Please don’t sharpen my flats.

Baking bread, cakes, and other pastries. Food in general. Reading about it, cooking it, eating it. Investigating new wineries in Washington State. If you like wine and you haven’t tried some Walla Walla Washington reds yet, you should. They are excellent. Reading trashy lawyer/courtroom drama novels for complete escape. Traveling.

Pingu - your plot of land sounds great. Can we all come and camp there? We could probably have a great session.

Amateur astronomy, birdwatching, kayaking, getting divorced.

JohnC - what a dream that would be! It would be great craic if some of our local heads were to come up here in the first instance. But, and I kid you not, the country air has you asleep by 11pm, so there’s no late nights…unless of course we were to sit round a beach fire, then you might last till midnight!

BTW, Chautauqua, getting divorced is a hobby? My understanding is that a hobby is some activity you do on a regular basis. Yeah?

That works for me, Pingu. Obviously, unlike you, I’m usually asleep by 11pm anyway (its only 6 pm on 9/9 where I am). Of course, when the music and the craic are great, its impossible to go to sleep before midnight!

Hobbies? I don’t have time for hobbies! ;)

If I had any, they would be:

Reading (I love my books!)

Gardening

History

A little sewing (I’m sounding like a sweet little old lady….)

And always, practicing.

Posted by .

Reading, writing, cooking, and flirting.

A somewhat obscure Filipino martial art, traveling. Still gotta’ count music in there.

Posted by .

Drinking. And thesession.org. Oh, and trail running on the 5,600 foot mountain four blocks from home, backpacking, kayaking, skiing (telemarking) and snowboarding, wildlife watching (particularly bears and birds of prey), reading, juggling, mountain biking, woodworking (NOT including all the house remodeling and building I’ve done), paintball, cooking, ice hockey, snorkeling, and watching after my 89 year old neighbor who also used to do many of these things.

Posted .

Hey "The Phantom Button,"
When you said you gave free breast exams, it reminded me that "coleman’s piano player" stated the same thing as a profession in another thread. Is periodically changing your screen name on The Session one of your hobbies? Or is this just an uncanny conincidence?

cycling fast; flyfishing slow

Posted by .

competitive volleyball, golf (sorry KFG), and drinking.

Pete

I’m semi-professional.

Sailing. And, of course, reading about sailing.
I will spare you the long list of what I USED to do and also the one of what I HARDLY EVER do.
I can’t play tunes while sailing, but a lot of people in anchorages get to hear mandolin, whether they like it or not.

You mean, apart from ITM, reading Session discussions, contributing to Session discussions, etc…………?
Making things we dn’t need ( "What, you made two pvc flutes, why didn’t you paint the french windows instead ?" ) approx 5% of my time; planning to make things we don’t need 85% of my time; I guess I just waste the rest…………

Cycling, inline speed skating, reading, fiddle and guitar. In that order, though lately fiddle has taken second to guitar even, I’m getting really tired of making little to no progress… I’m at that point where I’ve reached my talent threshold for music and I suck so bad at guitar it’s easy to get better at almost every time I pick it up. So thinking about it, perhaps one of my hobbies is being a mediocre fiddle player.

Anyone else wondering about TPB? I mean about ‘The Phantom’? After all, the ‘Caped Crusader’ was a semi professional too!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, have you got your handkerchiefs handy for this is a sad, sad tale of woe. Now this is about a friend of mine, who wishes to remain anonymous.
Once upon a time a young man had a proper job, & a hobby. His hobby was playing Irish Music. Now he loved playing this music SO much that he bucked his job into touch & started playing ITM full time. So now, sadly, this poor fellow has absolutely no time at all for any hobbies, because he spends all his time, day & night, night & day, trying to make ends meet playing ‘anywhichwayhecan’ for a crust here, and a crust there.
So if you have any compassion in your hearts at all, please send all your spare cash to me, & I’ll see that he gets it.

Cycling, camogie, golf and catching up on sleep every chance I get!!

Posted by .

music, modeling, reading, anything to do with farming or animal care (except for cats i cant stand cats) and history.

Travelling around in north Britain and west Ireland, eating haggis, tasting whiskey, swapping some tunes with other travelling musicians in hostels, joining in local sessions, etc.

Being an annoying git. This extreme sport can be carried out almost anywhere but has to be curtailed if you are trying to get home on the last bus.

Like Gallopede, but concentrating on my beard. It is long enough to braid, now, and braided beards stay braided without having to resort to elastic bands or clips to hold them in place. Reactions range from withering scorn (wife) to barely suppressed giggles. Nobody has physically attacked me yet, on this score, although one of the villagers I meet rushing for the train told me he saw my picture in the paper. When pressed, he realised it was an actor in the Radio Times portraying W.G. Grace. Unbraided, I like stroking my beard. It’s like having a pussy on my chin and helps stop me picking my nose.
I read, do recreational mathematics (which my wife says is an oxymoron). Write my own computer games. Also the Paganism, which involves exploring strange woods, meeting odd people and the occasional mind-bending experience. The Native American Music I heard at the Bush Farm Powwow was the the most addictive I’ve come across since ITM.
And still trying to produce the perfect penny whistle. The Low D I’ve made is pretty good, but I think I can improve on the high ones. But perhaps that counts as ITM.

Tending my critters, canning fruit from our orchard, cross-stitch and knitting, reading. Oh, and I really like to whine about not having time to get my vegetable garden started or get back into the kind of physical shape I was in ten years ago (or is that a fantasy?)

Watching Soccer esp Crystal Palace (season ticket holder in the house - common you Eagles!?)

Camoigie - When I can get off of my arse!

Watching GAA - Up Galway - must start a thread about how we’re going to batter Cork tomorrow ( well I hope anyway!)

But my main hobbie is getting VERY drunk. I practice and pratice and pratice! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ™‚

Reading

Internet Radio (it’s the most recent one)

Rambling

Dancing

Singing, as well as listening to music

Cats

Traveling

Getting into bizzarre situations (it is REALLY my hobby, and I tend to ask for ‘trouble’)

Socializing with strangers, especially chatting with nice ladies met in totally random places.

"Other" kinds of music, classical studies, country walking, and mountain biking in local woodland. Used to enjoy and do a lot of road cycling at one time, but the traffic levels are so bad now that it feels distinctly dangerous and has quite lost its pleasure.

Trevor

fishing,cycling,classic cars and tractors,rallying,late night crazy partys(dancing on tables etc).

Posted by .

Ptarmigan, I didn’t realize you knew me so well… friend. Thanks for the concern and raising funds for me… you’re a real pal… especially when things get so dire. Cheers. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. I don’t make any money giving breast exams in my apt BTW… I volunteer to do it as a public service.

miss walshie - are you in SE or S London perchance?

My hobby is training to be a news reader. Can I practice on you?

Friend of mine was at the England / Norn Iron match this week & he tells me his uncle, a policeman, was on duty at the match & he caught some England fans climbing over the wall, but he managed to catch them in the act & chased them - ‘back inside again’!! ๐Ÿ™‚

He also found a dead English supporter outside the ground after the match. He was dressed in the English teams kit, so he took that off & dressed him in a womans bra & pants, just so that his family wouldn’t be embarassed!! ๐Ÿ™‚

In case you didn’t know, the mighty English team were trounced by Norn Iron!!

We know. we know ….

I’m a bit of a distance runner. Also a long-distance whistle player: I go a long distance away from anybody else and play the whistle. I’ve found it makes me popular.

Don’t worry, I’m better on the fiddle, really….

Soooo little time- so many things

Biking of any sort (mountain, road, touring and tandem)- Hiking, backpacking, bagging peaks, kayaking, running (more like jogging…) backcountry skiing, winter camping, raquetball, rambling with my pups and an occasional game of tennis or volleyball. If I am not in active mode- then it’s movies, gardening, reading, SuDoku, heffeweisen and/or wine (pinot noir or pinot gris)….

- gathering information for and expanding my website (concerning folk/trad music)
- reading newspapers instead of watching TV
- politics including election campaigning (we’ve got general elections next Sunday)
- walking the dog, keeping an eye on the pot plants.

Posted by .

PINGU

I’m in South London, yup!

Why do you know me?? Runs to the corner and hides… .ahhhhh

Gardening, watching movies, writing.

ITM - currently fiddling is my greatest passion.

Reading - always got my nose in a book or magazine.

Tending my vegetable plot - sometimes I get discouraged by the amazing crops of weeds but my beloved wife encourages me through the hard times…. and works twice as hard as me!

Painting - just now I’m into line and wash but i chop and change media, and I tend to save art stuff for when on vacation.

Sambuca, Jamesons robust red wine and Draught Guinness.

Sitting - sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. I’ve got medals for it.

Aha! So there are golfer musicians! I knew I’d find a few, and very few. Those are my two passions: golf and music. I’m a 6 hdcp and play local, sometimes State, and hoping to do some USGA ones next year. I travel with my clubs and my fiddle. Wish I could take the banjo, guitar and mandolin, but…well, you do what you can do. For other golfers…PEI…just got back and the most beautiful courses you’ve yet to see are on this island, very affordable. A somewhat unknown paradise. If you wanna know more, contact me offline.

Hobbies? Never really thought about it but now you come to mention it, er - sounds pathetic really but I really enjoy sewing and knitting and spinning and other similar stuff. They are therapeutic I think. This is apart from music of course, playing, dancing to, listening to, collecting tunes, etc. And drawing and painting but that’s assumed as my parents were both artists and it’s expected.

And watching TV (that’s where the knitting and sewing comes in, so I don’t feel guilty ‘doing nothing’).

Joe CSS long distance whistling reminds me of that joke that goes "Can you play over the hills and far away? Off you go, then!"

But the beard-braiding gave me the biggest smile. - thanks, Innocent Bystander!

Outside of mandolin and bodhran, I’m active in SF fandom (fanzines, conventions), I write SF (semi-successfully), and I fish (unsuccessfully). I occasionally delve into a past pasttime of studying Japanese language and culture, but the stone has grown cold and it would take some work to get back up to speed. I wish I had more time for gaming than I do, but it’s probably a good thing that I don’t.

Cheers!