Research on monuments in Ireland

Research on monuments in Ireland

I am currently conducting research on a variety of issues surounding Irish traditional music within Ireland and its relationship with place and society. With this in mind I am investigating methods of memory relating to Irish traditional music. At the moment I am attempting to catalogue monuments and statues to Irish traditional musicians throughout Ireland and examine who organised their construction and what these monuments mean to the local communities.

I would appreciate members of the session could inform me of such memorials, no matter how small, to musicians in their local area or of memorials that they know about.

A discussion might grow out of this relating to how appropriate these statues are, what other connotations these statues possess and perhaps lay a question as to why certain musicians have been forgotten about in their native areas.

I would appreciate if any details of monuments could be emailed to monumentresearch@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Re: Research on monuments in Ireland

Best of luck with this, Dceol, I’m not sure how far you’ll get with it. In my experience, monuments to musicians depend largely on how compatible their legacy is with the kitsch and folksy images that the Irish tourist industry is addicted to. Or they are the product of Anglo-Irish sentimentality. Newcastle in County Down scores miserably in both categories with its homage to the awful Percy French.

I’m sure that as ITM continues to find confidence in its own identity and is viewed increasingly with pride rather than embarrassment by Irish people, then monuments will become more common. If ITM is acceptable to the point of being cliched in advertising then surely the good burghers and civic guardians of Irish towns can’t be far behind in commissioning statues and murals. At the moment, the monument scene in Ireland is pretty much dominated by WWI stuff and republican memorials to their dead from different generations. If you’re a writer, Bord Failte in the south are more likely to stump up some funding.

I seem to remember hearing about a mural being commissioned to commemorate Belfast fiddler Sean Maguire.

Best of luck.

The mural to commemorate Sean Maguire for his contribution to Irish Music and the teaching he did in Belfast was unveiled Last month on the Falls Road at the corner of Iveagh parade.If you want a couple of digital photos of the mural or the unveiling ceremony Email me .

Posted by .

off the top of my head….

1.Statue of Ocarolan in Mohill co.Leitrim.
2.memorial to paddy keaney in Drumcondra Co.Dublin.
3.Plaque to Seamus Ennis in Naul Co.Dublin.
4.(not trad but.brand new statue to Phil Lynnot) off Grafton St .Co.Dublin.
5.Statue of Seamus Ennis (ditto no.3).

I’ll try to remember some more.

6. There is a plaque to Micho Russel in Doolin, Co. Clare.

There was a recent article in my Sunday paper on monuments to individuals, some of whose families try to have these erected in otherwise wild, beautiful, and unspoiled parts of the country.
I think the writers’ point was that private grief for an individual should not be foisted on uninvolved members of the public. ( and spoil these beautiful wild spots for the rest of us. )
But then there’s the honouring, for all to see in public places, of people of worth and talent, which is an entirely different matter.
And then there’s the too subtle honouring of those worthy of note.
William Wilberforce’s monument in Camden Town just has his name on it, and perhaps needs adding to in modern times, to explain that he successfully campaigned for the abolition of slavery ( well, in Britain, at least ).

There’s a sculpture of a fiddler in Ennis. Generic, but a monument to traditional music on the whole.

There’s a fine bronze statue to Edmund Keating Hyland (1780-1845) in Cahir, Co.Tipperary. He was blinded by smallpox at 15 years of age and was reputed to have become the ‘prince of pipers’. I have a picture if you want it.
Then there’s the Stone Fiddle in Castlecaldwell in Fermanagh - look up Paddy Tunney’s book for a full story of it.
I heard something a few months ago about a new statue to a box player in a village in Mayo, I think.

Posted .

There’s one on a roadside on a hill above Bantry of ‘Chief’ Francis O’Neill, posing with a flute.

Martin

Yes it’s a sculpture in Ballindine in honour of Martin O’Donoghue, a melodeon, boxplayer, and lilter who taught in the area. He was also a force for disabled rights, especially for drivers. His daughter, Bernie Geraghty, is a mighty concertina player and teaches all around.

AFAIK there was some controversy about the sculpture, but the last time I drove past it was still there. Unfortunately I don’t know the details about the problems.

There’s a small plaque to Seán Reid, who made an amazing contribution to traditional music back in the sixties, located at Cois na hAbhna in Ennis. There’s also a plaque commemorating the great musician and music teacher, Jack Mulkere (Brendan’s father) located by the roadside in Crusheen village, Co. Clare.

This summer, while at the Joe Mooney school we stumbled on a delightful monument, celebrating Josie McDemott in I believe it was Ballyfarnon, Co Roscommon.
Heather

I am struggling to recall just where it is, but there’s a nice monument to Tom Billy Murphy in Sliabh Luachra.

It’s on the north side of an east/west road, somewhere east of Rathmore railway station…

I have a picture of it somewhere…

In Liscarroll there is a wall with a big plaque for Paddy O’Brien (the deceased one) and a more recent one added for Liz Carroll. Not in the castle, but in town.

stv

http://www.cdbaby.com/Culchies

See also http://music.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/soundsirish/article.shtml
http://www.msu.edu/%7Esolomonc/dublin10large.htm
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AMusic/FrancisONeil.html
And in New York!!
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=12503

The real memorial to musicans, of course, is in the playing of their music and the ethic of attributing your tunes to some of these great men and women. I also like the idea of the memorial festival which seeks to keep the names of our musical forebears connected to the music of today.