Do you hoot and holler?

Do you hoot and holler?

I have sometimes felt that our session was a little bit too serious, and could use some livening up—but then a fellow showed up who was just too disruptive with his random whooping and growling, and we had to ask him to go find another session. (Maybe he’s quieter when he’s sober—but I haven’t seen him that way yet, so I don’t know.)

So—at your sessions, do you do a lot of grunting and yelping, or do you just play the tunes? In our area, just playing seems to be the general rule.

Re: Do you hoot and holler?

Why all the prejudice against pfluters?

Some of us have more important things to do with our mouths. Drinking, then playing. Can;t shout during either.

What’s a pfluter?

Peeople who can drink beer and play flute at the same time, clearly.

Oh yeah, I guess some ventriloquists can do that too….

We had someone at the session last night who sat directly behind the session leader and would hoot everytime he liked one of the tunes we were playing. It was funny to see the session leaders eyes widen with a big smile on his face - it’s nice. Not like last weeks’ session when a stupid lady kept requesting songs rudely and started to tell us to shove off and kept putting her fingers in her ears when she wasn’t shovelling down the pints.

Posted by .

We have a guy who turns up at our Ballad session now & again & ‘Yodels’ after each song! First time it’s OK but by the end of the night you just want to stretch out, put your hands round his neck & just S Q U E E Z E………………………………

"So—at your sessions, do you do a lot of grunting and yelping,……?" What kinda sessions we talking about here? 🙂

There’s quite a bit about this in:

thesession.org/discussions/5585

Do owls find sessions a hoot?

We "hup’ for the end of tunes, but it has been a while since there were any significant hoots or other vocal outbursts during our playing (I guess we have been getting lazy lately or something).

As an alternative to the "holler-hooters" (calm down, ptar!) you might want to make a point of just turning to the person next to you and sharing a quick joke, or funny though. Not too much, just to get the feeling across that banter IS okay at your circle. 🙂

-P

Thanks for the link to the past discussion, showaddydadito. I would have found it myself, but I didn’t know to search for "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaagh!"

Our guy was also one who could play really fast even though he was really drunk. But his vocalizing did distract some people so much that they couldn’t play their best. The last straw was when he showed up drunk (as always), without his own instrument (as always), and there didn’t happen to be one to borrow, so he sat/swayed in his chair and hummed randomly between loud yeeows! and hoooos! We decided that "tough love" was called for.

I really do hope he sobers up and uses his powers for Good. But I’m a realist, so I’m not holding my breath.

Oh, and there is a bit of banter in our circle. At our last session, I mentioned that I’d heard that Germans call the Irish "the Zen People" because Irish folk don’t think in a linear way. I asked our piper, who is from Ireland originally, if that was true. He said, "The Sin People? Maybe…."

As a regular Ceili dancer, I have had idiots Shriek in my ear for no good reason. If they do, I shriek back at the first opportunity. And in their ear. If they ask why, I say "You started it!" There is one occasion where Hoots, Shriek and the like are acceptable - when you are starting to gallop down a longways set and you need to warn some careless dancer to GET OUT OF THE WAY!
But hooting and hollering in a session? Ask them politely if they suffer from Tourettes and if they say yes, you might consider tolerating them.

Damn these people who act like they’re at some sort of get drunk and dance party just because they’re in a pub getting drunk and people are playing get drunk and dance party music.

KFG

Posted by .

Don’t despair, KFG. There’s still country/western music, and punk rock, and… professional wrestling…. ;>}

At sessions where we all know eachother pretty well, sometimes someone will holler quietly when a good set change is made or a tune really gets going, but otherwise we just play our tunes and have out jokes and banter. And as we don’t play in a pub usually, we’re not usually drunk.