Custom-buillt flight cases

Custom-buillt flight cases

Following on from the Ryanair thread, does anyone know of UK based custom-built flight case makers for acoustic instruments (I’m aware of Hiscox & SKB)? I’m really interested in those makers that people have had good experience with, and that they’d highly recommend on the basis of value for money and sturdily-made/good quality products.

Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: Custom-buillt flight cases

Of course that should be "built" - before anyone else notices!

Posted by .

Ray Doherty Harp Cases

email: raydoherty@eircom.net
tel (Dublin) 8377191
fax 8377306

He did me a harp case (but I guess you’d know that from the name above!!) and may do others. It was fine - not cheap but then still cheaper than a new harp. Survived Ryanair. What more can you ask for?!

PS I know Dublin isn’t in the UK, before someone points it out!!

Hi - not sure if it’s me you’re asking about "putting it dow" (whatever that means!!).

I phoned through the order to Ray and it arrived at my address in the UK within just four days. Pretty amazing service - so actually I took it as "available in the UK" rather than strictly in the UK. Not sure it matters where stuff is nowadays, as long as it gets to you quickly.

Thanks Mark - worth looking into the costs, although I was thinking more in terms of a shaped flight case - perhaps even a simple "coffin-shaped" case.

Posted by .

Though, having said that - the link you gave does have some shaped cases right enough.

Posted by .

I had a flight case made by a guy in Co. Tyrone for Kevin’s (Ptarmigan junior) Electric Bass & it cost me £110.
You could drive a steamroller over this - & it would flatten it!
But then, be honest, how many steamrollers do you see in the holds of aircraft these days?

Have you tried Calton Cases?
www.caltoncases.co.uk

I haven’t got one, but those I’ve seen are absolutely bombproof. I think they make a number of standard shapes and then customise the insides to suit your particular instrument.
These cases are used by many professional players (see the reference from Dick Gaughan on the website) and I think are viewed as a sort of ‘industry standard’

I think the anti-profanity elves could take on a spell chicking elf too. Then there’d be much less of that frivolous stuff that gets in the way round here.

Thanks Andy - these look very good - and I’ve seen them about a lot right enough. I wonder how heavy they are though - being made of fibreglass…..

However, certainly worthwile finding out more about!

Posted by .

Hi Andy - got a quote back from Calton - very nice, well-made professional cases, but the case was going to cost almost as much as the guitar I’m using just now! Fine and well if I had an expensive Martin, or custom hand-made job or was working as a professional muso, but…..

Posted by .

I have to say I’m not surprised, I got a quote for a banjo case a few months ago and came to the same conclusion. One day, when I have an instrument worth protecting it might be worth the investment.
(and no banjo jokes please!)

I might just cobble a coffin case together myself - it’s just a bit of a pain in the arse to get all the correct materials in my neck of the woods. Now, if anyone knows of an outlet where you can go in and get appropriate flight case hardware off the shelf, with friendly advice too…… I’ve trawled the net in this regard, and come across one or two good sites, but selecting appropriate seals etc, doesn’t seem very straightforward. Anyone got any sensible suggestions?

Posted by .

I second the Pegasus recommendation. The company is great to deal with. Shipping makes them very expensive in the USA but not something you need to worry about.

The ergonomic features of the case make them well worth the money and at least for mandolins, I think they are better than the Calton as there is a little more headstock room.

Thanks lads - I’ll look into that as well, although, they look like they might be a bit pricey.

Posted by .

I think Maplins do flightcase hardware - those big catches and metal corners and stuff…

Very good Gorgash - dead cool !!!

I’ll check out Maplins - thanks Mark.

Posted by .

Have you heard the one about the three Banjos, Paddy English Banjo, Paddy Scottish Banjo & Paddy Irish Banjo? Well…………………… Oh! sorry Andy G, didn’t see your command!!

Eastman makes very durable and quite good-looking fiberglass cases—-the cost runs about half of the price of Calton, sometimes less. Good color selection (always a prime factor in the safety of one’s instrument!)

Thanks dmarie - do you have their URL?

Posted by .

Thanks again dmarie.

Posted by .

Just in case anyone is still looking at this thread, I contacted Pegasus cases for a quotation - very good quality, but outwith my budget for the guitar I’m using presently. Here are excerpts from the messages/replies:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it’s too dear for a Baby Taylor - looking at your website, and the quality of cases there, I suspected that might be the case. The guitar did come with a sort of a hard case - but no where near robust enough to go into an aircraft hold. You might think, "why not take such a small instrument as hand-baggage?" - however, Ryanair is the problem here - you can never be guaranteed as to how strictly they’ll apply their specifications regarding the dimensions of cabin luggage. If you can be bothered, here’s a link to a discussion on thesession.org which may throw some light on the problem: -

https://thesession.org/discussions/7810

Regards

Ron

Interesting stuff Ron - it’s true to say that the cheaper you go with flying the less likely it’s going to be straightforward for special luggage items. I fly a lot over the Atlantic and always take my mandolin with me, which is fine in the hold except that they don’t really make me check it until I join the mainland connections when it becomes a different story.
I bought a PRS guitar in North Carolina last year and brought it back in a Ritter gigbag and they allowed it into the airplane but I "faced" them with it, asking them whether it was cool for it inside and it was. We actually brought a Strat back too - good bags, the Ritter ones. They just didn’t seem to notice them for some reason until I mentioned it.
The best method for a slightly cheaper case is to buy a good quality case cover to hold the whole thing together and to just prepare the instrument to not be too stressed inside the case - string tension etc. The nut can break real easily if it’s submitted to the forces involved in a whiplash shock. A proper pad under the headstock and another one above it to fill the space where things might feel like moving.
I use Small Dog case covers for all my cases even though the cases are pretty tough. Hardware can break off and a good cover can keep the whole thing together, as well as helping keep temperature from changing too fast inside the case which can be problematic.
I’ve been a little long-winded just in case you want to submit this to the discussion group.

All the best
Sam.

Posted by .

Hello Ron.

Maybe checkout Quentor Cases in Norwich. They make some of the most advanced flight cases around. Especially suitable for flying, they are constructed by bonding impact-absorbing, lightweight, honeycomb panels into a really strong aluminium frame. They do the internal foam protection also. Not as expensive as you might expect. www.quentor.com

Thanks very much antonet.

Posted by .

Again, just in case anyone looks back at this thread, I requested and was given a quotation for a flight case from Quentor,unfortunately their cases are also very expensive - to the point they were more costly than the value of the instrument they were required for. Now, I’m NOT critisizing any of the companies whose cases I’ve been given quotations for, as their products all look to be very well made and fit for purpose - so I guess the bottom line for anyone else looking in to this, is to seriously consider making their own - it’s probably the cost-effective route for the more budget-priced instruments.

Posted by .