Who likes Flogging Molly out there?

Who likes Flogging Molly out there?

I love Flogging Molly so much. There the best Irish rock band in the world(that’s just my opinion). So who out there likes Flogging Molly?

Re: Who likes Flogging Molly out there?

If I could only persuade her to let me tie her to the bed I’d gladly flog her

As my profile states, I like them too 🙂 But I doubt it’s wise to say so out loud on this site, as a lot of traditional players probably look down on the music…

But for the fans of the genre, may I present you this link (given to me by another member from thesession.org, ally_harlow, who -obviously- likes and even plays some folkrock / jigpunk too):

http://www.armydiller.com/celticmusic.shtml

Some very nice bands on that site with links to where you can buy their albums and listen to demos !

Oh, and to people who haven’t heard of Flogging Molly: they’re a popular folkrock band, who are getting a lot of youngsters ‘into the real stuff’ ! For more information about them or demo songs, go to their website: http://www.floggingmolly.com/

Posted by .

"Celtic Rock" is to ITM what Taco Bell™ is to Mexican cuisine. Most folks here at thesession.org seem to prefer the latter.

Flogging Molly got me "into the real stuff" if I may say. I listen to mostly trad nowadays though.

Posted by .

There isn’t anything wrong with Flogging Molly or Taco Bell. Different strokes for different folks. I know lots of folks who’ve been pulled in to traditional music because of bands like Flogging Molly and Nickel Creek. To each their own.

I for one *do* enjoy Mexican food. We’re lucky to have a family here in Helena from Melaque, Mexico, and they run a terrific homestyle restaurant. But I’ve also been known to grab an $0.89 bean burrito from Taco Hell when I’m in the mood.

We just got back from seeing Green Day in Denver last Monday. What a show! Mr. Armstrong is one hell of an entertainer, sort of the Sinatra of punk, which is not the first thing I would’ve thought when my son put American Idiot (great album) on the car’s cd player last spring. Jimmy Eat World opened for them, and we enjoyed every second of the whole 4-hour concert.

I listen to a lot of what most people would call pure drop Irish trad, but in other moods, I listen to a wide variety of stuff. It’s possible to like both Martin Rochford and Flogging Molly, for different reasons.

Posted .

Tis. You know what other band is good? The Real McKenzies I am listening to them right now they are Scottish Punk but are pretty awesome.

Posted by .

I listen to Flogging Molly as well as trad, but I can’t say I prefer one over the other, it really just depends on my mood to which I feel like listening to. I think that it’s a good thing because it does introduce people to celtic music and seems to get some people started playing trad too, and that’s always a good thing.

Musicfan, I never said there was anything "wrong" with Celtic Rock"; you read that into it. What I was saying is "Celtic Rock" features the Irish melodies served up with the accoutrements that pop music offers in the same way that Taco Bell™ serves up Mexican style food complete with drive-thru neon eating stations and corporate logos that we expect from fast-food establishments. You get the ethnic-like food with all of the colorful plastic decor and packaging. "Celtic Rock" is in the same way presented with mainstream sounding electric guitars and drums; the meat & potatoes of pop music that makes it palatable.

Unlike Will, I never go to Taco Bell™ for any meal – but that’s my choice. If I’m hankering for Mexican food — I head for the Mission District. I’m the same way about the music I like. I will usually seek out the roots music of whatever genre I’m attracted to. That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with fusion/rock projects – I just find it to be boring in most cases… but not all.

Case in point; when artists are well founded and highly accomplished in the traditions they’re fusing the results can be very exciting and entertaining. Lunasa is a perfect example of that. But to me Flogging Molly is just a guitar band with “Celtic” affectations. I don’t care for guitar bands much, so why would I like one with a “Celtic” theme? Nothing wrong with that… right?

Actually, if I’m hankering for Mexican food, I usually make it myself. Same with music, regardless of the genre.

Posted .

There are too many genres out there, Will. I used to have a music room where I kept my piano. The room collected a lot of instruments over the years. Besides concertina and flute (and piano) I had a harp and hammered dulcimer. Then for some other genres I had a dumbek, mizmar (zurna) mijwiz, nay, bendir, tar, def, tabla balady, kalimba, crumhorn, recorders, zamponia, bombo, conga, kena, ukulele, buzuk, and a variety of shakey egg type things from various corners of the Earth. One day I looked at the lot and realized that I wouldn’t live long enough to learn any of them the way I wanted to, so I whittled it down to one genre and 2 or three instruments. Now when I want to hear Middle Eastern music I go and listen to the experts.

I’m very lucky to be living in an area where I have access to great concerts in just about any genre. There are also versions that are packaged in the same way "Celtic Rock" is, but I prefer to seek out the roots versions of whatever it is. Occasionally someone will have a fusion project that I’ll find interesting, but like Lunasa; it usually starts with people who are well-founded virtuosos in whatever genre they’re drawing from.

Food

And with food as well, why would I try to make ethnic food myself if there’s great restraunts all around featuring cuisine from every corner of the globe? I love to cook, and often do — but there are so many different food cultures I can visit in this city. It’s futile to attempt making it all myself.

Jack, you raking connoisseur, you.

Posted .

Well, I don’t personally go to Taco Bell myself. If I want traditional Mexican food I just go home. Living in South Texas means that everyone knows how to make traditional Mexican food. Neither do I listen to Flogging Molly, rock bands to give me a headache. I didn’t mean to say that you said they were wrong, TPB, more just trying to keep it from degenerating into the whole they’re bad thing. I prefer the "pure" music.

flogging molly are awesome, sure they’re not trad, but they’re not trying to be or claiming to be, they’re trying to be flogging molly and they do it bl**dy well I reckon, lets judge them on their own terms rather than comparing them to other stuff… flogging molly, we love you

That’s not the issue, flute jen. There’s nothing wrong with FM or anyone who enjoys Celtic Rock, and no one is judging them really. The question is what do they have to do with Irish traditional music and sessions? This website is about those things and not about Celtic Rock as far as I understand. It’s like going to a message board about U2 and starting threads about ITM just because they’re from Ireland.

I don’t think that one post asking if anyone likes FM will hurt the site. It’s interesting to see how many people here do listen to them, or not by the lack of response. Just as it would be interesting to see how many of U2’s fans were also fans of traditional music. As for comparing them, of course we will, we’re musicians and that’s what we do.

"I don’t think that one post asking if anyone likes FM will hurt the site."

True, so why do you bring it up?

I didn’t bring it up. I’ve been defending them from the start. No, they aren’t my cup of tea, but I’m not the one who’s made comments that the thread doesn’t belong here. That was you, in case you had forgotten. I don’ really care one way or another.

Though I never claimed it would "hurt" this website, I do think it’s out of context for the reasons I already stated. I’ve never heard anyone at a session say, "Hey, let’s play those Flogging Molly tunes." or "Wow, isn’t Flogging Molly a great trad band?" or any such thing. Go ahead and talk about it though if you want, I’m just offering my observation.

Ahh, Flogging Molly. Well, I’ll say that I’m a fan. And yes, interestingly enough, there is no way I would have discovered trad music without them. I’m also <i>in</i> a Celtic folk-punk band (though we do mostly folk music), so I’m slightly biased.

Though there’s no subsitute for the traditional!

Posted by .

Haha, so how was I supposed to know html tags don’t work on here?

Posted by .

Seems to me this is a thread intended to appeal to people who enjoy Flogging Molly’s music. It’s at least as relevant to this site as what type of sandwiches musicians eat, what colors they imagine for different keys, or the alleged talents of Daniel O’Donnell.

Hey Jack, howzabout we give Armand’s kid brother a break and let him and his friends here rave about the Irish-tinged music they enjoy. It’s just one little thread—easy enough to bypass if FM isn’t your flavor.

Posted .

Yea, I suppose you’re right, Will. I didn’t realize I was talking to a kid… sorry fellas. I got a little carried away with my fast-food allegory I guess.

I listened to the link to Flogging Molly, and rather enjoyed it.

Errm, they remind me ever so slightly of a band knocking around some 20 years ago…The Proles? The Pogos?…ah yes! The Pogues.

Wonder what happened to them, eh?

I have the pleasure of playing regularly with the Flogging Molly fan who started this thread, and his older brother. I am pleased to report that, despite their young age, both of them are quickly surpassing me in their ability to play ITM. While these two individuals are not a large enough sample to draw statistically valid conclusions, I can report that, in this case, love of Celtic Rock bands and loving/playing music of a more traditional vein are not mutually exclusive. If the Celt Rock can bring people like this into The Music, then rock on!

PS I envy you folks down south and out west. Good Mexican food is rather thin on the ground here in RI.

Pretty much the same up here in NJ for Mex food. I had to report that. Not many sessions here either :(

Posted by .

Well said Al. I’m one of those persons myself. Although I’m not anywhere near Armand or his brother’s level (they’re like my idols ! :p ), I do enjoy ITM at least as much as the rock variant. It’s not because we *discovered* the music through celtic rock/punk, that we can’t see the difference between it and the traditional stuff played at sessions, or consider the stuff played in folkrock as ‘the way it should be played’… It’s just something else. Imo, the rock variant is a perfect medium to introduce the unknown irish trad music to a broad public, and why would anyone be against that ? The more people who get into the music, the more sessions, performances, recordings, ‘pioneers’,…

As long as the rock (punk, metal), doesn’t intervene with the traditional stuff, I don’t think anyone can have any objections ? It saddens me, however, that you (T.P.B.) think this kind of thread doesn’t belong here. You are free to ignore the topic, even the whole genre. But I don’t see how this has less to do with ITM than many other topics, as mentioned above by Will. I don’t like the allegory with Taco Bell either… It would rather be comparing for instance the greek cuisine with the belgian one or something - it’s just two different things, one isn’t inferior to the other. Ok - the tunes aren’t the most complex ones, the playing will be inferior to that of trad musicians, the rhythm isn’t what it’s supposed to be… but that’s not the *intention* of the rock/punk/metal variant anyway !

I could go on and on about the subject - it’s also something I’ve regularly discussed with my whistle teacher, for instance, whose opinion it is that ‘before one can/should play celtic rock, one should first be able to know/play the real thing perfectly and through and through’. I disagree there, to certain degree: even though certain of those folkrock bands don’t have excellent musicians who play perfectly ornamented tunes, they still achieve *their goal*: entertain crowds and get them to dance to jigs and reels; often without knowing it. The music might not appeal (and seam inferior) to people who play at a much higher level, but if it does what it’s supposed to do, I don’t see the problem ? But as I said, I could go on and on about it… I’ll quit boring you people ;p

Posted by .

"t saddens me, however, that you (T.P.B.) think this kind of thread doesn’t belong here."

That makes you sad? Even though I thought Celtic Rock was out of context with this site, it didn’t depress me. Maybe you should talk to someone about this.

"I don’t like the allegory with Taco Bell either… It would rather be comparing for instance the greek cuisine with the belgian one or something - it’s just two different things, one isn’t inferior to the other."

I just used the Taco Bell allegory because it worked to get my point across. If there was a Greek or Belgian fast food restaurant every one was familiar with that would have worked just as well. But it’s not about the ethnicity of the food — it’s about the packaging.

On the subject of what someone should know about the music they intend to "fuse"; I guess I’m in agreement with your teacher on that one. Sure it’s easy to get people dancing to reels and jigs without them knowing it, but the one’s that do know about it are usually headed for the door .

What I like about many punk bands is the raw edge of their sound and energy. The same quality attracted me years ago to the Rolling Stones (over the Beatles’ smoother sound), and then to Irish trad players like Junior Crehan and Conal O’Grada.

Music isn’t about virtuosity or technical mastery. It’s about expression. I’m glad there’s room for expression of the sort that FM and the Pogues put out there.

Posted .

I think that the fusion of different kinds of music is healthy for not only the development of trad music, but national identity as well. Many of you have said that FM got you into trad, but through my partner listening to other bands, such as the dropkick murphys, an ‘irish’ punk band from boston, he started to more strongly associate himself with his irish heritage and now he’s an Aussie living in Ireland studying the Bodhran, a big leap from a free jazz/punk rock musician. These fusions are something that us young people can readily associate with and they drew me back into the folk scene after years of neglect… also ‘Salty Dog’ on Swagger helped me pick up the kesh and unlike many people at my session, i love it, because it’s association with FM. Therefore, far from being irrelevant to this site, something which inspires Irish music and identification with Irish culture, whilst not taking a commonly accepted form, should be highly valued for its contribution to the genre.
That’s my two cents worth :P

Jack’s denegration of Flogging Molly and fusion punk should not be mistaken for a good reason to agree with him. After playing Blink 182, Green Day, Jimmy Eat World, Vendetta Red, and The Used on guitar with my 16 year old, I honestly can’t find any lack of skill, musical talent and sophistication, or imagination in their music. They all use complex rhythms, chord structures, harmonies, and intricate melody lines. Their music is not "easy" to play, but it is highly rewarding. The lyric themes are also intelligent and varied, ranging from laments on suicide to political satire and questioning authority. Not much different from trad songs, come to think of it. I suspect punk sounds like "fast food" to some people for the same reason Irish trad "all sounds the same" to other people—lack of a deeper listening to the music.

Posted .

totally agree Will, it’s easy to damn what you don’t understand.

Hey Will, I didn’t know Green Day was a Celtic Rock band until now, thanks for straightening me out. And thanks jen for letting me know what I don’t understand.

I can’t believe the contortions you both have gone through to dismiss my point. Personally, I like Green Day, I just hope they never decide to play Celtic Rock. I also like good pop music bands, but like anyone else, I have my own tastes and opinions. I haven’t claimed that any of you don’t understand what you’re talking to make my point, so I don’t see why you would choose to stoop to such a thing. I simply stated my personal opinion of FM, Celtic Rock in general and the reason I don’t care for them. I also pointed out that this is a message board about ITM and not Celtic Rock… is that clear now?

You’re the master contortionist, Jack.

Posted .

Phantom Button

"Sure it’s easy to get people dancing to reels and jigs without them knowing it, but the one’s that do know about it are usually headed for the door"

Actually, I know a bit about it (more than some, a lot less than others), and I’M usually headed for the pit in front of the stage to crowd-surf.

Celtic Rock: Not ITM… but it is (or can be, at least) FUN.

Alright… now back to the business as usual on this board… Slagging Guitarist!! 😀

Posted by .

Schy

I did say "usually headed for the door," the unusual ones head for the dance pit I guess. 😉