Backing

Backing

Just returned from a great session. John Hewitt, obviously. Really moving fun music and great craic.With one reservation. So, I started thinking about what constitutes good accompaniment. As someone who started out backing but now play tunes, I wonder if these reflections would be helpful.

It might be better if accompanists:

1. Play in tune
2. Play in the right key
3. Play in the right rhythym
4. Play the right chords
5. Play the tunes they know
6. Don’t play the tunes they don’t know
7. Don’t try to tune before during and after tunes.
8. When you do tune, do it correctly
9. Don’t start tunes. Of if you do, don’t pull odd faces when you lose control because you haven’t practised enough.
10 See number 1

Posted by .

Re: Backing

I’m in agreement with most of that Pól, except 6 & 7.

6. A good accompaniest should be able to slot in pretty damned quick with an unfamiliar tune, unless it’s got some odd turns or key-changes in it.

7. when exactly are you supposed to tune?

Posted by .

Many amateur guitarists I have played with seem to have the most difficulty in learning that just because you have six strings you don’t have to play all of them. The best accompanists are those who have learned to keep a steady stream of root notes coming and a very spare rhythm. Especially they should learn to leave out as many thirds as they can, and not start playing more loudly when the rhythm gets more complex in a tune.

All these are technically important but more than that is the ability to not play when you need to be listening to learn where the tune is going.

Most of Pól’s commandments seem very true, except the 7th one, which is unclear to me (if you mean "just for fiddler’s sake get in tune once and well, and don’t keep tuning non-stop", then I agree; if you mean "don’t ever try to tune", it’s a bit preposterous).

As to the 6th, I guess you meant "tunes they don’t recognize as familiar", not "tunes they didn’t master" - this is where Ron is right. Still, Ron, I’d avoid backing totally unfamiliar tunes just because of what you wrote - there might be an odd turn. In such cases I sit silently at least through the first round to listen to it and find out if there are no catches.

I would add two more commandments. Instead of wasting commandment 10 on repetition (I know, it’s Irish dance music - there must be repetitions!), I’d add:

10. Don’t strive to back every set and every tune in every set;

and, most importantly

11. Listen.as you play.

Fair play to you JaneK - I’d be more or less in agreement with you - although, you will "get off" with things more for point 6. if missing out 3rds - as muddflat points out.

Generally, overall, less is best.

Posted by .

I love muddflat’s comment "just because you have six strings you don’t have to play all of them" Hoorah!!
I absolutely loath that thrashing, frustrated ‘Rock Star’ style!

Best guy on a Guitar around here is probably Ciaran Kelly - a Box player!
The fact that he knows every tune inside out probaly doesn’t hurt.
Anyway, when playing the Guitar, he just dances lightly around a few strings, making just the right sounds & at just the right volume to tuck in - right ‘behind’ the melody.
Taste & Subtlety are his middle names.
However, when he’s on the Box it’s a ‘whole different kettle of fish’ & he is a master at leading a session.
(That’s a pint o’ Red Diesel’ yer due me Cptn!)

3 - right rhythm? Well Duh, of course we all have to be playing ‘together’ but I’m always afraid to hear Guitar players start to talk about rhythm, cause It makes me think of the dreaded thrashers.
I’d prefer it if we tried to kept the percussive element out of guitar talk. Surely the bottom line is we can have a great session without a guitar - we don’t need it to keep the rest of us playing in time. Where it comes into it’s own is when it is laying out those lovely harmonic carpets for the melody instruments to dance on. I think we should talk of it more as a harmonic instrument than a percussive one.

4 - bit like the last one. Isn’t it encouraging the guitar player to thrash when you talk of Chords. Couldn’t it be described as more of an instrument that you play harmonic lines on? Keeping chords out of the conversation altogether?

I’m OK with 5 & 6. Nothing wrong with just LISTENING. We should ‘all’ do more of that.

7 Personally I don’t have a problem with anyone tuning. What I do have a problem with is folk never tuning, being out of tune all night & just not caring! Give me the habitual tuner every time. Just shows they care!
Hey, if I hear one of my Fiddle strings is out, I’m bloody sure I’ll stop in the middle of a tune to fix it, so why shouldn’t they?

9 - What? You mean your sitting there beside Arty & as he starts to play a tune you say "Hey boy, No guitar tunes at this session!"?

Yeah, I like No 11. We should all be doing more of that too!

P.S. What do I know, you might say - I don’t even play the guitar.
But then that’s a bit like folk saying to me, up here in Norn Iron, "Hey boy, don’t talk about our Politics, it’s got nothing to do with you, your just a blow in!"
Wellexcuse me but I’ve been living here & working here & rearing my family here for the past 14 years so I think local politics are as much my business as anyone elses, thank you very much.
Likewise, I’m in sessions with Guitar players every week, so I’m entitled to stick in my twopence worth. What I say might be, and probably is, a lot of SH*TE, but I do have a right to say it.
If you disagree - outside! - NOW……………………..

As a guitar player who has come the long way round to playing sessions and Irish/Scottish stuff (mainly on mandolin and whistle) I’d just like to emphasise a sometimes overlooked fact: Good back-up requires an intimate knowledge of the tunes being played. I play a lot of fingerstyle and flatpicking, but good rhythm back-up is the biggest challenge to do well. It’s always obvious when a guitar player doesn’t know the tune being played. There’s nothing worse that aimless strummers trying to learn the tunes at a session. I have been guilty of it myself, but I’ve learned the lesson…

Posted by .

Most of the time when melody players complain about backers they don’t know what the fack they’re talking about and I wish they’d just shut up.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with backers in general Pol, perhaps if you persevered with backing yourself, instead of taking what you percieve to be the high ground of fiddle playing, you might realise by now that backers, much the same as fiddlers, come in all forms and standards. If someone was to start a thread listing "tips for fiddlers" how would you like it? The first rule would be …..Stay away from sessions if you can’t accept that everyone is’nt as perfect as you……

Now, I don’t think Pól desreves that at all - I perfectly understand what he’s going on about - I’ve seen many sessions ruined - and it’s usually the result of bad accompaniment…..

Posted by .

Hey kiddies, can we try and keep this constructive?

Posted by .

Thanks for your comments. Helpful and interesting as always.

Should have been clearer about 6. What i was getting at was the "dang! (microtone up or down) dang! (microtone up or down) etc, that guitarists and backers do so often.

In relation to 7 thanks to Ron P and Janek. Often backers think they know the tune but in fact don’t. What results is a samey sounding boring noise. Backers will play the same (wrong) chord progression continually. This kills a session.

Janeks comment is really true. There is something really lovely about great accompaniment. And then a break to hear the music unaccompanied. And then for the accompaniment to come back in. Really profound and moving

And ‘Backer’ I love good accompaniment. A good backer is in a unique position to colour and shape the sound of a session. When it is done well it is bliss.

And while we are on the subject I would be quite interested to hear the comments of backers in relation to fiddle players. Someone should start that thread

Posted by .

Sorry,

got 6 and 7 the wrong way round.

Could have happened to Moses. Or God.

Posted by .

Hey Dow, if you don’t like melody players, & their opinions, then perhaps you should start your own - ‘Guitar Only’ - session!

Honest cammy, I am trying to be constructive!

Hi Pól - I wouldn’t be prepared to start a thread re the relationship between backers and fiddle players, as personally I feel that the backer should really be "fitting in" with the melody instrument - NOT the other way round. So really there’s not much more to say! I’ve certainly rarely had issue to critisize a melody player - and probably wouldn’t do so anyway. I’d generally give the benefit of the doubt, in case it’s someone fairly novice. Although, I think it’d be a bit like the tail wagging the dog, were I to criticize a melody player in a session. I simply wouldn’t do it…….

Hope you find that interesting - I suspect it’ll strike a chord with you - knowing that you changed over to mainly melody playing from backing. I am also a closet fiddle player - just wish I could get the bloody thing to fly properly!

Posted by .

Number 9-I take it that’s a joke?

Surely it’s a good thing if folk want to try and start a tune on a "backing" instrument and they should be encouraged IMHO.

Ptarmigan, I am a melody player. I am also a backer, so I know the smell of melody-player-bullsh*t well. There’s nothing constructive about this thread at all, Cammy, right form the outset. It’s just a chance for melody players to lash out at backers randomly, regardless of their ability, and regardless of the fact that they themselves clearly don’t know what the fack they’re talking about.

Put it this way: a melody player with crap rhythm is regarded as being "not a very good player". A backer with crap rhythm is regarded as "not being able to play". Hear the difference there? Melody players get away with a lot, but they’re never happy to cut backers any slack while they’re learning. Top tip from Dow, stop criticising the backers and take a look at your own playing. Not perfect is it? Go and do some practice - it’s a lot more constructive.

Sounds like your getting a bit hot under the collar there Doh, me old mucker! "Me thinks he doth protesteth too much"! You know what they say - "Truth always hurts!" Perhaps we touched your ‘achilles heel’? There there Doh, don’t worry, wur no a’ perfect!

How the feck could you be taking this personally anyway? Have any of us ever heard you thrashing thon stratocaster you take to your session? I dinna think so. So lighten up there boyo - we’re all entitled to an opinion - well at least in this country we are!

Didn’t hear you screaming in sympathetic agony over recent Bodhran slagging, or condemnation of the Cajon!

Anyone who can’t stand the heat, should get oota da kitchen!

But don’t go Doh - we’d miss you!

One thing is for sure Doh. This is a heck of a lot more interesting, constructive & meaningful than a thread about ‘SAND-WITCHES’!

Which reminds me, ‘Halloween’ is coming up soon - must get me costume out for GYZIN (sp) ???

Hey Ron P how do you spell that old Scots word for what folk in the Americas call ‘Trick or Treating’?

Oh, the cat’s out the bag now.

Who’s going to throw in the first Halloween thread I wonder?

But Ptarmigan you’re the worst offender!

You said: "I’d prefer it if we tried to kept the percussive element out of guitar talk. Surely the bottom line is we can have a great session without a guitar - we don’t need it to keep the rest of us playing in time. Where it comes into it’s own is when it is laying out those lovely harmonic carpets for the melody instruments to dance on. I think we should talk of it more as a harmonic instrument than a percussive one."

…which is just bloody silly. Anyone who knows anything about playing backup in sessions knows that it’s all about rhythm. The chords are a secondary thing because there are scads of possibilities for the notes you actually play. But if you ain’t got rhythm you’re going to muck up the whole session. Now, if one of the (say) 3 fiddlers in your session doesn’t have good rhythm, it might be a bit annoying but it’s not going to muck up the whole session is it? And the bit where you said "we don’t need it to keep the rest of us playing in time", unfortunately for a lot of sessions that’s untrue. This is because a lot of arrogant melody players don’t bother improving their rhythm. They’re happy to play behind other people and let the sound become a big mushy bleeaargh. The poor guitarist has to find a line of best fit and make sense of the bleeaargh as best they can, only to find that the melody players turn round and blame them for their own failings.

Garn………….

guising

Posted by .

Dow - you’re correct re your line of best fit comment. However, my approach in such situations is more likely to be to drop out & let the mish-mash sort itself out. Anyway, such things usually are a symptom of large sessions, possibly also combined with bad acoustics & a noisy pub. Personally, I generally try to avoid these large sessions.

Posted by .

Dick, Kenny - isn’t there also "hunt the gowk"?

Posted by .

I try and avoid these large sessions also because that mishmash sound annoys me, but what annoys me more is that those same people will use any excuse to blame backers for their own incompetence if they can’t sort out their own mishmash.

Most of the points in the original post also apply to melody players, and the ones that don’t are simply stupid and ill-thought-out, like "don’t start tunes", and "play the right chords" (what "right" chords?!)

Oh it is ever so annoying, isn’t it just Dow. The best thing to do is to throw yourself on the ground and kick and scream..

Posted by .

No, the best thing to do is stop moaning about backers, and shut up and go and do some practice and concentrate on enjoying the music and playing to the best of your ability.

Cammy, I know you’d love to think that you’re steering this thread in a sensible, constructive direction, but with comments like your last one, and calling us "kiddies", I’d hardly say you’re going the right way about it. You’ve already made a point about intimate knowledge of the tunes. Why not expand on it?

And before you point the finger, I’ve never claimed to be sensible and constructive. I’ve only ever admitted to being a wind-up merchant 🙂

"In BRITAIN, there are lots of backers. These are the people who are too stupid to learn the tunes…"

"Oooh, I can’t believe you just said that……"

Anyway I’m not a backer anymore because I swapped my guitar for a Westlife CD.

Anyway I ain’t even got no guitar cuz I *burrrnt* it, cuz I don’t even *need* it.

Hi Dow, again I know what you’re saying re the backers getting the blame when the timing in the session, diverges, shall we say. However, I’d still maintain that for the most part, a lot of backers get it in the neck for very good reason - be it a poor sense of rythm, playing way too loudly, or using inappropriate (i.e. wrong) harmonic accompaniment .

Posted by .

Backing 1 What the wind does in the opposite direction to veering in the R4 Shipping forecast

Backing 2 What rich people did for O’Carolan though these days it is sponsoring, or even being a patron of the Arts

Backing as in this thread? I would have to agree that not every guitarist/bouzoukiist/mandolinist who does not know the melody and has a ‘go’ not caring/worrying about the rhythm or melodic structure can seriously wreck a session.

There are many fantastic styles of accompaniment, and I’m lucky to have had some wonderful people play with me, and for me. However, like many of the views expressed above, there have been many who have played along and "known" a tune because it’s in G, say, and totally ruined it because they didn’t listen to what it was doing, or where it was going. There’s no excuse for that.

Music IS about listening

And let’s be fair about the bodhrans. I know I’ve submitted my share of jokes, but the same applies; too many have ruined a session because they think they can play, accompany. And more people remember the bad bits than the good bits. A bit of listening helps, even when it comes to a rhythmic accompaniment.

Here’s abeautiful story about courtesy. When I didn’t know him from Adam, this huge man came up to me in Listowel and asked if he could play along. Of course was my reply, and he tucked in behind me and Jimmy McHugh; it was so lovely, gentle and THERE!
Only afterwards did I find out it was Gino Lupari! He cared and cares so much about music.

Brianx

Well said Brian - especially about the listening bit - the singularly most important thing about ANY music - but, surprisingly, the thing that a lot of people forget to do!

Posted by .

Bearing in mind the size of the man, would you even have considered saying no to him?

"guising" - thanks Kenny

Ron, as far as I know ‘hunt the gowk’ is more to do with April 1st.
As I remember it, if you try to catch someone out with an April fool trick, joke or prank - ‘after’ mid-day, then:
"Hunt the Gowk’s up a tree
Your a fool as well as me"
- Ring any bells?

"Anyone who knows anything about playing backup in sessions knows that it’s all about rhythm." Well Doh, in my humble opinion I think that’s pure nonsense. I don’t believe for one minute that Guitar playing is ‘ALL’ about rhythm! If that were true, then all the Guitar players could save themselves a lot of money by buying a Bodhran instead!

It is patently clear that everyone involved in playing music at a session must keep good time, that should go without saying. I’m sure there are a lot of Guitar, Bouzouki, Mandola & Cittern players out there who would be very offended by your notion that those instruments only job is to ‘provide rhythm’!

You certainly seem to be taking this whole thread very seriously, I’m sure Pol didn’t post this as part of some Thesis. It was just a few ideas thrown up to see how we all thought on the subject. It’s not like thay were going to become LAW - for crying out loud!

"don’t start tunes" - well obviously that applies to anyone who isn’t well able to finish what they start, whatever instrument they play!

"stop moaning about backers" - but, surely that’s why we are all here isn’t it, to have a good old moan about this an’ that - after the need to learn new tunes. If this place ever starts taking itself too seriously, I for one will be - ‘on my bike’!

Oh - time for Lunch - Bye bye…………………………….

OH MY SO GOD, I couldn’t disagree with you MORE! Wash your mouth out with soap and water! Of course backing’s all about rhythm, and I don’t mean just keeping in time either.

NA Dow - OK, rhythm’s part of it, but it certainly ain’t all of it. Personally, a lot of the time I just tickle the strings, other times I let rip - but it really all depends who’s playing in the session and their individual approach to the music. As Brian pointed out above, it’s all to do with listening - and I would add to that, reacting appropriately and tastefully.

Posted by .

No, but it really is though. Why is it that you can drone on a single note in the right rhythm and it sounds good, but you can come up with the coolest chords in the whole wide world and if it’s in the wrong rhythm it sounds sh*t? It’s because it’s all about rhythm. That’s the whole point of the tunes. It’s dance music, not musical masturbation.

I think, on the whole, I have to agree Dow on this one. Though I’d like to be a little more specific and say it’s about phrasing (it’s really the same thing, but phrasing conjures up a more flexible measured accenting approach as opposed to the mechanical reproduction of a accurate segmentations of time - like Arty does).

And I agree that it is very very wrong that melody players often get away with dodgy phrasing when strummers are chastised for it.

You quite often here melody players with all the notes no problem, but just don’t have the music. And I’m not talking about the ones who are all over the place, I’m talking about the ones who play like they’ve learned tunes off their abc midi translators.

Yes, we know the tune is king, but a good deal of the tune is the phrasing. Infact, all a tune really is is the turns and the phrasing. And if you are backing the tune, all you really have is the phrasing. So, Dow, you are right.

Posted .

Gosh! I think I’ll just leave my guitar at home. Wouldn’t want to hit a bad note, would I?

OK, we agree on some points and disagree on others (although in some of these we’re actually in agreement on, when you think about it…..). Anyway - I’m away to partake & enjoy some craic elsewhere………………..

Posted by .

9: Don’t start tunes? Excuse me but in some of the less organized sessions I attend where we are looking for tunes that everyone knows, I often will start or initiate a tune playing the melody and switch to backing because I think it adds more to the sound.

Yeah, that’s daft to say a strummer shouldn’t start tunes. And good strummers often start tunes just by laying down a good rhythm and it’s great fun to find a tune that fits it.

Posted .

Probably the hardest thing for backers to get is useful constructive criticism. Most discussions are focused on the bad things that wannabe backers have done at sessions. One of the problems is that what one person loves in backing is another person’s nightmare. Of course there is some just plain bad backing out there and sometimes it falls down primarily becuse of it’s rhythm/beat or the lack of it. This refers to the beat in relation to the phrasing as MG has said.
There is no doubt that in terms of solo accompaniment (ie accompanying a soloist) the melodist/soloist will have very specific requirements and some are better than others at conveying that. The main advantage of these discussions is to give melodists an idea of what to look for or ask for and how to talk about it. Phrases like "give the tune room to breathe" are apt and colorful but pretty hard to understand or at the other end of the spectrum is the melodist who just wants a metronome ticking in the background. Like do you want my Steve Cooney impersonation or my Dennis Cahill impersonation 🙂
In the Session environment it is quite different. Even Dennis Cahill plays differently in a session. I think the first guitarists in sessions were all singers and accompanying the tunes gave them somthing to do between doing the odd song. Their ability on the guitar was often not nearly as good as their voice as many were primarily singers. Now there are more and more guitarists who came into the music from other avenues already technically capable and some have learned the tunes better than others - but this has raised the bar a little for guitar accompaniment.

Oh and BTW if someone starts a tune which I happen to know but no-one else in the session knows, I would be happy to join in (Flatpicking). Then if others join in I would drop back to accomapiment. I don’t think most people have a problem with that.

I hear ye Donough. The session is of course a social situation like any other, and there are a lot of other challenges to be met than the merely musical. The striving egos, the insecure wannabes, the show-offs, the drunkards, the virtuosos and the duffers, all trying to find their place and get along, or not as the case may be. Musical ability and sensitivity though are not neccessarily the main issues though. If only we were all hilarious wind-up merchants like Dow, I’m sure we’d all get along just fine…

Posted by .

Let me state the radical position that both rhythm and harmony are important elements to accompaniment. That rhythm and harmony can be simple, but it must complement the tune. In the end, accompaniment comes down to enhancing the tune, providing a rhythmic and harmonic foundation that complements the melody.
I think the problem with accompaniment is that the learning curve appears to be low, but paridoxically, while there is almost always room for one more tune player, there are limits on how many accompanists can be present before they begin burdening, rather than enhancing, the session.
There are a lot more guitarists and bodhranists out there than there are good accompanists, unfortunately—which leads to the length of threads like this one.

Hello again - just needed a breath of fresh air - and boy, it’s pretty fresh here today!

Thanks Al Brown for another breath of fresh air. It’s sort of been said already, between the lines though. One thing I didn’t say, was that rhthym isn’tt important - it is, and as Al says - so is harmony.

Posted by .

Isn’t Rhythm a funny word really prone to mispelling. I really have to think about it and beat it around before I type it.
"Rhyhthmh" or the Lo-H version: rithum
Anyway the origin for those interested:
"rhythmos" (Greek) - measured flow or movement,
Or
Latin: "rhythmus" - movement in time.

Naw - it’s quite obviously a Welsh word!

Re: Back to Backing? Nooooooooooooooooo

Blimey, you go off to do a bit o’ work & miss so much on this silly wee thread. I see folk are still coming out with nonsense:

Like Doh’s - "Of course backing’s all about rhythm" - Balloney (sp)(a wee town somewhere between Ballymoney & Ballymena! 🙂)
Well, Doh!, of course rhythm is about rhythm, but no more or less for a backer than any other musician. Imagine if your ‘friendly neighboiurhood’ Piano Accordion or Banjo player had bad rhythm, they would feck-up a sesssion just as fast as any Guitar player who couldn’t keep the beat!

Naw, fraid yer aff yer trolly on that one Doh. That is a slur on any & every good stringed accompany man/woman. They have a lot more to add to any session, concert, recording than simply a beat!

- and I know Ron P regularly just "tickle(s) the strings" - cause I’ve heard his guitar giggling!

Oh yeah Michael - I see your ‘backing’ Doh on this one eh? So now rhythm is the king is it.
He (Doh) says "That’s the whole point of the tunes. It’s dance music - W E L L dat’s fine, but come on, how many of us actually spend much time playing for dancers? Be honest, most of the time it’s for listening. That doesn’t mean we don’t need to all keep perfect time, but that is a shared responsability for us ALL - not just the Guitar, Zouk & Bod players!

The bottom line really is that, I believe, the Guitar is one of ‘the’ most versatile instruments in the world, capable of such variety &, yes you can thrash the ‘sh*t’ out of it like Cooney & other ‘Flemenco’ merchants, but listen to all those wonderful musicians who have the ability to get so much more from the instrument than just a beat. Guys like Bream & Williams in the classical world, certainly would not agree that it is just a ‘Bodhran with strings’ as Doh implies!

When Mr Guitar man joins us for tunes, he has to be more than just Michael’s " metronome ticking in the background"!

Don’t know what Cammy is on about with his - "If only we were all hilarious wind-up merchants like Dow"??? Wrong - he’s just a very SAD, SAD misguided chap - more to be pitied than scolded!

Then Al has to go & spoil everything by being sensible!

So, what have we learned from this we discussion, well…………no, I’d better not! I don’t want to start it all over again!

Let’s just all agree to listen ‘more’ & keep better rhythm.
Oh yes - & stop picking on the Guitar player!! 🙂

- & most of all - let’s stop trying to set up ‘rules’ for others to follow!
After all, we don’t need ‘ANOTHER’ - Ten Commandments!

I was being ever so slightly sarcastic Ptarmi..

Posted by .

Cammy when you call him "Ptarmi" it sounds like a term of endearment and that just doesn’t sit right somehow.
"Ptar" - maybe more acceptable

Ah Ha! The Ptar Road to Sligo’ perhaps?

Hey Donough, I’m not sure I like your tone there! You sayin’ nobody loves me?

Boooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooo

There there Ptar - don’t ruffle your feathers too much. I just worried about Cammy appearing overfamiliar with you.

Oh my goodnessssssssssssss - is this thread still going onnnnn & onnnnn & onnnnnnnnnn.

I think I’ll try to practice some smiley faces. Just ignore me just now for a minute…

🙂 ;-( ;-P 😲 :-0 ;-D 😀 :-C :-Q :-q

Now, how did that go - how many worked? Let’s see:

Posted by .

Like the middle one Ron - the Oh dude! How did you get that one eh? - come on, spill the beans!

I’ll try again:

🙂 🙁 :- 😀 😛 :-L :-S :-X :-B …..

Let’s see:

Posted by .

It’s : - O without the spaces of course. It’s easy to find out how these’re done Dick, you right click your mouse on top of the smiley, and then left click properties.

Posted by .

I wonder, are there more - anyone else help here. This is now the smiley face thread.

Must admit, I got pretty tired banging on a bout that rithim F****! Rythum F****! RHTHOUM F*****! Rhthym stuff!

Posted by .

Here We Go:

:-a :-b :-c :-d :-e :-f :-g :-h :-i :-j :-k :-l :-m :-n :-o :-p :-q :-r :-s :-t :-u :-v :-w :-x :-y :-z

:-A :-B :-C 😀 :-E :-F :-G :-H :-I :-J :-K :-L :-M :-N 😲 😛 :-Q :-R :-S :-T :-U :-V :-W :-X :-Y :-Z

;-a ;-b ;-c ;-d ;-e ;-f ;-g ;-h ;-i ;-j ;-k ;-l ;-m ;-n ;-o ;-p ;-q ;-r ;-s ;-t ;-u ;-v ;-w ;-x ;-y ;-z

;-A ;-B ;-C ;-D ;-E ;-F ;-G ;-H ;-I ;-J ;-K ;-L ;-M ;-N ;-O ;-P ;-Q ;-R ;-S ;-T ;-U ;-V ;-W ;-X ;-Y ;-Z

OK I’ve made a start. Anyone want to carry on?

Or someone could just give us a website adress, where we could find them ALL - before Ron & I go blind!!

Ah Ha found it 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

Sorry, well, practice makes perfect after all!

OK so whose going to start a thread on PRACTICE now?

I think I’m going Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa………………………….

I wonder, is that all there are - anyone know any other ones?

PLEASE HELP USSSSSSSS, PLEASE…………………………..

Posted by .

Ptarmy me old china, I know you think I’m off my trolley, and that may be so. However, the bottom line is, I’m totally right, and evidence for this lies in the fact that Michael Gill agreed with me. If Michael says I’m right, then sorry, I’m right 🙂 Imagine me soaring to giddy heights of moral high ground, from where I can enjoy "looking down on you" (you’re not the only one who can do that you know, although I know how much you enjoy it).

Cammy, if we were all as constructive and sensible as you the world would be a better place.

See I can be sarcy too, as well as arrogant and condescending. I’m only like that on the yella board though, I promise, in "real life" I’d probably run away to the toilets and cry if you spoke to me like that 🙂

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ……..

Hysterical laughter…………

I thought this rhthym thread was finished…….

Tears hair out………

Too late, it’s gone already…….

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH……………………

Pingu, what’s the name of that hospital over the road from you?

🙁

Posted by .

The Maudsley and Royal Bethlem (formerly known as Bedlam). Shall I book a couple of beds for you guys? Padded cells are optional. Medication is on the house.

Please do Pingu - could you also leave a keg of that special guinness that you drink as well - I might need some…..

Posted by .

Oh. But when youse get there don’t give any Special Guinness to that Dow. I hear he suffers from delusions of grandeur. Thinks he’s a Chief Inpector of the Name-Drop Squad of The Session Police Service, or something.

Great! That’ll make everything better. 🙂

Talking of Bedlam, reminds me of a story regarding a company in Aberdeen, called Beldham Packing. I needed to get some rubber sheeting from them (don’t ask - it’s a long story!), and when I phoned them, I managed to mix up the letters and said… "Is that the Bedlam Packing Company there?". The wee mannie on the other end of the line just pished himself laughing, and replied - "Well, it certainly is today".

Posted by .

"in "real life" I’d probably run away to the toilets and cry if you spoke to me like that "

I thought it was because your round was coming up next

Posted by .

*splorf*, Pingu, Pingu, Pingu, what can I say!? Talk about pot calling the kettle black!

Hehehe, it’s my bed time now - I think I’ll chuckle myself to sleep tonight…

YESSSSSSS!

Dow’s gone to bed!

YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WHOOP -DI-DOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Is it the end of this thread yet?…………..😉

Posted by .

Threads like this should not be allowed to go to sleep. There has to be more smiley faces out there to discover
:x :shock: :? :oops:
These one work on another site

Guess not - must be site specific HTML code or something like that

Chuckle himself to sleep? That’s a new word for it…

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the ‘yellow’ water………………….

Will you listen to the total arrogance of the man - "However, the bottom line is, I’m totally right"
Dow, you need to listen to yourself boyo!
It’s as plain as the nose on your face - [Oh, wait a minute, let me have another look……..OK - bad analogy.
Right, it’s as red & blobby & warty as the nose on yer face! 🙂] -that I am the one whose absolutely & totally in the right here.

It doesn’t matter that nobody else here agrees with me, what do they know, they are all regular visitors here, need I say more?

Och & what does Michael know anyway? I don’t care how many pints you bought him to side with you!

I am fully aware that you are "sarcy too, as well as arrogant and condescending" and that these traits you show here, are a mere shadow of their true value in civvy street!

Pongo - The Maudsley and Royal Bethlem (formerly known as Bedlam)
You may, or may not, be interested to know that the Tesco in Stoneybatter, Dublin had a really bad infestation of mice many, many years ago, but word of this leaked out & ever since it has been known locally as - ‘PESTCO’! 🙂

Nice word Pestco - you will notice it rhymes with Dow! What does that tell you?

Dow, so you will - "chuckle myself to sleep tonight…"
So that’s what they call it in your part of the world eh!
Up here it’s a ‘Knuckle Shuffle’, but down your way it’s a ‘Chuckle’ Hmmm…
This information explains a lot! 🙂

Perhaps you should get some of that ‘Rubber Sheeting’ from Ron! He He, Ha Ha, Ho Ho Hummmmmmmmm

Sorry Ron, I just can’t let ‘sleeping Dows Lie’!

Anyone else getting tired of this…so much so I don’t actually NEED to chuckle myself to sleep.

Posted by .

How much rubber sheeting do you need Dow.

Naw…. it can’t be that much - your boasting surely!!!! And I’d always thought you must be a wee guy.

Hey! It’s quite good fun poking fun at Dow - now he’s not here to defend himself - must be having a very good chuckle to himself!

Posted by .

You hardly need to bother, though. He makes enough of an eejit of himself here. But it’s fun tormenting him, as you always get some sort of response.

Well one thing’s for sure - all that chuckling will do wonders for his strumming hand.

Posted by .

Shhhhhhhhhh What’s that noise - Ah Ha! It’s Dow, the Chuckle Bunny!

Aww…I nearly feel sorry for him now..but I’ll get over that!

I… I erm… *blush* 🙂