Procrastinating on homework.. Senior-itis kicking in… College poop…

Procrastinating on homework.. Senior-itis kicking in… College poop…

For those of you who have majored in a music course that required an audition for college,

I only play classical music in my String Ensemble and I’m not as savvy as I was before I quit my lessons and went all out trad. For those of you who don’t (and do as well) have a classical background and have done the above, how did you go about getting in/what did you play?

Can’t think of other questions because I have to work on something.. homework probably.. but do tell me your experiences.

By the way, I plan on majoring in Music Education. Composition doesn’t look all too bad either. Not for a major though..

::Crosses fingers::
Cheers,
Armand

Re: Procrastinating on homework.. Senior-itis kicking in… College poop…

FiddlinViolinin, are you asking about a good audition piece? If so, try the Haydn Violin Concerto in G (if you’ve already played it, disregard!) Since you’ve been playing a lot of trad music, you’ll like the turns and trills and bowings in this concerto. In my opinion, trad music can only strengthen your technique. Good luck; hope you find a college professor that likes ITM 🙂

I would talk to your ensemble director about good pieces. Or contact one of the professors at the University and see what the standard incoming repertoire is. I’ll check with some of my violin major/BME friends. I’m a piano major so I don’t know violin repertoire well enough to make suggestions.

I’m in my last year at Berklee College of Music in Boston, and I also work in the admissions office. For auditions for Berklee, we encourage students to play a piece that they’re comfortable playing. It doesn’t have to be jazz or classical or whatever - play what you do best. We also give the applicant a bit of sight-reading and a few call-and-response ear training exercieses.

My advice to you is not to play a piece that you think the audition staff wants to hear. Play what you play well.

Cara

I am in my Senior year of high school, as well. Something I am doing is putting off the audition for a year by going to a small college nearby with the intention of transferring after one year there. (The danger in transferring is that not everything you take at the first college will transfer to the second.) That way, I have an entire year to plan for the audition that will get me the scholarship money I need.

So, hey! Maybe it’s not the best plan, but it’s what I’m going with.

Posted by .

Hi Armand,
Good luck! I’ve been lurking for a while here (nothing really to contribute), but I’ve recently decided (OK, *almost* decided) to leave my high-tech, good-paying job, and return to school to finish my music degree and become a music teacher. I’ll be taking an almost 50% pay cut, but the price of my soul is too high where I work now. Music (not necessarily ITM) is what I’m really about, and I want to share that passion. I’ve discovered that I don’t have to be *the best* — which is not an excuse for mediocrity, mind you — but as long as I have the passion, and can express it and share it, and perhaps nurture it in someone else, and have the power to make a difference, it is the ultimate Wrong not to do so.

Sorry I can’t recommend an audition piece (I originally went to music school as a sax player), but I wanted to encourage you: JUST DO IT!
The most important thing that I think the jury wants to see in an audition is that you pay attention to the *music* — don’t pick something hard because that’s what you think they want to hear; pick something you love, that you can be expressive with, that shows why you want to be a Musician, and shows that you have something to share. Sure you’ll be nervous and you want to impress, but let the Music shine through. Whatever it is.
🙂
-Chris

Let me add something to this discussion. As a former college professor, I’ve sat on many an audition panel. Brilliance and panache are great, but also what we looked for were commitment and discipline. Play something that shows your talent and personality, but remember you are going for a degree; no one will give you scholarship money just to "have fun" all year. Plenty of opportunities for that—you must show you are also willing to work.