The Corrs new “traditional” album

The Corrs new “traditional” album

The Corrs have just released a new album "Home" which is supposed to represent a return to their roots, albeit two of the songs "Dimming of the day" and "Heart like a wheel" are contemporary.

Has anyone heard this album? What do you think its merits are or the motivation behind it? Will the fact that an album of traditional music, albeit watered down, is presently high in the album charts assist in furthering the interest or popularity of our kind of music? Please discuss.

http://www.thecorrswebsite.com/index2.htm

Re: The Corrs new “traditional” album

not heard it. But I know she can’t play the fiddle

Posted .

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo……………

Just heard the samples. Their first album is slightly more traditional, I believe.

Margaret Barry did a better version of My Lagan Love at least she didn’t sing through her nose like this lot.

Thought this site was devoted to chat about music and musicians!!

No, it’s about Celtic Rock — get with it man!

Has anybody a Horslips album I can borrow? ;-p

>Has anybody a Horslips album I can borrow?

Actually, _I_ would love to get a copy of "Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part." I heard it years ago, and have been looking off and on ever since.

Posted by .

i havent heard it yet but i heard john mcsherry is on it,

Posted by .

That’s a terrible thing to say about a young lad in his absence.

I’m sure the thought of meeting 3 beautiful young women was the furthest from John’s mind.

I have everything by Horslips. The Corr that plays the fiddle, don’t know which one, is better than me, on the fiddle.

well i hope more traditional stuff is on it. the mix back and forth is what made their first album the best one, in my opinion.

The Coors (hee hee) have always been traditional - don’t they feature a plastic goatskin on the front of their cds?.

What? You mean their CD covers are made of plastic goatskin? Cool!

I note that the Canadian group Great Big Sea is releasing a new album of "all traditional back to their roots" material in a couple of weeks. Maybe this is a trend.
If people want to unplug their instruments and play the old standards, more power to them.
And I just heard Steve Tilston talk about his new "all traditional material" album in a radio interview. He said he was going to pick the more obscure old stuff for the album when he realized that the obscure stuff was obscure for a reason, so he went with a lot of the "old reliable" stuff (with nice results, based on the cuts I heard on the radio).
I would much rather have the Celt rockers move in our direction, than have the session community move in their direction (besides, our publican would have a fit if someone tried to set up a drum kit in the corner, I can hear him now "that f***ing thing takes up the space that could be occupied by two paying customers!").

Careful Geoff, that’s an Eamon Maguire drum that girl "plays". You don’t want to upset Eamon, believe me.

Eamon’s a big pussycat really. Some people might classify that particular moggie as a sabre tooth tiger……

so what is this forum’s "conventional wisdom" about the Coors’ instrumental ability playing traditional Irish music?

The girls are all very good on the piano

I wouldn’t mind taking them on the piano.

I mean “having”

I wouldn’t mind HAVING them on piano.

Hmmm… still sounds too much like what I meant.

Umm that’s what I meant Jack! I don’t think any of them actually play the piano. :)

Pervert! :-D

The Corrs were saleable as a "pop" group, but would have a long road to travel to be taken as a serious trad outfit.

one of the downsides of marketing looks over anything else is that people often notice looks over anything else. odd how that works, eh?

I wonder if there’s a message board on the Corrs website where people are slagging us off? I say fair play to them if they play some Irish music along with their pop songs and wish them every success (like that’ll mean a great deal to them). You don’t have to listen to them if you don’t like them. They’re not my cup of tea but I have many friends on the European mainland who became aware of Irish music through hearing them.

Jeez I come across dead indignant at 3.30 AM. You’re probably thinking "wind your neck in you uppity twit"…

Yeah shut up Conan :-) What’s the point in having a website like this if you can’t slag people off?

ermm can i jus sayy…o love the corrs
i think the singer has a lovely fresh voice…n yes they would never make it pro as musicians but as least they play them theirselves
u no iv got to admit back when i was young they were my inspiration…i used to send them letters tellin them they needed a button box player and that i was thier lass…and i have everysingle one of their cds and for me there music has so many memories

so i shall not desert them in their time of need

UP THE CORRS

however will the fiddle player stop making that terrible racket

hmm…im a bit late in this discussion arent i

Discussion about The Corrs used to revolve around "who cares what they sound like, they are DDG (drop dead gorgeous)" etc. They’ve produced some decent pop records in their time and been great ambassadors for Ireland.

But if you examine their output, they have rehashed and repackaged quite a small basic catalogue over the years, in other words, they only have a handful of blockbuster songs.

Andrea has a nice voice and the sisters can do good harmonies, but it seems to me that they are not "steeped" enough in the tradition to pull it off from a purist point of view. It’s an OK record (I’ve only heard bits of it) but I’d say that they’re disappointed from a sales point of view.

Also the songs are too well known, the list is almost like bedsit party time - maybe they could have done a Mary Black and included some contemporary folk material?

Lastly, have the Corrs got writer’s block?

i know i’m three years late on this discussion XD, just stumbled on this old page and i’ve something to add so i’ll just say it:

"Great ambassadors for Ireland" yeah i agree, i’m from malaysia and i was introduced to irish music through them.
it seems everywhere on this site, a mere mention of the corrs is enough to draw some sarcastic remarks,

well, sure they don’t play ‘real’ irish trad, they are a pop group after all, but they had a huge mass appeal around the world, and their "trad" tunes have surely made many want to explore other hardcore itm artists, which, frankly no one has heard of in this part of the world