Forgett Accordion!

Forgett Accordion!

I came across an old accordion in an antique shop recently, it had Forgett lettered on the base side and the shop owner said it was circa 1920’s.
Nice tone out of it and looked good (I know, I know, looks aren’t everything!), needed some minor repairs to the bellows and replace some missing button tops. Appeared to be in good shape.
What I want to know is has anyone heard of this make or would it be worth investing in (around €120 / $145) or should I forget about it (sorry couldnt resist)?
He put it aside for me, so I would like to get back to him with some decision soon.
Thanks for any advice given.
No-one will be found liable ;-]

Re: Forgett Accordion!

I’m certainly no expert but I have never heard of that make. Is it possible some of the lettering might be missing? Congratulations on your find! Doesn’t sound like too much to pay if it’s still in good working order and has a nice tone.

Forgette is an actual surname; Forgett - I’m not so sure.

Nobody has said this so far(and honestly, I’m only joking), if you’re thinking about bringing an accordian into a session, Forgett it. 🙂

John, that was a penalty kick. Far too easy! Come on, try harder! 🙂

I forgott to forgett to remember.

Thanks to all who replied, Conán, you may be correct in that some of the lettering is missing from the name.
I am not sure if it is worht investing from what Indie Niall posted.
Kind regards,
Daithi

I’m only pointing you to his website, Daithi.
Maybe try emailing him directly (email on his website) see what he says.
Good luck!

I once bought an accordion at a garage sale with an Italian name on it which no-one had heard of. The accordion detectives informed me that it was once all the rage to have your name professionally put on the instrument for show!

If it’s playing Ok and the repairs are minor enough, you be OK for awhile (for awhile). I think Mr. Allodi was addressing the (purely hypothetical) collector’s market and saying it’s not a good investment.

Be aware tho:’"minor" repairs have a major tendancy to snowball.

Hey, John J, good idea… No accordions (of any kind), no bozoukis, no bodhrans, no flutes, no fiddles, I think we should just go back to pipes and harps only. And then, only if they’re properly played. 🙂

Posted by .

Got the accordion assessed, it is of West German manufacture and not a particularly good make.
Thanks for all your comments!
You can all now forget about it 😉

So the thread title was prophetic then?