whistles for christmas??????

whistles for christmas??????

I have a dented generation D whistle which i’m playing with at the moment.

I was wondering what other whistles there are out there
that can still be pretty cheap (say under £25) but still produce
a decent sound (preferably not plastic whistles).

Any advice on whistles which match or are along the lines of the description above?

It doesn’t have to be amazing as I’m playing the Fiddle, Uilleann pipes and whistle so i won’t be playing that much.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Re: whistles for christmas??????

Nothing I have in my collection comes close to the Cillian O’Briain Improved D whistle, for price and tone. I love it. It is wonderfully in tune, and just a very very good whistle. I have been playing it exclusively. Its voice blends very well with other instruments. I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

A whistle is for life, not just for Christmas.

I know im keeping it for life………

but you try playing my dented generation whistle….

so can we stop the "devotion" thing now?

Sam

O K Sam. Friend of mine was given an old Brass Whistle whose owner had died in 1928!

It is stamped with the letter A - that’s all.

Unfortunately it has lead around the mouthpiece so I guess, if he’s any sense, he won’t be playing.

So, I reckon there comes a time in every Whistle’s life, when you just have to put them out to pasture, but please, just before you do that, please, please, do me one small favour?

Would you - "Play it again Sam?"

come on ya’ll..find this guy a whiste would ya…

I have a dented Clark Sweetone that sounds pretty good except that my son chewed on the mouthpiece but now it’s not so easy to overblow…try it

Hey Sunnybear chill man! I already gave this dude a link to a previous discussion on this very topic, which actually discusses the merits of no less than 12 different makes, including:

Michael Burke
John Sindt
Kerry (Phil Hardy)
Chris Abell
O’Riordan
Copeland
Generation brass D
Susato
David Boisvert
Cillian O’Brien tuneable low-D
Alba
Goldie Overton

So what more does he want?
Surely there’s enough fat to chew over there?
Perhaps he’d like us to take a collection to pay for it? 😀

it must be late across the pond…geesh

Look on www.chiffandfipple.com they have a section for cheap and expensive whistles.

I say you check out the Jerry freeman tweaked whistles.. ESPECIALLY the Generations. Yummy stuff =D

Cheers,
Armand

I have to confess: When I saw the subject line, the first thing I thought of was that old warning about not giving children pets for Christmas (or birthdays).
But I guess whistles aren’t liable to get sick with rabies or distemper, chew up the furniture or get hit by cars — well, even if they did, what’s the big deal?

Posted by .

If you want to play traditional music, play it on a traditional tin whistle, conical with a wood block in the fipple. Get an untweaked Clarke, or if you want to splurge, get a Shaw.
Commit yourselves to a monogomous relationship with one whistle, instead of jumping to the next big thing in brass/wood/plastic or whatever. You will save a lot of money, and have just as much fun.
And if you want a better sound, be an innovator, don’t rush out and buy a new whistle, try something novel, like practicing more!
Brother, am I grouchy this morning. 😉

i still like generation d whistles. i have a silver with a blue top and a brass with a red top. i think the silver one produces a much cleaner sound myself although the brass one doesn’t seem as shrill sounding. they cost like under 4 pounds sterling.

I picked up a Freeman tweaked "mellowdog" D on E-bay for a reasonable 36 bones. I must say I love this whistle.

My first whistle was a "waltons mellw D" and by some miracle I just got lucky and got a good one. Since then I have aquired and played a bunch of these mass produced cheapie (generation and feadog etc, etc) whistles. Some of them are literally unplayable. Believe me I love the rugged idiosycratic delicacy of the way a good Generation play’s, but getting a good one is a matter of luck unless you can try them. (I also assert that an inexperienced player would’t have a clue if they had a good one or not.) Freeman takes the "luck" out of it and delivers a nice playing tradional sounding product.

For even less money you could get a Susato. I am not huge fan of the plastic whistle and it take a bit more push to fill up at the higher end by this bad boy is loud as you know what and I noticed pracrcally all the trad players I saw in Ireland use them.

All the fancy expensive whistle’s

Sunnybear? - Any relation to Huggy Bear? Or was he waaaaay before your time?

huggy bear???

It must be waayyy past your bedtime.

I’m dreaming of a ……..

Oops, misread the thread.

Posted by .

my feadog is nicely in tune, the oldest of my whistles and the best sounding.

Check out
http://www.thewhistleshop.com

I like the Waltons mellow D. But they have a bunch of other great whistles in all keys and price ranges.