streaming ITM?

streaming ITM?

Here’s a question about a way to increase the enjoyment of life when I can’t be playing music. What webradio sites do you listen to that provide a good source of ITM?
I’ve dabbled with celticgrove, liveireland, and folk alley. They have their own ups and downs — celticgrove gets Really Out There sometimes and it’s hard to get a connection; liveireland (trad channel) is often good but sometimes gets on a Sappy Song groove (and they repeat shows a lot); folk alley is a high quality music source but the ITM is sprinkled in amongst other folk styles.
Am I missing something good?

Re: streaming ITM?

I really enjoy the stuff from RTE radio 1 – Ceili House, the Late Session and there are a few very interesting docos. There is a large enough archive of these programs to consider it ‘streaming’. There not straight music programs, there’s a fair bit of talking but they’re good shows nonetheless. Lots of news of what’s happening in the ITM world as well.

agree! the RTE stuff is great - Ceili House is a great source of ITM from around the counties and Late Session will keep you up to dat with the latest releases and tours. Check out the archives too. especially Ceili Band Comps - great stuff

Listen to RTE Radió na Gaeltachta at 7pm (GMT) too for great live music and archive recordings. A brilliant show. There are also fantastic Scottish tunes on BBC Radió na hAlba. Click on Éist and choose your programme. I’m currently listening to this as I type. Actually listening to the Scottish National Mód. Fantastic!

So are there links to sites for these radio programs? And will they work here in the States? I’d love to be able to listen to the good stuff while working. Thanks!

ok, fair point.
www.liveireland.com
www.folkalley.org
www.celticgrove.com

Each of those homepages has a button to click to stream to winamp, windows media player, real player, etc. in a variety of formats (and bitrates).

Or you can open your media player and connect that way too, but it’s often bewilderingly difficult to navigate to a webradio link that’s outside of the proprietary list of radio links that such media players provide (hence it’s often easier to go to the home page and point the stream to your media player, at least initially).

The other ones mentioned seem to be available from the BBC Radio and the RTE homepages, but not being a gaelic reader/speaker, it’s a bit of a fishing trip to find the right connection (lots of other cool things to get distracted by on those sites!)

Can you others provide the specific RTE and BBC links?

Oh, and yes they work here in the States!
It’s good to have a fast (DSL, cable or better) connection to avoid the maddening breaks in the stream….

I feel like I’m talking to myself, but….

I just found another decent-sounding stream at "The Pittsburgh Irish Festival" continuous stream…a fair amount of contemporary Scots/Irish stuff thrown in (e.g., Old Blind Dogs) for good measure.
http://www.pghirishfest.org/

Thanks, I’ve been gone awhile. I have cable internet so I can handle streaming I just hadn’t found any sites to stream the musis through. Thanks again for the links

On Saturdays from 3 to 8 pm Eastern (US) Time there’s Celtic Twilight on http://wumb.org. There’s Celtic Sojourn on http://wgbh.org Saturdays noon-3 pm Eastern and archived on demand. Both shows include Irish, Scottish, English, Cape Breton, and more. 8 to 9 pm Eastern there’s an hour of music from the Canadian Maritimes on http://wumb.org .

PS Most of this is in the link section of this site.

Oh, I never thought to look there…
(Is there a sheepish smiley face that I can put up, or an embarassed one?)

second that smiley face!
And add a second one with egg on it for not having fully explored this site before starting this discussion.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m glad you started it though … or I never would have found these links. Or that we had a link section on the site…

Live365 has been pretty good in my limited experience with it. It links to a few of the stations already mentioned above, but it seems to me that there are a few others there not already mentioned here. Has all sorts of other streaming stuff too.

rte radio na gaeltachta has four weekly one hour shows that are archived so you can listen to the latest show. easy to find under music/ ceil.

Posted by .

It’s not streaming but I subscribe to Comhaltas Live and get download a weekly video of people playing tunes. If you want to check it out, go to www.comhaltaslive.ie

Does anybody know when Robbie Hannan will be back to Culan?

WFUV FM www.wfuv.org

Click on the "Celtic Sounds" button in the left margin. Kathleen Biggins hosts a brilliant traditional show on Saturday mornings and they are archived. She often has musicians in the studio with her. A mainstay for me of traditional Irish music whilst I work.

Peace,
Ed

Try accuradio.

Posted by .

The Scottish Gaelic language radio channel is BBC Radio Nan Gaidheal. There is a lot of traditional music to be heard on it, including Irish music at times. It is livestreamed and can also be listened to on the playback facility. The Gaelic television channel BBC Alba is also very good for music. Unfortunately it cannot be watched on the Internet in some countries but it is often available live on free view packages and it is one of the free channels on Sky (although if you subscribe to Sky it may not appear in your channel list).