Anyone here see Dervish last night in Belfast?

Anyone here see Dervish last night in Belfast?

Just wondering if anyone on here had the pleasure of seeing Dervish last night in the Belfast Festival at Queens. It doesn’t need stated but they were absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Kathy Jordan has more stage presence than the lot of them put together but it doesn’t matter cos they all played like demons.

I would have like the fiddler to have been a bit louder to enjoy a few more of his finer intricicies but thats just cos i’m a cat-strangler meself!

Any thoughts?

Re: Anyone here see Dervish last night in Belfast?

Toughts on Dervish? wouldn’t waste my time!

I did indeed they rocked the place! They really missing the gutar though. Cathy Jordan is what Irish music should be about.

No harm but her voice does my head in!

Yea I was there, good stuff, though I didn’t think much of the sound engineers expertise.

I liked the constant mix of tunes and songs. I also loved the set of tunes (The Slow Air followed by the Swallows tail reel) which they began and finished by playing cool harmonic harmonies. Good to see them branch out a little from the straight session kind of set.

Had a chat to all them afterwards — nice bunch, got Harmony Hill CD signed etc — Really Groupy - Listening to it now!

Shalom K

Posted by .

PS, If you get fed up listening to the Tunes
(which mostly sound the same lets face it!!!)

Cathy Jordans dance moves are a constant source of amusement!

I think she should bring out a ‘Traditional Dancersize DVD’ how to lose wait in Ten years to Irish Jigs, Reels and Hornpipes.

Something between Kate Bush and Mystic Meg came to mind.

As my old mum says;
"There’s wiser in looking out!"

She does have nice eyes though.

Posted by .

Dervish should get rid of Cathy.
The Coors should get rid of Jim.
Then Cathy should join the Coors.
There you go - thats a good swap.
I haven’t replaced Jim on purpouse.

Ok I like Cathy,but I prefer the Boys of Sligo.

hey jfiddlerh hope you’ve more time on your hands this year because the trad group at queen’s is still alive and well. i’m not there this year as i’m studying in south carolina in the u s of a but mairead is keeping it ticking over nicely! the group all went to dervish and i’ve heard nothing but good reports. i’m stuck with country music til i get back i’m afraid! hope all is well in belfast!

Did they play with fire? Sorry ouldn’t help it, I actually am listening to that album right now.

Posted by .

Sorry but Cathy Jordan is absolutley fantastic, she’s the driving force bwhind dervish and she crates a fantastic atmosphere. Anybody know what the encore song she sang was??

Have seen Dervish (aka The Greatest Irish Tad. Band Ever) like 10 times and keep going back for more. I don’t get why people don’t like Cathy. She’s effin’ brilliant. My question to those that don’t like her is —- "Can YOU sing like that?" No, you can’t. No one can.

And as to the tune sets sounding all the same…no, not really. I own every piece of Dervish merchandise available (as well as some bootleg concert audio….yummm) and I’m still waiting on the new album. And another. And then another and another.

Truly, Seamus O’Dowd’s absence can be felt, but Seamus O’Dowd was not DERVISH all by himself. While it is arguable that he was an original "Boy of Sligo", he only started recording/touring with the band around the "Midsummer’s Night" period. I’ve heard tell that Cathy plays some wicked guitar and bouzouki! I’d love to see it in action…

Long Live the Greatest Trad Band Ever, Dervish!

Sean Earnest

Posted .

I like Dervish quite a bit, but I don’t think that I have to sing or play like anyone else to like or dislike them…good thing, too ‘cause I can’t sing a lick

Cathy accompanied herself (on bouzouki/guitar) singing the Suzanne Vega song "The Queen and The Soldier" at the Dublin Olympia at easter this year … really really fantastic stuff. Actually you can hear her doing that song on one of the old RTE rattlebag programmes, although Seamus O Dowd is playing accompaniment on that one. http://www.rte.ie/arts/2004/1216/rattlebag.html

Lizzy

Posted by .