What happened to the RTE archives?

What happened to the RTE archives?

I learned a lot from the trad music they had available at Ceolnet. Why is it no longer available? Or is there a secret society we have to enter in order to avail ourselves of it now?

Re: What happened to the RTE archives?

I don’t know for sure, but if I were to venture a guess I would say they had problems with royalties. I loved ceolnet even though it was an on & off again affair. RnaG has great shows Lán a’ Mhála, Fonn Ceoil, Céilí na Céadaoine & Na Fonnadóirí are all great, as well as the more popular Ceili House & Late session on RTE1. There’s plenty of great music to be gleaned from these shows on a regular basis.

Funny enough they call money earned from music ‘royalties’ the term makes it out as if’s king’s pay.

As in Flanders and Swans’ explanation of who and how wrote "Greensleeves" ( reputedly Henry VIII ) " and the royalties go to royalty. " Boom, boom !

RTE do show an Irish music archive programme every Friday at 7.30. Its only on for about 25mins but theres some nice old clips on there. I seen people like Joe Cooley and Lucy Farr back in their day.
Have a look next week. Nicholas Carolan is the presneter.

Talking of RTE Archives the venerable Ciaron MacMathúna is soon to broadcast the last of Mo Cheol Thú.The penultimate is Sunday 27th November 2005- it goes out at 8.10am but is available for 7 days on the show’s RTE website.http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mocheolthu/. Amongst the poetry and traditional music Ciaron has often included his field recordings for RTE in the 1950’s and 1960’s of traditional musicians and singers around Ireland- many are now household names.
Ciaron is-as he said last week "having a rest for the rest of his life".
As a second generation Irish in London Ciaron has truly enriched my life.