Is the cold getting to you?????

Is the cold getting to you?????

As winter is around and things are freeezing in Europe (not very goood with geography so I don’t know what it’s like in America - I do know it’s hot in australia though ๐Ÿ™‚ ) I was just wondering if the cold was stopping you playing music.

The reason I’m saying this is because i jus came back from a walk I went on with my dad and dog and sat down and picked up my fiddle - my hands were so cold I couldn’t play a thing - same with my whistle (though I havn’t tried the pipes yet ๐Ÿ™‚.

So I was just wandering - is the cold stopping you play a bit because yer hands are too cold to move.

meanwhile I’m going to find something to warm my hands up with.

cheers,

sam

Re: Is the cold getting to you?????

Wear good thermal gloves and outer clothing - including headgear - when you go out, and do the washing-up in hot water (wear rubber gloves) before you start to play. Works every time.
BTW, I’ve been checking the minimum and maximum temperatures outside my house in Bristol and comparing them with the corresponding ones for last year.
Over the same 8-day period in November 2004 the average lowest temperature was 4C and the average highest was 10.5C. This year, the corresponding ones are 0C and 8.5C respectively. I use a digital thermometer.

The Reading Uni Met. centre recorded -4.4 over the weekend. I’m really looking forward to playing outside with a morris side this Thursday, Boxing Day and New Years Day. Even with my charcoal hand warmer fiddle playing in this weather isn’t easy!!

Here in N. Portugal, because it’s hot or warm for most of the year, nobody bothers much about things like insulation and central heating. So, even though it’s not really *cold* oustide, it’s not very warm inside either. I’m told it can drop below freezing here in January, so I hope there is some kind of heating.

So far, apart from the rainy days (which are not infrequent at this time of year, but not nearly frequent enough to make up for last year’s dry winter), the weather has generally been good for busking, so I’m not starving yet.

On the contrary. Our session-den has a fireplace. And hot whiskey.

S

"I don’t know what it’s like in America "

America’s a big place, but where I am we’ve got three foot long icicles under the bridges already. Big snow storm expected in a few days.

Iiiiii’m dreaming of a white, Thanksgiving…

"…is the cold stopping you play a bit because yer hands are too cold to move."

No. I’ve got this stuff called fire, although it’s certainly going to cramp my busking style for awhile. Good excuse to hole up and ….practice.

Maybe next year maybe I’ll just go where it’s warm or something. I haven’t been able to for a long time, because my mother always goes where it’s warm or something and I get stuck staying around to shovel her snow and fix her burst pipes.

And she doesn’t even play pipes.

KFG

Posted by .

I am enormously disappointed to discover that fingertipless gloves do not make busking in a northern hemisphere winter any easier on the digits.

Posted by .

I find that cold and dry weather makes the fiddle pegs shrink just that little bit so as to slacken off one or two strings. So what I do now is to put a dampened bit of chamois leather in each fiddle case at the peg end to maintain a level of humidity.

my fingers cease up a bit in the winter. it takes ages to warm them up properly - i think i have bad circulation in my hands. i find that my fingers don’t move as fast as i want them to. its a pain. however, it was only yesterday that i discovered the radiator in my room wasn’t on (that’s why it’s so bloody cold!). having swiched the thing on, things should start to improve!

Several winters ago the London Symphony Orchestra gave a celebration concert in Bristol, in an enormous refurbished railway shed that had been built by the great Victorian engineer Brunel. Needless to say, there was no heating in this huge draughty building and the temperature was only just above freezing. Everyone in the orchestra had fingertipless gloves (mittens) and was wearing an extra layer under their normal concert gear. I was talking to one of the cellists during the interval and he told me about a concert they’d done at York Minster the previous week where it was so cold that the dribbles from the brass and woodwind had formed puddles of ice on the floor.

Hey Q, I used those gloves while busking with me Banjo in Dublin, all through the winter of 80/81 & they didn’t help that much.

Although young rising banjo star Gerry O’Connor, did throw me a ยฃ1 one day on Henry St. - through pity no doubt, rather than musical appreciation!

You busking then Q? Where abouts? Maybe I’ll come find you and buy you a pint for your efforts. Only if you’re any good of course ๐Ÿ™‚ I remember years ago I used to get asked to play the recorder with a few other’s for rememberance day services outside - that could result in stiff fingers, but there was nothing lively needing playing of course. I also used to go round accompanying carol singers on the flute or recorder… I found fingerless gloves helped, but if the wind got up there really was nothing you could do. Can’t stand the wind up me fipple…. Also the cold plays havok with the tuning!

Just come back from a couple of hours sub-zero off-road biking here in Surrey and after washing the bikes in freezing water after my hands took a while to warm up, but now they’re glowing and I’m about to do some flute practice.

Posted by .

Jon-e handwarmers are approximately the size of a pack of cigarettes but not as thick. They use V&P naphtha, 1.5 tablespoons for the small size, to ignite a catalytic element that provides heat. The warmer is placed in a cloth bag then into a pocket for use. The small size generates heat for approximately 8 hours. The company also makes a belt that positions two warmers over the kidneys. That position provides enough warmth to help keep hands and feet relatively comfortable in frigid temperatures (0ยฐF) if you are properly dressed otherwise. If you must be out in the cold and can’t move around much to stay warm, these are useful.

For emergencies in winter, I carry one of these, with some extra fuel, in my car and two in my backpack.

Wreaks havoc on the pipes. I’m constantly adding thread to the joints so they’re not falling apart mid-tune. Which they do anyway. I always have the thread on the table in front of me at a session.

The distance between the parking lot and the pub is enough to make my fingers dysfunctional. Last Sunday I had to just sit and listen for the first ten or fifteen minutes I was in the session since I couldn’t have played a tune to save my life until I’d warmed up.

I like snow.

Snow makes me feel fuzzy inside. Kind of.

Snow + Music = BAAAAAAAD.

Anywho, I’ll try the hot water and rubber glove trick there.

cheers,
Armand

I actually play more in the winter. Playing my fiddle warms me up some. Now, I do a lot less playing outside….

Posted by .

The days here have been in the low 30’s and high 20’s — brrr.

That’s Celcius, by the way.

Hello from Santa Barbara ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Posted by .

I take vitamin and herbal supplements through winter here in the Sierra Mountains of California related to the cold. When desparate to get the circulation going in the morning, I take Niacin (100 mg). Sometimes minerals helps it work. Be careful with this one, as you can flush with too much circulation and turn pink. Ginko is an herb that helps circulation. Through the snowy part of the year, I wear sweaters under hooded sweatshirts, as the weave of the cloth traps body heat in tiny pockets between stiches. I have also tried Cayenne Pepper Powder inside my socks if I am walking through snow. Be careful of this one also, as too much will give you a hot foot. Sometimes there is a delayed reaction when the pores on the feet slowly open.

It’s Indian Summer time right now in sunny San Francisco. My windows have all been wide open and girls are still strolling about in flimsy halter-tops. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

(I’m not sexist — I just appreciate beautiful, uh… things. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

It’s pleasant here with the temp currently right around 15C tomorrow’s high is supposed to be 20C. (Man do I love having a weather program that’ll convert the temps for me.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve played my fiddle outdoors when it was below freezing more than once and I was always ok until it was time to pack up and go home and then I never could warm up and my hands started hurting. But I was always fine while playing.

Last year right after Thanksgiving my mom, dad, and I went to a local folk-life village to play (ostensibly) Christmas tunes. But they had a pair of Suzuki fiddlers in one of the houses and a brother/sister cello/viola (classical) duo in the church both groups doing Christmas tunes (and a rather stilted Suzuki version of Boil them Cabbages (remember that I’m in Texas). So I rebelled and wouldn’t play anything Christmas-y at all. So we played old-time fiddle tunes the whole night. We packed up almost half an hour early because it was beyond freezing and there were very few people there anyways. Still was fun.

I wear regular gloves when I’m out and about outside and it’s cold and other than that I don’t bother with gloves when I’m playing though I have used fingerless (lacy) gloves during re-enactments.

If you don’t have rubber gloves you can just run your hands under hot water just be sure to have lotion on hand so that your hands don’t dry out.

Yea it does, but compared to those freezing temperatures, i guess its pretty warm here, around 50 [Farenheit-i never understood celcius], lowest about 40, highest 60.
Actually though, my fingers can freeze up even when its 100F outside. How? the A/C. Aargghh…my worst enemy when it comes to playing.
I was at the fleadh in June, and it was about 95F outside [or at least felt like it!] but the A/C was on full blast inside, so while waiting for my time to play in the piano accompianment (I can play it but I cant spell it) competition, I had to move& stretch my fingers constantly-people probably thought i was crazy. Luckily, I did pretty well!
Good luck to fighting the cold!

yea and phantom?
that is kinda rude

Hi Fiddlin Violinin!

re: BAAAAAAAD

I’ve tried all the permutations and still don’t recognise the tune. Any chance of a few bar lines and metre?

Thanks in advance,

Brianx

To those trying the fingerless gloves, a quick tip. Don’t buy the ones from a dept. store. Get the neoprene ones from an anglers catalog. They allow enough movement, and keep fingers warm.

Down under in Perth (Oz) it was a beautiful sunny weekend with temp up around the 32deg C.
Jack you should come on down under to continue your appreciation of beauty through the winter months.

Oh hush, Jack! You’re making me jealous —- not of the view (I prefer guys in kilts) but of the climate. Up here a mere 600 or so miles north of you it’s cold enough to freeze the buttons on those cute young things you’re ogling. All of my nasturtiums are dead and my rosemary is looking peaked.

I usually play more this time of year; it keeps my cold-sensitive hands more limber, and since there are fewer wild plants to identify and harvest I spend more time indoors. The bedroom, where I do my practicing, is the smallest (hence warmest) room in the house —- plus it gets full sun at the time of day I’m normally practicing, which I enjoy. But if you were to ask me to play outdoors any time between now and about mid-April, you’d have to wait a bit for me to stop laughing long enough to say no.

Highly recommend mittens (fingerless gloves) for playing instruments in the cold weather - I didn’t think they would work but had a pleasant surprise. Thermals are best, not cheapo ones although they will do in emergencies. (I shall check out Tao Cat’s recommendation too, seems like good idea)

Also recommend wearing a hat as heat gets lost more from head than anywhere else.

In any case I’d rather have bright very cold days than dark, dark, short wet days. It’s the damp that gets into my old bones……

Thanks for the angling tip, TaoCat!

Posted by .

Sorry, forgot to say that yesterday, Sunday, here at Bellerive Oval, Tasmania, ‘twas a very pleasant 21C as I watched the 2nd Test Match, Australia v. West Indies.

Saturday was a bit chilly though, only reached 18C.

Brianx

Sorry! Should have added that Sat. evening, was at a farewell concert for a group called Tantallon.

They’re headed to Britain early December, playing music mainly derived from Scottish roots, aiming to be based in NE England. Look out for them, lovely people.

Bx

Brian, I think you have the wrong thread. The apology thread is two pages that way —->
๐Ÿ˜€

Posted by .

Confusion between Fahrenheit and Celsius (or Centigrade as some still call it) reminds me of the story of a plane-load of American tourists coming in to land at Heathrow one fine morning in May. The pilot told his passengers that it was a "fine and sunny 20 degrees down there, with little wind". Mild panic ensued as the summer-clad tourists thought he meant 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
A quick "in-your-head" conversion from Fahrenheit to Celsius is to subtract 30 and divide by 2. To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit you multiply by 2 and add 30. Not dead accurate, but close enough for day-to-day purposes.

Thanks soo much! I never knew that before.
*Helpful if I get to Ireland!