Sooo.. Christmas tunes? I think so!

Sooo.. Christmas tunes? I think so!

Do you mix some Christmas tunes into your sets around this time?

I’ve been waiting so long to do this one:

Piper in the Meadow Straying
Deck the Halls

OOOOH YEAH.

Been waiting since summer. Can’t wait, can’t wait.

Cheers,
Armand

Re: Sooo.. Christmas tunes? I think so!

There’s a reel called Christmas Eve. You know that don’t you? No! Don’t play it! Arrgh!

Posted by .

Do Play it. It;s actually a good tune!

yea- we are actually havin a christmas concert, and we’re doin a lot of those, such as:

Boys of Blue Hill(Hornpipe)/Silver Bells
O Christmas Tree/Harvest Home (Hornpipe)
The First Noel/Kerry Polka(Polka)

Have fun!

Christmas Day Ida Moarnin - Shetland.

The Piper in the Meadow Straying is always good for the Holidays, and Planxty Irwin is on several of the Christmas recordings, so there must be an association there.

I Saw Three Ships/The Christmas Jig

some combinations from the excellent Cherish the Ladies CD "On Christmas Night" include

Hark the Herald Angesl Sing/Traveler’s Reel (Walker Street)

Angels We have Heard on High/Fairy Reel

The Holly and the Berry/Henry McDermott Roe, Third Air

Posted by .

Ditto Bob himself. And I also usually play Da Day Dawn first thing New Year’s morning —- it just seems to suit.

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! I don’t think so!!!!

Please, please only play xmas tunes that are appropriate for your instrument. How horrible it is to hear, for instance, carols played on melodeons with inadequate chords. Nearly as bad as standing in a queue in some shop, hearing a ghastly rendition of "Once in Royal David’s Siddy" with a disco beat backing. One of the worst xmas CDs of all time is "Pan Pipes at Christmas". As if xmas shopping wasn’t bad enough already…..

rant, rave…

But Da Day Dawn on New Year’s Day - brilliant.

John Rutter’s The Shepherd’s Pipe Carol? It’s got a traddish intro. A bit mod, but the sort of thing the punters will gobble up.

Posted by .

I <3 Christmas Eve.

At first, I wasn’t too fond of it, but then when I learned it… Man…. It’s almost as great as.. umm… Something like.. Yeeep.

I need some more Christmas albums.

Christmas may actually feel like Christmas this year!!! Anyone notice that? Well, around my parts [New England, Rhode Island] it hasn’t snowed on Christmas since hmmm.. probably 2003. Tragic.

Cheers,
Armand

I dont know if "Pan Pipes at Christmas" is the same album, I have something similar in my Collection that’s pretty ghastly, but Ann Heyman is brilliant in the second half.