Two Steps

Two Steps

I suspect that this will cause arguments as it is not really a session question but I need some advice on playing for a dance.
What is the difference between a Boston 2 Step, a Military 2 step and Eva 3 step . I have been using 6/8 pipe marches and jigs but I was told recently that a 4/4 should be used for a Military 2 step. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rod Johnston

Re: Two Steps

Jeez, I jumped into this topic thinking it might be a streamlined update to the old twelve-step programs and here you are talking about dances. 🙂

I’d say, ask Kris. I get the impression she plays in SDBs - though, I’m sure she’ll correct me if I’m wrong. Also Geoff Wright.

The following may be wrong, so check up on the facts with an adult who knows better than I before attempting these. 🙂

6/8 pipe marches for the Eva three-step - not jigs.

How about, er…, two-steps for the two-steps? Not sure if 2/4 or 4/4 marches for them as well.

There’s very little difference in the footwork between the Military two-step and the Boston two-step; indeed if one is announced, as sure as hell, both will be danced at the same time by different couples - so I’d be surprised if you’re "supposed" to play different tunes for one from the other. Or, am I missing something here? I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m giving you a bum steer here.

Posted by .

Speaking of steers , what about the Texas two-step

"……what about the Texas two-step"

Slow, slow quick,quick ,slow. The pattern changes feet every measure. Definitely in duple /duple time.

Rod, I’m maybe speaking a lot of nonsense above - I’ve done some surfing, and come across jigs being used for the Boston. If you look at the site I’ve posted below, and plug in a dance data query, that may point you in the "right" direction better than I can:

http://www.strathspey.org/index.html

Posted by .

In my experience, the only difference in a Military, Boston and Eva Twostep is the tunes. They CAN all be played and danced at the same speed.
For the last two, I would play pipe marches (which are only jigs but in a specific genre and speed).
For a Military (which is more Old-Tyme than ceilidh), just to get them singing, I would play songs in 6/8 e.g. Stein Song, Blighty, Loverly Bunch of Coconuts, MacNamaras Band, Blaze Away, Liberty Bell …. ad nauseam.
Listening to "Take The Floor" (on the internet, BBC Radio Scotland) is the best way to listen to what tunes and speeds a cross-section of bands play these various dances in.

there’s a lovely military two-step Dancing Dustmen on John Carty’s ‘at the racket _ Mirth-making Heroes’ (2001) album

done here on banjo (with banjo, sax and guitar backing), his notes describe it as a favourite with melodean players, being popular at the turn of the century, and this version from a 78 recording of Pete Wyper from Lanarkshire, southern Scotland

I have seen dance bands playing reels for the Boston Two Step, depends how lively the crowd are.But 6/8 would be to slow.

"Military 2-Step" ~ 4/4 or 2/4 marches…