C#/D Box

C#/D Box

I have started to seriously take up the C#/D box. I picked it up about a year ago and let it sit, now I have learned a few tunes and really want to get going on it.

But … it seems that there is a serious lack of material for the C#/D box out there. Any recommendations?? I managed to get one lesson off of Scoiltrad before they disappeared. Too bad about that. I am thinking about the John Williams DVD, but I know he primarily plays B/C. Hmmm. Any ideas?? I am in the Vancouver BC, Canada area, so any teachers from here to Portland Oregon would be ok too.

Thanks,

Noel

Re: C#/D Box

Hi Noel! Welcome in the C#D world!
I play C#D box from 9 months… isn’t a mission impossible!
It’s true, there’s not C#D tutors on DVD or other.
You can try with Amazing Slow Downer, a very good software for to slow the tunes and, if is necessary, correct the pitch.
Also you can try to learn polkas first of all, second the jigs, third hornpipe ad after… reels.
A good Cds to learn polkas and jigs is "The Trooper" and "Music from Sliabh Luachra"of Johnny O’Leary.
O’Leary had a clean and quiet style.
Remember: 1) learn the melody; 2) learn the ornaments; 3) learn, if is necessary, the bass.
Good luck!

Silvio - Italy

Hello Noel,
In my humble opinion, you have made a wise choice with your C#D Box.
I play fiddle & a couple of times a month I have the pleasure to play with a brilliant C#D Box player, & I love it.
They are punchy wee machines & sound great on all Irish music but are especially terrific on Polkas & Slides.
Onwards & upwards my good man.
Good Luck

Move to Vancouver C#D?

Get cd’s by Joe Cooley, Paul Brock, Aiden Coffey, Jackie Daly, Patty Furlong, Johnny O’Leary and Andrew McNamara … to begin with … and slow them down …. there’s your tutor!

Good Luck
SteveB

I was plunking around online and rambled across this page:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dpm1/

there’s a clip of a kid named brendan browne about a third of the way down.. i’d never heard of him but then again my ear isn’t exactly pressed against the ground for things like that. he’s pretty good, plays the reel on a C#D with a sneer and a bounce to it. says he learned it from joe burke so how about that?

Noel

Silvio and SteveB have good ideas. Peter Browne’s video tutor is great for learning techniques of ornamentation on the button box. It’s sold as being for intermediate and advanced players but it’s great inspiration for a beginner, and well organized. You can use those techniques on your C#/D. Here’s what I found.

For VHS http://www.accordionheaven.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/accordian/Store/AccShop.cgi/!ORDERID!/xxx/Cat2BAccIVid.html

For DVD http://www.simplyirish.com/irish_music_instrument_dvd_tutors.asp

Posted by .

I play B/C box here in Portland so I’m not much help with your C#/D concerns but there is an excellent teacher named Johnny B. Connolly, who plays B/C but may be able to give you some names of C#/D players in the area. If you scroll through this webpage you’ll find some contact info. Good luck

http://tinyurl.com/ex75r

-Nate

Posted by .

Thanks alot everyone for your replies. I have realized that it is indeed a good idea to start with polkas and jigs and work your way up to reels,etc. In that I also play Old Time Fiddle and Clawhammer Banjo I have a bit of a reel "addiction" so to speak.
But I just started working on The Finnish Polka, and I must say that it is much easier than the reel I have been working on. I think I will try and get some Polkas under my belt, then a few jigs ( I am working on the Kesh right now), then try and tackle some others.

On another note, I was thinking of looking up Johnny B. Connolly next itme I am Portland, which may be in a few weeks. Have to see if he has any free time.

Once again, thanks all.

Quote: Also "The Box" by David Hanrahan is a must for any one learning the button box. Unquote.

Jonathan I have to disagree. Utterly. I bought this book when I was waiting for my first box to arrive because, well, it was cheap and available and I saw it recommended.

It’s of no use at all to anyone contemplating the C#/D box. To give you an idea, although the book is aimed at B/C players, there is an alternative keyboard layout at the back. For…. drum roll… the C/C# system, which went out with the ark.

And the information is so sketchy that I don’t think it would be of any great use to budding B/C players. You can read it from cover to cover in less than 3 minutes. Save your money Noel.

I’ve seen Peter Browne’s video and it’s very impressive. But not IMO what a beginner needs to work on. In fact there’s a bunch of stuff in it that I personally would never want to work on - the syncopation excesses, I mean exercises, for instance (sorry Peter!).

Steve

The cool thing about boxes is that lessons aren’t nessecary. Perseverance, yes, but all you need is an instrument and music to learn from.

"The cool thing about boxes is that lessons aren’t nessecary. Perseverance, yes, but all you need is an instrument and music to learn from."

In the broadest sense, lessons are not necessary. However, there are issues like air management, bellows control, best bass practices. Listening to music will not teach you the best way to hold a box for the kind of playing you want to do. You’d probably like to play as efficiently as possible. You’d probably like to not be exhausted after playing a set of reels when you have three more sets coming up.
Anyone can pick out a tune on the box, but to really give the tune its due is a different matter altogether.

Ì think even the air management, bellows control and bass usage is not something that requires lessons. Asking players in your neighbourhood and paying attention during sessions can be sufficient.

Posted by .