Metro Survey

Metro Survey

The Metro is a free newspaper for London commuters. This is a quote from a recent edition:-
"Forget people who refuse to give up their seat for pregnant passengers, what we really hate about Tube travel is commuters who look like they ‘might play the accordion’.
Bizarrely, five per cent of commuters polled said ‘simply appearing to own a squeeze box’ was enough to cause annoyance".

And that’s before they even play it!!

Having seen a cello player struggle to get her instrument through turnstiles and off and on tube trains, I would have thought an accordion was fairly innocuous!

And would most people have realised what was in the case? I often get asked what’s in my case even though I would have thought a fiddle case was quite recognisable.

Re: Metro Survey

"I would have thought an accordion was fairly innocuous!"

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

"I often get asked what’s in my case even though I would have thought a fiddle case was quite recognisable."

Guess they’ve been watching to many Gangster Movies!

too too to too

My cousin the poor cow got followed on the tube on the way to a gig by a deranged nutjob psycho fascinated by what maybe inside the box all the way from Tooting bec near springfields mental hospital right up to Kentish town on the northern line and she changed carriage several times and even changed trains once and this guy was still hovering around like a bad smell staring wildly at her whilst touching himself the funny thing is she alerted the guard at stockwell and it took until kentish town for the police to come and arrest him, now thats what I call service.

I remember a cartoon years ago in Punch.Two panels,the first one showed St. Peter at the Pearly Gates saying to newcomers,"Welcolme to Heaven,here’s your harp" and the second panel showed Satan at the gates of Hell saying "Welcolme to Hell ,here’s your accordion."

In the part of Ireland that I live in we don’t have tubes or trains or many busses. Taxis are expensive and you have to be sober to drive a car, if you can afford one. Count yourself lucky, take the flak and tell them that Nirvana used a squeezebox on ‘Jesus don’t want me for a sunbeam’. If you’re still alive after that, let me know. Alternatively, take up the harmonica

"Nirvana used a squeezebox" - OK but what did Narnia use?

Devil: "Welcome to Hell, Geoff, you already play two of the Devil’s instruments (pa & anglo) so here’s your bodhran".

Tarantula - is there any more information in the august publication you refer to, to put this astonishing hatred of putative accordianists in context?

Perhaps the "we" of the remarks was the National Helpgroup for Victims of Accordian Crime, or the Institute of Sound Artists, or some such.

Or does this claim to be from a survey of the general public?

This was a public survey - to help London Transport draw up some unofficial "rules" to help improve customer etiquette.

Dafydd, that was a "Far Side" cartoon by Gary Larson. He also had another one where a tuxedoed conductor is being ushered by Satan into a classroom full of eight year old band students. The caption is "Welcome to Hell, Maestro."

Tarantella, this one made me laugh and shake my head. I know an accordionist who people would hate to be stuck on a tube train with, but it’s not because of his instrument, it’s because he’s one of those back-slapping, hail-fellow-well-met people who would make chipper, cheery remarks at a funeral. The thought that merely carrying his box on the tube would get him shunned is almost too funny for words.

I think you have a good point, though, about what’s inside the case. My husband gets constantly questioned about what’s inside his mountain dulcimer case, and that in a small town where a fair number of people play the darned thing. (Mind you, he uses the case to carry wooden martial arts weapons to and from his practice sessions, but you can’t tell that from looking at the outside.) And I used to invariably get asked about my harp, which is pretty self-evident. ("What’s that you got there? A harp? Yeah, I thought it was a harp. It looks like a harp.") I was often tempted to tell people it was the guts of a piano.

I’ll have to remember not to carry any square boxes around London with me, then. 😉

Non musicians can be stunningly ignorant about instruments (as I am about football). When I played the guitar I was constantly asked to ‘give a tune on your banjo’ and often have my concertina called an accordion and vice versa. Anyway my accordion case looks more like one of those cases DJs carry their vinyl in, so how could anybody guess the contents? Maybe they wonder what the hell a DJ granny is like.

As for hatred of accordions, drums, etc. etc. - every instrument can sound vile in the wrong hands. Maybe it’s more to do with fashion, and of course the emperor’s new clothes syndrome, and therefore simply to be ignored.