Eek-a-Mouse’s Cork City birthday

Eek-a-Mouse’s Cork City birthday

i did a search of the discussions before posting, so i don’t *think* this is duplicating another post. if it is, my apologies.

at any rate, it seems that the jamaican reggae/dancehall DJ eek-a-mouse turned 50 last month, and happened to be in cork cityon the big day. apparently he spent most of it at the sin E bar, arriving around noon and staying until closing. at some point during that visit, eek mixed it up with the musicians from that evening’s trad session. some of what happened has shown up online in the form of a six-minute MP3 file, which you can download here: http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?t=11150

we found the download a bit slow, but the music was definitely worth the wait!

sarah in portland

Re: Eek-a-Mouse’s Cork City birthday

Ok, fair enough, each to their own. Not exactly my cup of tea, but live and let live. I believe Stockton’s Wing, and also The Red Hot Polkas have done some trad music with a big reggae back beat. Interesting to hear as a one-off, but I couldn’t sit through a festival of it. But that’s probably just me. These hybrid things never seem to last. Those people who are trad-heads retreat to their base as do the reggae-heads. Mutual rispeck all round though.

If you like this, check out Trebunie Tukti (Spelling?) - Polish Mountain Music, with the Twinkle Brothers, Probably the biggest selling Polish record of all time, and definitely the wierdest! I missed them in Zakopané this summer, on account of sitting back in the house playing with Janek - but apparently they were pretty awesome, and my boy (17) plays the CD non-stop.
But, as Danny says - it can’t last (!)

I used to be a fan of eek-a-mouse, so it was nice to hear he’s still on form.

Posted by .

I’ve always been a huge eek-a-mouse (& reggae in general) fan so it was great to hear this.
My guess is that it was better than the recording ,maybe not.
At any rate there are HUGE similarities between reggae & Irish trad music.
I played in a reggae band for about 10 years and recently have been recording some crossover stuff on pipes with one of the old members of my reggae band, just experimental , but great fun.

Listen to some Seamus Ennis & other older pipers and listen to the rhythms they play on the regulators, some of it is 100% pure reggae rhythm!
Also I recall watching a documentary on the history of reggae & one of the Jamaicans doing the voice-over commented on one of the tracks that you could hear the early influence of Irish trad music in the track that was playing.
He also added that there were several Irish people sent to Jamaica as slaves as well as their unfortunate African counterparts.
There’s no doubt that these 2 music forms can be worked together, the trick is not to compromise.
What I have found is that it’s best to record the trad & then overlay with reggae rhythms, that way neither music form is compromised !
I still prefer both on their own , I think , but they can work together.
Unfortunately I missed eek-a-mouse when he was here in Ireland, next time hopefully.
In fact coincidentally , some of the stuff we have experimented with lately was actually using some of his old riffs !

Eamonn,

I’m really curios to hear anything by Seamus Ennis (or anyone trad) that you would say on a "pure reggae rhythm." Can you cite some tracks for me to search down?