RIP Bobby Clancy

RIP Bobby Clancy

I read the message on Sept 7 that Bobby Clancy passed away. Before posting here I wanted to find an obituary to confirm the date, but haven’t yet found one online. There is a photo tribute on brother Liam Clancy’s web site.
http://www.liamclancy.com/bobby.htm

For people my age (fifty) there is a strong memory of the influence of the Clancys who impacted worldwide appreciation of Irish music. Gawd, I’ve really been feeling my age lately, and not handling it gracefully, as so many people who influenced me are passing away, and although in my mind I am about 28, I’m starting to physically feel the changes of time.

Bobby Clancy, rest in peace.

Re: RIP Bobby Clancy

Wow. That’s a great loss.

I what a program about the Clancys last night and I thought they were excellent. I’ve heard of them before but never heard to music. A real lively bunch something like the Wolfe Tones, Even better.

The Clancys were a little old-fashioned now, but on their day they created a lot of interest on Irish songs (somewhat like what Riverdance did for Irish dance). So if you go to the library, to the sheet music section, you’ll usually find old books of Clancy Brothers songs. A lot of the Irish pub repertory (at least in the US) comes directly from them.

Never heard their music? Jeez, now I’m really feeling old.

Once we were playing The Ballad of St. Anne’s (the way the CBs did it) at a session and a young fiddler was telling me that he loved the song. But he preferred the way John Denver did it to the way the Clancy Bros. did! Hope my face didn’t reveal my thoughts.

St. Anne’s Reel was one of the first tunes I ever learned, and I learned it from a Clancy Bros. cd with Ballad of St. Anne’s.

I owe you and your cohorts, Bobby — sleep the good sleep.

Zina

That is a great loss. If it makes Alice feel any better, back in the day, I had a friend whose parents were from Ireland. He sang and I played guitar at a local bar every Saturday night for two years when we were in college. His folks had every CB album at the time (yes, note the term "album" as in LP), and we used to have a great time doing a lot of their songs, and the people would show up every week. We never grew tired of playing them, and the people always joined in. Time passes, things change.

I’m going to practice "The Ballad of St. Anne’s" song and reel, and learn it well for the next session.
I wish I could have heard the brothers in person.

Posted by .