TWO Paddy O’Briens?!?

TWO Paddy O’Briens?!?

My Dad has recently realised that he and I need more Cd’s. He’s told me I can get two. I’ve just started accordion (B/C) so I want to get two accordion albums.

I have one of the Green Linnet Compilation albums which has a track from ‘The Banks of the Shannon’ by Paddy O’Brien and Seamus Connely. It is incredible, and I really want to hear more of Paddy O’Brien. The only problem is I’m now quite sure there are two accordion-playing Paddy O’Briens, one from Co. Tipperary who recorded on ‘The Banks of the Shannon’ and one from Co. Offaly who plays with the band Chulrua. While I’m sure they’re both good, the Tipperary Paddy O’Brien (who I think is deceased) is noted as being the founder of the Fiddle-emulating accordion style, and for this reason I want to hear more of him.

So my question (now that I’ve finished off another verbose introduction) is, are there two Paddy O’Briens and if so, on which albums does the late Paddy O’Brien feature?

That’s one CD. For the other CD I want to get a Billy McComiskey one, and I wanted to know which albums people thought he was best on, solo or with Trian, or with anyone else.

Thanks

Re: TWO Paddy O’Briens?!?

Yes, of course there’s two Paddy O’Briens. Paddy With The Pulse is quite well known for his tune collections and knowledge, as well. You might try doing a search for "Paddy O’Brien" for more info of the sort you want.

Almost *anything* Billy McComiskey is on is good. I quite like the Trian recordings, myself.

Paddy O’Brien of Co. Tipperary was a great accordion player and prolific and talented composer of tunes. He lived fom 1922 to 1991.

Paddy O’Brien of Co. Offaly is a great accordion player and prolific and talented collector of tunes. He lives and plays in the Minneapolis MN USA area. He was born in 1945.

As you build your cd collection, make sure to include Joe Cooley, Joe Derrane, Dermot Byrne, Mary Rafferty, and Mick McCauley. Searching any of their names in the recordings section here will pull up cds.

Posted .

Even more confusing is that they are both monumentally outstanding box players. Everyone knee-jerks toward the dead Paddy as he changed the fingering of the B/C box, and he only made a limited no. of recordings, most of which are on the Banks of the Shannon. Among trad heads this recording has become an audio-shrine, at which to worship. In danger of becoming a coffee table dinner party item, contrivedly left casually strewn. But it is an outstanding recording, the box playing untouchable, but to be honest, I find myself listening to Seamus Connelly’s offerings more.
https://thesession.org/recordings/970
https://thesession.org/recordings/630
Offally Paddy is cursed with a famous name, so he can’t do anything without being compared to an eponymous Nenagh (Tipp) box player. That old album "Is It yourself?" must surely rank as one of the finest yet laid back takes of duet players caught whilst still in the foibles (and genius) of youth, but with the depth of the tradition encapsulted in every note.

(you can tell those are two of my fave albums, can’t you?)

Oh, Will, I’m sure you’reaware of this but just to keep things just-so for kjay who was asking. Offally Paddy is a mighty composer as well. The Small Hills of Offally, The Antrim Rose for ex, are dynamite tunes and should be in every experienced trad head’s repertoire. Saarry.. don’t want to geek you out, kjay.

John Whelan is probably a good bet, as is John Williams. Anyone whose first name is John and whose last one starts with a W is probably a good bet.

I knew I was leaving something important out. Good on you, Danny. Antrim Rose is a classic!

Posted .

P.S. Jode here plays with Offaly Paddy O’Brien—I’m sure he’ll wade in when he catches sight of this thread.

Posted .

Kjay, just absorb as much as you possibly can from all sources. If you’re limited, don’t worry, there’s tons of people here who will send you CD’s and tapes with endless amounts of tunes on them. No kidding. We look after our own people on here. All you need to do is go ahead and ask. That’s what this website is about.

I thought there were 3.

Re: TWO Seamus Egans?!?

Oops… wrong thread.

People would send CD’s? Wow, that would be fantastic. The more you listen to the more styles you absorb the better a player you are, so if anyone would send me cd’s or tapes, that would be great.

Re: THREE Paddy O’Briens?!?

there is one more who plays a fiddle at tir-na-nog wandsworth london he has a nephew alan who is a great flautist / whistler

Brings to mind the story about a World War II German agent told to go to Cork where he would find a spy going by the name of Paddy O’Brien. He was told that the code phrase to indentify Paddy was "the grey goose is down the lane".

So the agent arrives in Cork where he happens upon a postman so he asks, "where he might find Paddy O’Brien?"

The postman replied, "Do you mean, Paddy O’Brien the butcher, Paddy O’Brien the box player, Paddy O’Brien the bricklayer, or perhaps you’re looking for Paddy O’Brien the priest. For that matter, my name is Paddy O’Brien as well. Could you be looking for me?"

The perplexed German, hoping by chance he might have stumbled upon the right Mr. O’Brien said, "the grey goose is down the lane."

To which the postman replied, "Oh, you’re looking for Paddy O’Brien the spy ".

You mean there’s another Paddy?

Well, none like our Paddy now of St Paul anyway. We are lucky to have him in our midst. He’s a great source of tunes, a great storyteller, a student of the music, and an inspiring player. His recordings with James and Daithi are classics. I haven’t heard the new Chulrua yet, but am excited to hear him with Patrick. (A shameless plug, a new CD from the Doon Ceili Band should be out early next year.)

I do enjoy the Banks of Shannon too. I love that set with Mayor Harrison’s in it. I learned the settings from there, with 3 parts on each tune, and still play them in sessions and gigs. There’s a book out too with Paddy from Nenagh’s tunes in it. I am not aware of any other recordings.

Both Trian recordings are brilliant, but I have to agree with Zina, I like everything I hear from Billy McComiskey. Dermot Byrne’s solo CD is brilliant.

Posted by .

Re: TWO Seamus Egans?!?

That’s right Jack. One Seamus Egan is from Offaly, and….😉

Me and some others were just discussing this at my Sesh. It seems that it is very easy to confuse the two and most people just remember Paddy with the Pulse and the dead one.

Posted by .

Can anyone tell me which O Brien composed, and on which album played is the tune ‘the new house’ ? I think I’ve asked this question before and got confused…Wendy from Wales, grandaughter of Jessie O Brien from Cork…

There’s a book of Paddy O’Brien (Nenagh) tunes, “The Compositions of Paddy O’Brien” which came out in 1992. This includes some great tunes such as The Ormond Sound, The Nervous Man, Cooley’s Hornpipe, Boys of Lough Gowna and New House jigs, etc. Copies of the book can be obtained over the internet at http://www.cranfordpub.com/books/OBrien.htm. There’s also a CD of his compositions (it does include the New House Wendyann) which features his daughter Eileen along with Nenagh box player, Willie Fogarty – see https://thesession.org/recordings/865.

Willie Fogarty was a great friend of Paddy O’Brien and transcribed much of his music. He also played in the Ormond Céilí Band which was coached by Paddy and won three All-Ireland titles back in the mid eighties. Willie, now the architect of Comhaltaslive, features Paddy’s music from time to time on the programme and by coincidence has, on this weeks programme, Dublin box player Janine Redmond playing one of his reels “The Smiling Lady” at the Letterkenny Fleadh – See http://www.comhaltaslive.ie for more details.

Thanks for all your help ‘bannerman’. No guesses what I’m buying for myself this christmas!